Chris Hughes | Facebook | Gay Marriage

Facebook Co-Founder And Gay Activist Partner Engaged

Cs
Facebook's Chris Hughes and his partner Sean Eldridge have announced that they are engaged. The two made the announcement at a recent reception in support of Freedom To Marry, the organization in which Eldridge serves as political director.

The New York Post reports:

"This is very timely for Chris and I to have you here tonight to celebrate marriage and work on marriage," Eldridge announced to guests. "We got engaged two weeks ago, so there is a real sense of urgency." The two decided to make their longtime relationship legal on New Year's Eve. "We were in Thailand in a hotel room in the north. We were delayed after two days in the snowstorm and Chris got down on one knee and proposed. It was very traditional and very sweet," Eldridge told us. "We've been together for five years now."

Hughes and Eldridge will wait to marry until marriage equality is introduced to New York state. Congrats, guys!

Comments

1. @kevin, does your partner know he is one thier/there typo away from being kicked to the curb? language professor or not, you haven't escaped being shallow.

i hope my lack of shift key usage and my grammar irks you into crossing the street when you see 'i'.

Posted by: mld | Jan 15, 2011 9:20:20 PM

2. I'm a writer and editor of nearly 20 years, and am far more forgiving of mistakes people make when speaking (not writing), especially in front of a crowd. I think a lot of people posting negative comments are (understandably!) jealous of this couple. I wish them the best.

Plus, he dropped of out Harvard, so how could we expect him to have proper language skills? (Kidding.) Though I've seen far more egregious misuses of this construction.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 15, 2011 9:24:35 PM

3. I met Sean briefly when I was volunteering for the Obama campaign in Chicago. Nice attractive guy.

Posted by: Damen | Jan 16, 2011 12:40:18 AM

4. 1. Is it possible to have anything resembling an egalitarian relationship with someone worth roughly $500 million, as Hughes's net worth is reported?

2. Is it even moral to be sitting on $500 million in a world where roughly 24,000 people die every day of starvation?

I'd argue the answer to both is "No."

Posted by: Sancho | Jan 16, 2011 1:56:06 AM

5. @Sancho: unless he's sold his holdings, his 5% share in Facebook is worth more like $25 billion. But I've no real idea. (I dated a billionaire---also from Internet earnings---and he was a cheap jerk; Hughes seems like a much better guy.)

Perhaps you'd be more accepting if you reviewed what he's done in his few years of limited massive wealth. For one, his latest venture is for nonprofits. For two, he's working for marriage equality. For three, are you faulting him simply because he was successful? Because, you know, rich people and less-rich people can fall in love.

In any case, when they started dating five years ago, Facebook was worth pennies on the millions relative to today. So maybe try to bite back on your bitterness.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 16, 2011 9:39:10 AM

6. Sorry, $2.5 billion.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 16, 2011 7:19:14 PM

7. which one is the rich one? the hot dark haired guy or the other one?

Posted by: jay | Jan 17, 2011 5:45:45 AM

8. My husband fractures the language every day and can't spell worth a damn. We've been gloriously happy for 25 years.

Posted by: wimsy | Jan 17, 2011 9:46:38 AM

9. This homosexual relationship will never be defined by anything more than sexual intercourse. Marriage cannot and will not define this relationship. Children cannot and will not define this relationship. Only sex defines this relationship. How unfortunate it is that our children, when learning of or seeing such relationships, cannot view the relationship independent of sexual intercourse. Because, were sex not involved, the relationship would be a friendship.

Homosexuality is defined by sex. Period

Posted by: Daniel | Jan 17, 2011 12:14:24 PM