Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Gordon Klingenschmitt | Military | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Former Navy Chaplain Favors Exorcisms to 'Cure' Gays

Pakman

David Pakman interviews sexist wingnut former Navy Chaplain Gordon Klingenschmitt about 'DADT'. Klingenschmitt claims that gay men actually have women inside of them and need exorcisms to rid them of their demonic homosexual impulses.

"It's the only spiritual solution to a spiritual disease."

Really a must-watch piece of nuttiness, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Ugh... sometimes people spewing their disgusting and ignorant ideas like this just make me want to vomit.

Oh, and can someone please explain "manliness" to me? An entire class of college seniors couldn't come up with any kind of answer after a semester of studying gender in literature.

Posted by: Bradley | Jan 22, 2011 4:26:53 AM

2. Pakman's pretty damn cute and he certainly asked the right questions to make the poor boxed-in chaplain expose his ignorance and bigotry.

The chaplain, meanwhile, lives in a different world than I do. His story about the Lesbian whom he "converted" is classic gay-conversion tripe. When he told of her breaking down into tears all I could think of is the zillions of gay people all over the world who have similarly wept--some as they moved a step closer to their suicides; some as they moved a step deeper into a life that is a protracted spiritual death.

I like that Pakman showed how deeply misogynistic and simplistic the dude is.

Posted by: Danny | Jan 22, 2011 1:22:27 PM

3. I don't recall that the phrase, "open homosexuality" played a part in the survey taken on the repeal of DADT. And I very much doubt if most service personnel parse the issue in quite that way. Fearful bigots would, of course, but most guys--and their girls--have had self-identified gay family members and gay friends for years and don't even think of it as an issue.

Posted by: Danny | Jan 22, 2011 1:31:15 PM

4. @Roman Bolliger: I think you're right. The language he uses is revealing. You also identified the line of logic he has unconsciously constructed in which he identifies the feminine with the demonic. It's an outgrowth of the way some traditions spin the Adam & Eve story.

Overall, I'd say you're right on the money when you identify the chaplain's anxiety and his hatred. Over the years of my life experience it has been forced on my consciousness that the things I have most loathed in others turned out to be traits I shared with them.

Posted by: Danny | Jan 22, 2011 1:42:17 PM

5. This guy is a dumb-ass! If he thinks we are less "manly" than he is, he seems to conveniently forget that he (and others like him) is the one that is so very worried about the shower sharing with those demon gays. Man up buttercup and quit your whining! If that is the biggest concern you have that those demon gays might be looking at you, you clearly are too much of a pansy-ass to be in the military.

Posted by: GrecoDutch | Jan 22, 2011 6:18:19 PM

6. Why is it the most UNATTRACTIVE men think gays are after them?

Posted by: CM | Jan 23, 2011 12:09:32 PM

7. So this guy supports anyone doing any job in the military if they're able to, but not if they're gay or if they're a woman? Never mind the religious aspects, this guy's morals and philosophy are all messed up! As an officer of a foreign military where homosexuality is not illegal, having spent almost 3 years working in the US military, I can honestly state that my sexuality had no impact on the job I was assigned to do - nor should it. People don't care what you get up to in your private life, if you are gay, straight or otherwise, provided you do your damn job.

Thank you David for giving a voice to this clearly deluded and hypocritical man. The media needs to put these sorts of people to air to demonstrate for themselves how ignorant, biased and borderline crazy they truly are.

Posted by: Mike | Jan 24, 2011 9:55:05 AM