Illinois | Pat Quinn

Illinois Governor To Sign Civil Union Law At End Of Month

Harris

According to openly gay Illinois State Representative Gregory Harris, Governor Pat Quinn will legalize civil unions legal in that state later this month. He'll do so in a ceremonial signing in Downtown Chicago.

Harris posted on his Facebook wall this morning:

"Governor Pat Quinn will sign the Civil Union Law on Monday, January 31. The signing ceremony will be in the afternoon in the Chicago Loop, and open to the public. Details will be announced early next week."

That's worth hitting the Like button for.

Comments

1. Civil unions are so 90s. It's all about full marriage equality now.

Posted by: Max | Jan 22, 2011 3:22:09 PM

2. Actually, CUs in the US are so 2000, when VT first passed CU legislation in response to the VT Supreme Court ruling. Clearly, they are not full equality, and we must always push towards full equality, but CUs can be an important stepping stone to marriage, and they provide benefits and protections to gay families who need them now.

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 22, 2011 4:03:54 PM

3. I wish that we could appreciate these small steps when they happen rather than blithely dismissing them. Right now, I don't see many states making positive steps towards gay rights. If anything, I see more of them passing discriminatory laws and constitutional amendments in the near future with their newly elected conservative majorities. I applaud the Illinois legislature for passing and the governor for signing this, and I hope that it doesn’t take them much longer to recognize that gay marriage is the not bogeyman that it’s made out to be. Personally, I’d find the passing of ENDA by congress to be more beneficial to our GLBT brethren than gay marriage, but some have more romantic notions about equality.

Posted by: Isaac | Jan 22, 2011 8:30:20 PM

4. Isaac--please show how ENDA is more important than marriage equality. I have lived in several different states and never had a problem with discrimination on the job....going back to 1979. But my legal marriage is not recognized in most other states or at the federal level. No Social Security benefits for my husband when I die, a gay tax on health insurance....and on and on. I would argue that marriage equality would affect more LGBTs on a more profound economic and general quality-of-life level than ENDA.....by far.

Posted by: StillmarriedinCA | Jan 23, 2011 1:05:01 PM

5. @StillMarriedinCA

I suppose that would be true if every LGBT was married.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Jan 23, 2011 1:44:20 PM

6. @STILLMARRIEDINCA

The New York Times just did an article that examined the latest census, which showed that the south had a larger concentration of gay families than other regions. These families weren’t concerned about marriage benefits, but economic issues related to their jobs. Many were keeping their relationships secret because they feared reprisals (i.e. harassment and/or firing) from their employers should they find out about their sexual orientation. Yes, these families would benefit from insurance benefits (which easier to pass CUs would offer), but their struggles were more employment related than not.

I don’t know in which states you've lived, but there are many gay and lesbian people out there who live in places that aren’t as obliging to their sexual orientation. The latest census also showed that, for the first time, young adults who have never been married now exceeds those who are married. Much like in Western Europe, marriage is not the end-all be-all that it used to be. As a single person who has no issues with being out in my own work life, marriage would be great, but being able to successfully support myself and not having any obstacles placed in my way by a bigoted boss or coworkers would rank first on my list of civil rights priorities.

Posted by: Isaac | Jan 23, 2011 9:57:31 PM

7. @Chitown Kev. Every LGBT has the potential of getting married. I don't know anyone who has had any problems with discrimination in the workplace. I know LOTS of people who are married (or wish to be) who face discrimination every day..... and the financial penalties are huge.
    In California alone, there are 18,000 same sex married couples who are being denied their rights in most other states and at the federal level. I don't think you could find 36,000 LGBT citizens in the whole country who have claims of discrimination in the workplace.

Posted by: StillmarriedinCA | Jan 23, 2011 10:01:29 PM