John McCain Reverses Position on 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell', Says He Will Do All He Can to Make Repeal Work

Senator John McCain, DADT' repeal's fiercest opponent in the Senate, has adopted a new position.

The Hill reports: Mccain

McCain signaled that he had made peace with the lame-duck bill to do away with the military's ban on openly gay and lesbian service members, of which he had been an outspoken critic.

"I think I have to do everything I can to make sure that the important moral, retention, recruitment, and battle effectiveness of the military is minimized as much as possible," McCain said on Fox Business. "It is a law and I have to do whatever I can to help the men and women who are serving particularly in combat cope with this new situation. I will do everything I can to make it work."

Added The Hill..."McCain said he would do whatever he could to help implement the policy's repeal."

Comments

1. I think he intended the exact opposite of his statement to MINIMISE battle effectiveness, but then again he is great at standing on both sides of every issue.

Posted by: Mike | Jan 6, 2011 10:25:01 AM

2. The only thing I care to hear reported about this whack job is his death. He is of no importance... except to a study on alzhiemers.

Posted by: Wayne | Jan 6, 2011 10:25:55 AM

3. He's a megalomaniac and a fool.He has no power to do anything except shut up, which is what we all really wish he would do.

Posted by: justiceontherocks | Jan 6, 2011 10:30:45 AM

4. You are becoming a caricature Johnny-
    time to join the rest of the retirees in your state-
    don't embarrass yourself or the people of your state anymore.....

Posted by: nick | Jan 6, 2011 10:32:28 AM

5. You can be opposed to something and then change course, but I don't see how you can be THAT opposed to something to where you're screaming your fool head off about how it'll cost lives, etc., and then suddenly say, "Oh, well, it's the law, I'll help out now." One of the positions has to be fake.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Jan 6, 2011 10:32:48 AM

6. Far from "reversing position," this interview merely establishes that his position opposing the repeal is as entrenched as ever. Him saying he'll work to "minimize" the damage is the same old whiny, truculent McCain we've come to know and loathe.

Posted by: Will | Jan 6, 2011 10:33:41 AM

7. Huh, I guess the corps that own him told him to change positions.

Posted by: Fenrox | Jan 6, 2011 10:34:55 AM

8. He is such a transparent SHITHEAD!

He knows that NONE of the doomsday scenarios that he painted are going to manifest so he's going VERY public to claim that HE will step in to "minimize" or avoid all of the horrible things that WOULD HAVE HAPPENED had HE not stepped in with his enormous powers of persuasion and mediation to prevent them.

Then, when NONE of the horrible things that he claimed would happen, which wouldn't have happened anyway, don't happen, he can claim credit and, in his mind, come out smelling like a rose.

This is all a shameless attempt by this insane egomaniac to change his place in DADT history and to try to salvage some remnant of his legacy.

It ain't gonna work. He will quite deservedly be placed in the same chapter of future history books with George Wallace, Joseph McCarthy and other hateful, ignorant bigots.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jan 6, 2011 10:38:23 AM

9. This does not sound promising. When I read:

"...I have to do everything I can to make sure that the important moral, retention, recruitment, and battle effectiveness of the military is minimized as much as possible..."

It sounds more like he wants to ensure that it's okay to discriminate against gays, call them names, and tell them they are wrong, but allow them to - in theory - serve openly. I wouldn't past him to promote a hostile environment and oppose changes to the military code as well as changes to the the anti-discrimination code. It bothers me that the first group he is concerned with is the "moral retention."

Posted by: Joe | Jan 6, 2011 10:48:52 AM

10. This man is a mass mess of confusion.

Posted by: IndyTown | Jan 6, 2011 10:53:06 AM

11. I wonder how Cindy's black eyes are. haven't seen her since she went on record supporting repeal of DADT - then suddenly backtracked from that position IN A WRITTEN STATEMENT. I haven't seen her since. I'm sure her toughguy roughed her up.

I smell co-dependency.

Posted by: Danny | Jan 6, 2011 10:54:24 AM

12. Dear Senator McCain,
    You have been reelected by selling your soul to the tea party zealots.

Now just go away. You have no power any more. No one really cares what you have to say on either side of any issue. The right has never liked you, and the left knows you cannot be trusted.

The repeal of DADT will work very well without your input.

Sincerely,
    A Grateful Nation

Posted by: Esther Blodgett | Jan 6, 2011 10:55:11 AM

13. @ Matthew Rettenmud: or he has to be a fake.

I incline to believing his flip-flopping are related unresolved issues related to PTSD. I don't think he has the insight to realize how gravely affected he was by being a POW. He will do anything he has to do to "feel safe." Any thing. Remember how he crawled to GWB and wrapped his arms around him? Just sickening. Beneath the dignity of any man to crawl to a sophomoric nobody like that. But it's all part of the same emotional sickness.

Posted by: Danny | Jan 6, 2011 11:00:54 AM

14. When some politicians reverse positions, it's admirable. Here it's just crap, like he only read the Pentagon report last week.

Also, the following statement makes no sense, and though I know his intended meaning, the injection of "moral" shows that he's just a Christian bigot.

"I have to do everything I can to make sure that the important moral, retention, recruitment, and battle effectiveness of the military is minimized as much as possible."

So he wants to minimize military effectiveness in several areas?

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 6, 2011 11:04:24 AM

15. I guess the nurse finally brought Senile, I mean Senator, Grandpa McFlip-Flop his JELLO so that he'd stop yelling at the clouds in the sky. Seriously, if we have to have a McCain in the Senate, can we let it be Meghan even though she's constitutionally too young. Geesh.

Posted by: Craig | Jan 6, 2011 11:12:46 AM

16. One thing to keep on mind... And its something our President has said many times... It is the duty of our politicians to uphold our nations laws to the best of their ability, even if they do not agree with the law.
    Personally, Iam not a McCain fan, but I feel he is setting an example... (That, or he is prepping for election season... Ha)

Posted by: Salvatore | Jan 6, 2011 11:14:02 AM

17. The great Senator McStillaDouchebag just is what we call a gobshite...

Posted by: Sean R | Jan 6, 2011 12:00:07 PM

18. Uh-oh, after showing your true colors on the DADT repeal issue last month, Senior McCain, I doubt the military needs or even wants your help. Just butt out and stay out.

This committment to help implement the eventual DADT repeal plan from THE man who could've been our current President with Mama Grizzly as his VP (which means we would have NO repeal law in place).

Posted by: Rob | Jan 6, 2011 12:26:55 PM

19. Very confused statement if accurately reported in context. He wants to do all he can to MINIMIZE moral (or did he mean morale?),retention, recruitment, and battle effectiveness of the military? Shouldn't that be maximize? Or did he mean minimize the effect of DADT on those issues? I don't think McCain is very lucid any more. Perhaps a combination of PTSD, current political stresses and even onset of Alzheimer's is affecting his cognitive abilities?

Posted by: Bob R | Jan 6, 2011 12:35:15 PM

20. Good to hear, Senator McCain. Thank you for your help. I onow you only want what's best for our military.

You see, THAT'S the tone we need to take now. No one likes a grumpy queer. :|

Posted by: ophu | Jan 6, 2011 12:42:19 PM

21. Are y'all sure he said "moral", and not "morale"? The latter is being quoted on other sites, and kinda makes a big difference in the interpretation of his statement.

That said, I wouldn't trust John McCain any further than I could throw his Medicare-reimbursed Rascal scooter.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jan 6, 2011 1:19:03 PM

22. What's frightening is that this man was a candidate for President.. What a disaster that would have been..

Posted by: Anonymous | Jan 6, 2011 1:20:45 PM

23. Spoken like a true politician. Shaking hands & Kissing Babies. McCain 2012.

Posted by: Graveetas | Jan 6, 2011 1:28:47 PM

24. @ the milkman: Very good point about the spelling. That e on the end makes all the difference.

Posted by: ophu | Jan 6, 2011 1:44:12 PM

25. Look, he's an idiot and a blowhard, but you have to know he doesn't write or distribute these things. Obviously, the statement was meant to be "impact on morale," not "important morale." It's still reprehensible in that it's part of his campaign to spin DADT repeal as this huge challenge, but it's not completely stupid or evil.

Posted by: coolbearinmd | Jan 6, 2011 1:47:45 PM