BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Navy Captain Loses Permanent Command of Ship; Two More Raunchy Videos Released

Honors

Captain Owen Honors has been permanently removed from his duties (not temporarily, as reported last night) over a series of raunchy videos he produced and broadcast to the crew of the USS Enterprise in 2006 and 2007, when he was then XO.

"A replacement commander is expected be named at 2 p.m., although the ship will still sail in two weeks for a war zone. Honors is not expected to be kicked out of the Navy, but losing command of the carrier will surely end his career advancement."

The AP looks back on Honors' career...

And Pete Clark, the veteran sailor who served under Eric ("snorkeler") Massa, mounts an impassioned defense of Honors in the Atlantic...

Two additional videos in the series he produced for his ship have been released.

You can view them, AFTER THE JUMP...

Video 2:

Video 3:

Comments

1. Okay, I officially like this guy now. It wasn't the funniest video ever, but it was lighthearted & he's clearly not homophobic. He seems like an alright guy. Too informal in his capacity as an officer I guess, but smart and competent nonetheless.

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Jan 4, 2011 11:45:59 PM

2. Look, I do expect people that are paid to kill and maim to blow off a little steam and do it in ways that aren't exactly appropriate at dinner parties. That said, I think his behavior shows an incredible lack of judgment and I'm shocked by the willingness of so many posters to excuse it. I mean how exactly did this guy get two women and two men to get into the shower together in some sort of same-sex charade. Would they have felt comfortable saying no to the xo?

Many of my relatives served in the military. They always said that the military was supposed to represent the best in us. This guy's behavior wasn't anywhere close to that.

Posted by: BMF | Jan 5, 2011 12:00:51 AM

3. Has anyone noticed that Capt. Honors (love the name), when described in the press, never has a family mentioned. And he has no wedding ring.

And he's got a pierced ear. Check out the still in this story. Left ear pierced. On a 49 year old man.

I'm not implying anything whatsoever.

And while I have the floor: I watched the video. I'm gay. I wasn't offended. I was kinda amused. This whole thing is dumb.

Posted by: AMcA | Jan 5, 2011 12:03:59 AM

4. You know the more you think about it, a good hunch is that Honors *is* actually gay and that most of his coworkers know it and don't give a damn, but that because of DADT, until repeal is implemented they never ever can or had discussed it. So these vids were like a big in-joke about the stupidity of the policy.

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Jan 5, 2011 12:42:02 AM

5. Why didn't anybody teach these guys how to speak English? "Potable" has nothing to do with pots.

Posted by: Randy | Jan 5, 2011 2:18:06 AM

6. Am I missing somehing here. Just looks like stupid straight men out at sea. The gay jokes were nothing one wouldnt see on prime time. So am I desensitized to homophobia? or are homosexuals being too sensitive?

Posted by: stevenelliot | Jan 5, 2011 3:23:16 AM

7. He deserves everything he gets

Posted by: Stephen | Jan 5, 2011 5:56:41 AM

8. Did I miss something? Raunchy?

Posted by: Greg | Jan 5, 2011 7:43:51 AM

9. Here's an idea: Let's have grownups in charge of our war machines.

Posted by: wimsy | Jan 5, 2011 9:46:49 AM

10. It's wrong on a lot of levels but for a person to loose his career I don't think so. What's with people and this stupid risking behavior? At the most bust him down a few ranks. He looks like hes been in the Navy for a long time and to think this wouldn't get out by someone that has it in for him is pure stupid. Nothing is surprising in human behavior these days.

Posted by: wslandry | Jan 5, 2011 10:27:23 AM

11. I would hazard a guess that the repeal of DADT IS the reason that these old videos are coming to public light as the XO is clearly a gay man. You folks do have gaydar right?

Posted by: Dave | Jan 5, 2011 10:45:23 AM

12. This is a joke. This poor guy is being crucified for something silly that was meant lighten everyone up. To all the negative commentators, until you have spent six months or more eating sleeping and working around the clock on a ship in the middle of nowhere (which I have), Shut the frak up, because you have no idea what you are talking about. Anyone who finds this offensive, is way too sensitive, and should lock themselves up away from the world and any kind of media in general.

Posted by: Jay | Jan 5, 2011 11:56:06 AM

13. To those of you defending this tasteless clown: Should the officers of our military have any standards that they have to live up to? Is there anything that they could do that would make you question their judgement? Should we eliminate the code of conduct? Should we do away with rules in the workplace? Is sexual harassment by your boss ever not ok? How many times does someone have to call someone else a 'fag' before you take offense? 5? 10? 20? Or is it all just good fun? Is portraying yourself eating feces and broadcasting it to your employees ever considered raunchy? Only sometimes? Never?

Posted by: StillmarriedinCA | Jan 5, 2011 12:01:38 PM

14. I've been unable to watch the original video that was released but have seen both of these and I don't see the big problem, nothing raunchy at all. Maybe it wasn't the best judgement by an XO to be involved but I can see his attempt to keep the spirits of the crew upbeat while dong a very difficult job. The GLBT community needs to stop being so sensitive and be able to laugh at ourselves a bit more. Honors should not be run out of the military unless his other videos were A LOT worse.

Posted by: Rick Smith | Jan 5, 2011 4:18:47 PM

15. Capt. Owen Honors is a physically attractive man with boyish good looks, a seemingly winning personality and, to some, a refreshingly carefree sense of humor.
    I wonder, if he looked like Jack Nicholson, and had the humor of a John McCain, would those gay men who see nothing harmful in Honors' videos still be defending him?
    Just wondering ...

Posted by: David McCain | Jan 5, 2011 5:03:56 PM

16. The point is -- this career narcissist has such questionable judgment that he thought it was appropriate to spend tax dollars on sophomoric jokes that perpetuate white-male-entitlement, reinforce homophobia and celebrate the sexual objectification of women. The issue is not the quality of his comedy -- but the character of his leadership.

Good riddance.