Elizabeth Edwards | News | Westboro Baptist Church

BigGayDeal.com

Westboro Baptist Church to Picket Elizabeth Edwards Funeral

Ee
The Westboro Baptist Church has announced plans to picket the funeral of Elizabeth Edwards. Hopefully, there will be some kind of effort to block the swine.

Their hateful flyer, AFTER THE JUMP...

Wbc_edwards

Comments

1. What is the point in your giving publicity to this evil and insane fringe group? Don't you think the point of their action was to get publicity? How are you not helping them to achieve their goal?

Posted by: Madge Weinstein | Dec 9, 2010 12:35:31 PM

2. I actually think this is a good thing. You see, a fleeting story about how they picket Matthew Shepard's funeral outraged us. The soldiers' funerals outraged more people, but doing something like this would, just maybe, make people think twice about exactly HOW they want to align themselves within the whole "god vs. gay" thing. Seeing them protest Elizabeth's funeral, and putting that picture next to the young women with signs in front of the Prop8 court with "God's Law" signs is a very very powerful image showing just how ugly homophobia gets.

Posted by: Joey Y | Dec 9, 2010 12:38:15 PM

3. Yeah ok. I get that,

Posted by: Madge Weinstein | Dec 9, 2010 12:43:11 PM

4. Garbage...that's what they are, pure and simple.

Posted by: Geoff | Dec 9, 2010 12:49:31 PM

5. Once WBC started picking on soldiers and war vets, they got a taste of what real blowback feels like.

Now they've just gone back to the sandlot where gays hang out and ladies with cancer lay dying.

See a pattern? Grab a clue yet?

Posted by: Name2 | Dec 9, 2010 12:54:36 PM

6. @Madge Weinstein and others with similar views

"What is the point in your giving publicity to this evil and insane fringe group?"

So people will protest them (this will probably end up in the national news anyway)

"Don't you think the point of their action was to get publicity?"

Yes, and no. They are looking for more supporters, which they will not get.

"How are you not helping them to achieve their goal?"

Making them known only gets more and more of the public to detest them. That is quite the opposite of getting them more supporters.

Posted by: ravewulf | Dec 9, 2010 12:58:04 PM

7. Imagine if the earth would simply open up and swallow these oxygen thieves into the depths of molten lava! Just desserts if it does!

Posted by: CKNJ | Dec 9, 2010 1:32:54 PM

8. Wow, Is that seriously their reasoning? That women deserve hell if they have a baby after one of their kids dies?

Wow, I would donate to a fund that will help secretly move the funeral to another location.

Posted by: Fenrox | Dec 9, 2010 1:54:04 PM

9. Elizabeth Edwards LIVED a tumultuous life, backing her husband's political career, losing a i6-year-old son in a horrific auto accident,facing cancer, and the consequences of her husband's infidelity. She possessed more grace in her little fingernail than the Phelps' church. This flyer constitutes HATE speech. It is time for action against these hate mongers.

Posted by: mad1026 | Dec 9, 2010 2:18:06 PM

10. this is SO hideous. what assholes. Christian? you have got to have your head buried somewhere in a sand pit in never-neverland to not realize how hurtful, and hateful these people(?) are.
    makes my blood boil--

Posted by: tinhouston | Dec 9, 2010 2:42:01 PM

11. Why have I never heard of this church before? There are no polite words to describe this evil they are spewing.
    Theirs is not the God of my life, that's for sure.
    If I was there, I wonder if I would gather thousands of my friends and just surround them with songs from the '60s, you know, and drown them out, making a mockery of them without stooping to their level. It would be SO much fun.

Posted by: Kathy | Dec 9, 2010 2:47:05 PM

12. The correct answer is.... Mormon...

Perhaps Edwards will sue and we'll see a clash of the lawyer titans.

Posted by: anon | Dec 9, 2010 3:06:27 PM

13. @PugsRule
    While yes, they are spreading the fact that the wbc is going to mock her funeral, which sadly isn't a huge shock, it also mean that if you want to go mourn, it will disrupt their protest. I'm not saying people should go taunt them with jeers, just stand across from them in a solemn prayer. Don't you think they would do more harm to themselves if they had to stand across from people that were silently protesting their protest? So people should line the path to the funeral, dressed in black or whatever, with some discrete moment that signify a cause that Mrs. Edwards supported. No signs, no talking; you're there mostly out of respect of the life of her. The fact that anyone is there to protest the wbc should be an after thought.

Posted by: Garst | Dec 9, 2010 4:08:04 PM

14. Some of these folks who they picket need to go jihad on their ass. End of story.

Posted by: ratbastard | Dec 9, 2010 4:09:54 PM

15. I live nearby and am going to protest Westboro. They should stay in Kansas.

Posted by: Stacy | Dec 9, 2010 7:35:41 PM

16. I agree MAD1026, this IS a Hate Speech, and these protests are Hate Crimes. I swear, when Fred Phelps dies (and not soon enough)they better burry him in an undisclosed area because I will find his grave and PISS ON IT!

Posted by: Jeff R. | Dec 10, 2010 7:08:35 PM

17. there was a successful counterprotest here in Raleigh yesterday... about 2k+ showed up in a very cold downpour to show respects and to counter WBC.

Posted by: Powell | Dec 12, 2010 9:39:36 AM

18. Maybe a group of people need to take the time and act as a shield or buffer from these hatefilled so-called christians. As a Christian who has sinned and in constant need of Gods mercy it saddens me to see and hear the language of satan being spewed against His people from Gods children. Lets meet these people at their own game, going to every event these people go.

Posted by: John | Jan 12, 2011 5:23:49 AM

19. To hellskitchen: NO!! I don't know about you but I WILL NOT nor can I ignore them. I will not hate them, that's what they thrive on. I will love them till it hurts. Tho i am curious, how many feel we should ignore them? How many feel we should counter this hatefilled mob with a group of concerned loving people? Let me know. Please, no vile, crude language.

Posted by: John | Jan 12, 2011 5:30:47 AM