Elton John | Joel Osteen | News | Piers Morgan

BigGayDeal.com

Pastor Joel Osteen: Homosexuality is 'a Sin', Elton John and David Furnish are Sinners

Osteen

Megachurch pastor Joel Osteen tells Piers Morgan, in a show airing on Wednesday, that homosexuality is a sin:

"The scriptures shows that it's a sin. But you know, I'm not one of those that are out there to bash homosexuals and tell them that they're terrible people and all of that. I mean, there are other sins in the Bible too...I don't believe homosexuality is God's best for a person's life."

Osteen has spewed his "God's best" BS before on The View.

He then goes on to tell Morgan that Elton John and David Furnish are sinners, and explains why:

"Well, it's strictly back to what the scripture says. I mean, I can't grab one part and say God wants you to be blessed and live an abundant life, and not grab the other part that says, you know what? You know, live that kind of life. So it comes back to the scripture. I'm not the judge. You know, God didn't tell me to go around judging everybody."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Anyone who uses Leviticus to advocate against gay people but ignore all of the other restrictions are baseless hypocrites. Joel Osteen is at the top of the list.

God needs better people.

Posted by: Polyboy | Jan 24, 2011 3:33:45 PM

2. Please, please, please Piers:
    ask him about how many Adulters he has executed; or of he wants to ban Red Lobster; or if he wants to see legislation to execute children who disrespect their parents; or any of the other parts of the Bible that Christianists NEVER seem to follow, even as they are lying that they 'can't cherry-pick God's word'.

Posted by: Strepsi | Jan 24, 2011 3:35:42 PM

3. mmmm doesn't completely undertand it but is completely comfortable calling it a sin.

Posted by: Mark | Jan 24, 2011 3:39:45 PM

4. Those are mixed fabrics he's wearing, aren't they.

So much for cherry-picking God's words. I'll take him seriously when he calls for the stoning of adulterers.

Posted by: Mana | Jan 24, 2011 3:39:53 PM

5. Okay, this is nothing that's any different that Osteen has said before, so why is it newsworthy now?

Posted by: Jerry | Jan 24, 2011 3:41:05 PM

6. @Strepsi or how many cocks Joel has had in his ass

Posted by: AlexM | Jan 24, 2011 3:41:57 PM

7. "I'm not the judge. You know, God didn't tell me to go around judging everybody."

That's exactly what you're doing, dickwad.

Posted by: Chris K | Jan 24, 2011 3:42:04 PM

8. Reminds me of the article "The problem with taking the Bible literally - a letter to Dr. Laura" that appeared back in 2006 (Google it). The argument that you can't pick and choose your scriptures is just not realistic.

POLYBOY is right about Leviticus. Here is one example from that letter: Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can’t I own Canadians?

Posted by: Steve | Jan 24, 2011 3:42:23 PM

9. @Strepsi

This is what I can never ever ever understand.

Posted by: jjasonham | Jan 24, 2011 3:42:29 PM

10. And yet he's judgemental.
    I've watched his show and show it is, calculated, staged performance to people who think they are the best possibly can be. Every two minutes they applaud to themselves. And the message: You straights sitting here with me are perfect, everyone different needs to 'heal' adn become like us (applauds), now donate some money to our mission (applauds).

So transparent, so lame, so unwatchable.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 24, 2011 3:44:28 PM

11. Mega Church Preachers. They're all flimflam thieves, but not one them comes anywhere near looking as good as Burt Lancaster. Not one.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 24, 2011 3:45:14 PM

12. As much as I truly HATE Christianity - all forms of it - I do have to admit that I've never heard this guy talk about us or gay bash in his sermons, and I used to watch several of the televised preachers to get ammo for arguments. I thought many times when I watched Osteen that I might as well have been watching Dr. Phil; it was the same kind of therapy/"how's that working for you?" talk, no politics.

But I still maintain all religion is evil.

Posted by: kc | Jan 24, 2011 3:46:37 PM

13. You can't ride the fence because sooner or later you're going to fall on the post and its going to get shoved up your ass so far!!

Posted by: alexInBoston | Jan 24, 2011 3:48:21 PM

14. Is living an abundant life by cherry-picking the collection plate 'a sin', Joel?

Posted by: kansastock | Jan 24, 2011 3:48:54 PM

15. I hope he thinks of "sin" next time he eats a shrimp or a porkchop.

Posted by: John Normile | Jan 24, 2011 3:50:45 PM

16. His hair-don't is a sin.

Posted by: homer | Jan 24, 2011 3:50:46 PM

17. osteen is also one of the main architects of the housing crisis (atlantic monthly 12/09). by preaching a gospel of prosperity and exhorting his congregants that THEY TOO could be part of the american dream, he convinced a lot of people to buy into the junk mortgages that are now having their disasterous effect on the market.

Posted by: alguien | Jan 24, 2011 3:51:57 PM

18. Well christianity is a mental illness, so this guy's opinion is entirely irrelevant.

Posted by: SteveC | Jan 24, 2011 3:58:35 PM

19. ..andone who puts any kind of HOPE into these TV preachers deserves the heartache that follows....another loser....I don't judge gay people, but.........

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jan 24, 2011 4:01:24 PM

20. ..and I love this line from Osteen .."I don't believe homosexuality is God's best for a person's life."

...so in other words...GOD wants Men to eat and Pound Pussy..and Women to Lay Missionary take said Cock pounding,and perform oral on thier man.

Basically he might as well say that - cause thats what they mean......they think gay sex is icky

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jan 24, 2011 4:04:08 PM

21. He's entitled to his opinion. But in America he won't win the Civil Rights fight any more than the racial bigots won the Civil Rights fight in the 1950s-1960s. Remember they used the Bible to demonize Black Americans. And of course the Radical Religious Extremists used the Bible to demonize Women when they wanted to be treated as equal citizens. As others have said, this is nothing new nor newsworthy.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Jan 24, 2011 4:05:20 PM

22. Read more about queer issues on my blog! http://thegailyforward.com/

Posted by: Cruz | Jan 24, 2011 4:07:12 PM

23. He has the same look of Ted Haggard. Spends WAY too much time thinking about gay sex.

We all know what that means.

It's just a matter of time.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jan 24, 2011 4:09:15 PM

24. I think his tie is a sin. He needs gays more than they need him.

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Jan 24, 2011 4:12:17 PM

25. I'm reminded of an old Janet Reno joke, and I will just plug in Pastor Osteen's name in place of Ms. Reno's.

"I don't know if Joel Osteen is gay, but his hair sure is."

Posted by: Esther Blodgett | Jan 24, 2011 4:14:42 PM