Alabama Gov-Elect Bentley Tells Non-Christians He’s Not With Them

Isn't this a warm hello from the Governor-Elect Robert Bentley of Alabama?

The Birmingham News: Bentley

Bentley told a big crowd at Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church, where the late civil rights leader Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. once was pastor, that he believed it was important for Alabamians ''that we love and care for each other."

''I was elected as a Republican candidate. But once I became governor … I became the governor of all the people. I intend to live up to that. I am color blind," Bentley said in a short speech given about an hour after he took the oath of office as governor.

Then Bentley, who for years has been a deacon at First Baptist Church in Tuscaloosa, gave what sounded like an altar call.

"There may be some people here today who do not have living within them the Holy Spirit," Bentley said. ''But if you have been adopted in God's family like I have, and like you have if you're a Christian and if you're saved, and the Holy Spirit lives within you just like the Holy Spirit lives within me, then you know what that makes? It makes you and me brothers. And it makes you and me brother and sister."

Bentley added, ''Now I will have to say that, if we don't have the same daddy, we're not brothers and sisters. So anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother."

Said Bentley later: ''We're not trying to insult anybody."

Comments

1. Brad says

Said Bentley later: ”We’re not trying to insult anybody.”

Well he did insult and offend all non-Christians, Atheists and Christians that are not of his theological persuasion. I’m so glad I don’t live in Alabama. Wearing your religion on your sleeve is crass and ignorant. How would he feel another Governor of say Jewish or Muslim faith said something like that in a public speech? What he did is called Christianist bigotry.

2. Derrick from Philly says

Yes, MICHAEL W., I was thinking the same thing. Not only does he look like the demon preacher from Poltergeist II, he represents the same type of evil force. Christians who believe as Bentley does are evil. They believe that anyone who doesn’t worship God the same way they do is condemned to hell. If someone is already condemned–then it makes it easier to blow up their home, or put them into gas chambers, or hang them from a tree to burn them alive.

3. DG says

I really try not to be too reactionary, but this scared me. I have no doubt about his intentions, or the support he has from a greater percentage of the populace than I’d like to admit. They truly believe in a war-like stance, and I have little reason to think they have a sense of boundary.

4. FunMe says

”We’re not trying to insult anybody.” … kinda like saying, I’m not really racist, but …

Whatever they say they are not trying to do, they ARE trying to do.

These type of “people” have not place in a civilized society such as America. They are the minority who is trying to bring us down. Why didn’t they just secede?

Ugh, these CHINOs (Christian in Name Only)are such unAmerican hypocrites!

5. alabamian says

This is just par for the course here in Alabama. The first question anyone asks when they meet you here is “Where do you go to church?”. The people are friendly as long as they think you are Christian and straight. It may be wrong, but sometimes it’s just easier to pretend.

6. paul says

Michaelanglo actually opened his show talking about this…and he said it is scary because these kind of people manipulate uneducated people into believeing that what they are saying should be legal. he went back to the scary phone conversation he had with Rita from Memphis…see his youtube in Towelroad.
    this is unconstitutional and this man’s handlers should call him under the carpet and tell him….NO, it is illegal for you to be saying this!!

7. walter says

he’s taking alabama back to days when the kkk
    rode around in pickup trucks. the most scary part of this is the widespread acceptance of his speech. the people of alabama elected this clown got what they wanted. next thing this man will do will be to stand in some door way at a school and tell muslim or jews they can’t go to school there because they are not born again. too bad this clown was born the first time

8. Disgusted American says

…ahhh..so now I know…those lyrics ARE True…. “I come from Alabama with a Banjo on my kneee”

…shouldn’t that guy be standing next to some old granny type in a Portrait holding a pitchfork?

9. Roman Bolliger says

I’m so glad I’m not part of his family! That would be hell! What an arrogance to assume being his brother or one of his other crazy relatives is something that one should want. What a horror!

10. TANK says

Shouldn’t this block of wood be perched on some dude’s lap telling jokes while the guy’s hand is jammed up his ass to make his mouth move? Dontcha worry…he’s not with ya anyway…it’s alabama…cormac mccarthy couldn’t describe a worse place.

11. ted says

This was said in a church, to a church congregation, in the context of a Christian service – Not “moments after being sworn in”, NOT at a state political rally or at the inauguration. He was talking to people in the church, not to all Alabamians. This is bias on the part of the media. He was probably doing an “altar call”. Jumping on him for this is unfair.

12. Mr. E says

Being an Alabama native, I was not too terribly shocked at this. This is not uncommon down there. I don’t think he was trying to be malicious, but he should have put some thought into his statement.

Disappointingly, when it comes right down to it, he was a better candidate than his competitors in the Republican primary, like Tim James, who wanted to make sure all drivers’ tests would be taken in English, ’cause “this is America, and that’s how it should be”.

Oh, Sweet Home Alabama…