Music | Music Video | News | Ricky Martin

Watch: Ricky Martin's Video for 'The Best Thing About Me Is You'

Ricky_martin

Ricky Martin's first music video as an out gay man espouses love, equality, and reveals a man at ease with his own sexuality.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Ricky Martin is a fuckin sexy dilf.

Posted by: Jason 2 | Jan 11, 2011 12:08:23 PM

2. This video works because you're happy for him being happy; think of it as a Hallmark coming-out card and hold the criticism until his 5th or 10th new video. He's got to bring his fans along on the ride - any indication of what musical direction he's going in, Spanish and English?

Posted by: Hue-Man | Jan 11, 2011 12:21:16 PM

3. Pretty people. Boring song.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 11, 2011 12:28:21 PM

4. wow....thats the happiest I have seen ricky martin...it works.

Posted by: cw | Jan 11, 2011 12:30:31 PM

5. "Also, if you are going the "equality" route, why have only the opposite sex couple kissing?"

My guess - not to piss his Latin countries public too much.

You should try reading their hateful comments (People en Espanol, for example) when Ricky mentions his homosexuality, I bet 2 minutes will be enough to make you sick.

Posted by: Matt | Jan 11, 2011 12:42:44 PM

6. Love is the answer, Coming from a beautiful
    loving man.

Posted by: terryp | Jan 11, 2011 12:59:42 PM

7. song is lame

Posted by: kb | Jan 11, 2011 1:06:26 PM

8. This is a terrific video and a great, fun song. But, I cannot help but notice that even with all the messages and images of equality the only kisses exchanged in the video are between men and women. I might be cynical, but I don't think things like that are simply mistakes or omissions. It's a shame Ricky Martin can't commit to the message 100%.

Posted by: Brian | Jan 11, 2011 1:34:25 PM

9. @Q Thanks for your kind words. I really do understand singers who actually sing like RM here, even though I like his latin songs more.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 11, 2011 1:35:26 PM

10. I don't live in a world where gay boyfriends don't kiss.

Posted by: Randy | Jan 11, 2011 1:42:53 PM

11. I thought the song was very so so until I heard it paired with the video.

Love it!

Great job Ricky! Welcome to your wonderful new life.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jan 11, 2011 2:21:18 PM

12. Thank you, Ricky, for a lovely, feel-good song to get my day off to a great start. Love the lyrics, love the video. Maybe I'm just an old queen, but not everything has to be politically motivated.

Posted by: mad1026 | Jan 11, 2011 2:36:34 PM

13. Meh.....nice sentiment and cute hipster extras but I still don't like the song.

Happy that Ricky is out and proud but I'll pass on this one.

Posted by: Scott | Jan 11, 2011 3:08:27 PM

14. Im so depressed - clinically and chronically - that ive been considering suicide daily. For a brief moment today, this brought me a smile on my face. If only I could experience of the happiness that Ricky does in this video. So great to see an out and proud gay man. So much joy in this video. Gave me a whole new take on this song. I wish the world (and the USA) could see this equality...and what damage it does to LGBT youth and adults to grow up in a country that tells you that youre not equal and not good enough. Not that its gay-releated - altho that prob didnt help - i just wish i could experience any joy - even get a good night sleep - have a friend - get out of my house - and have a chance at life. At least Ricky will h ave a good life. Love him even more now. Good for him for doing this

Posted by: steven | Jan 11, 2011 4:35:12 PM

15. (((((Steven)))))

Posted by: Matt | Jan 11, 2011 4:42:16 PM

16. I thought it was a shampoo ad and was waiting for the actual video to appear! LOL!

Posted by: Inflammation | Jan 11, 2011 4:52:04 PM

17. Pretty people in the video, but if you close your eyes, the song itself is banal bubble-gum tripe, bouncy and meaningless. It reminds me a little of "Don't Worry, Be Happy", and that's not a compliment.

Martin does radiate happiness these days, yes, but it's the happiness a person enjoys when his brainwaves aren't disturbed by anything resembling actual thought.

Posted by: Sancho | Jan 11, 2011 5:04:34 PM

18. Hack mush. Competent performance. Derivative video. Looks and sounds like a thousand other products off the assembly line. The homogenization of homos continues.

Posted by: freestuffffffomo | Jan 11, 2011 6:22:36 PM

19. Nice video- nice to see La Ricky so happily carefree and gay.

Posted by: jaragon | Jan 11, 2011 6:44:10 PM

20. It was all about fashion and being a poseur. The crochet caps that look like a pair of underpants on the head was the last straw!

Posted by: Nelson | Jan 11, 2011 7:00:11 PM

21. mebbe it's just a matter of whitest teeth, but this piece sets off george michael wham!-era alarms, or should...there's a schlock element here

Posted by: khan | Jan 11, 2011 8:08:44 PM

22. Why do queens have to suddenly start flying rainbow flags and screaming "I'm queer" from the roof top as soon as they come out? You didn't discover gay honey. It's been around awhile...

Posted by: Chunks | Jan 11, 2011 8:21:56 PM

23. Oh, and the lady in the burqa hanging out with the homos and lezzies? Not in this lifetime sweetie. Dreaming doesn't make it so.

Posted by: Chunks | Jan 11, 2011 8:25:58 PM

24. I liked the video and the song. I enjoyed viewing the diversity represented there. I only remember one kiss in the entire video, and yes, it wasn't between two men or two women, but neither was it between a white man and a black woman or between the two people of seemingly different religions.

So I don't get the snide remarks here. I do recall one scene between two men who had their foreheads touching, as if they were close to kissing. It was intimate, anyway.

Intimacy doesn't have to be represented by kissing.

Nice video, Ricky.

Posted by: Randy* | Jan 11, 2011 10:39:18 PM

25. Welcome back, Ricky Martin! I will definitely buy his new CD when it is released! We need to support GLBT artists!

Posted by: Michael G. Williams | Jan 12, 2011 12:06:15 AM