Arnold Schwarzenegger | Austria | News

BigGayDeal.com

Schwarzenegger's Mom Took Him to the Doctor Because She Thought He Was Gay

Arnold

Arnold Schwarzenegger tells the Austrian newspaper Krone that he had so many posters of oiled bodybuilders on his walls as a kid that his mom took him to the family doctor because she thought he was gay. The doctor tried to calm her down by reassuring her that at least he didn't drink and smoke.

Here's  the Google translation.

And a better translation by our commenter Chris (thanks!):

"(One) of of my favorite stories from when I was young. As a young boy my room was plastered with photos of bodybuilders. Naked, oiled male bodies. That got my mother so concerned, she asked our family doctor one day to take a look at that. 'Other boys put images of women on their walls, and mine does this!' She actually believed I was gay. Well, that's nothing wrong, but for her it was unimagineable back then. However, the doctor, a wise man, calmed her down. Everyone had idols, he said, others would hang up pictures of the Beatles, even though they were men as well. "Look at it like this, Mrs. Schwarzenegger: as an athlete he surely won't start to smoke or drink!" That assured her. Her worry lines stayed though."

Comments

1. Of course the real concern is the damage to his heart from Steroid abuse. But in order to win one must often sacrifice.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Jan 19, 2011 12:16:23 PM

2. Better translation:

Of of my favorite stories from when I was young. As a young boy my room was plastered with photos of bodybuilders. Naked, oiled male bodies. That got my mother so concerned, she asked our family doctor one day to take a look at that. "Other boys put images of women on their walls, and mine does this!" She actually believed I was gay. Well, that's nothing wrong, but for her it was unimagineable back then. However, the doctor, a wise man, calmed her down. Everyone had idols, he said, others would hang up pictures of the Beatles, even though they were men as well. "Look at it like this, Mrs. Schwarzenegger: as a athlete he surely won't start to smoke or drink!" That assured her. Her worry lines stayed though.

Posted by: Chris | Jan 19, 2011 12:32:55 PM

3. (Tongue hangs out of mouth) - LORD! So young and so buff... that's our Gov.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Jan 19, 2011 12:35:18 PM

4. Thank you, Chris! That was actually a cute anecdote from a man that has been rather reviled in the LGBT world. I like how he noted basically (and this is becoming common amongst many people), "not that there's anything wrong with that". Also noting truths about stereotypes and the eras in which we grow up in...

Well, he certainly was cute for a young bodybuilder way back when.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Jan 19, 2011 12:38:45 PM

5. Naw, that's a google "translation" FTW... wow, and when people tell me that "voice to text translation is HERE," I can only laugh and laugh and laugh...

Posted by: BEG | Jan 19, 2011 12:41:36 PM

6. Actually, the translation you posted is really not that far off from the way he sounded as Governator. Although, I believe he would have said his mother was worried that he was a girlie man.

Posted by: StillmarriedinCA | Jan 19, 2011 12:45:24 PM

7. Has it been removed? I can't find the story in the Krone interview.

Posted by: David L Rattigan | Jan 19, 2011 12:59:47 PM

8. Never found Arnold attractive, but I gotta admit, he was cute when he was young.

I, too, and getting tired of the whole "not that there's anything wrong with that" caveat. Seems to be the ultimate way to relinquish any responsibility for what you say.

Posted by: Austin | Jan 19, 2011 1:00:32 PM

9. There are three parts to the Krone interview - it's in there somewhere. You may have to click around to other links on that page.

Posted by: Andy Towle | Jan 19, 2011 1:07:25 PM

10. Actually, a more precise translation of "Ist ja nichts Schlimmes" in this context is "For sure, that is nothing bad."

No caveat there.

Coincidentally, I just met him in Sun Valley over the holidays and we chatted briefly in German. He was very friendly and put out his hand to shake mine.

Btw, I had previously known the director of the movie that made him famous, "Pumping Iron", who is very gay to say the least. It's clear Arnie doesn't have any personal difficulties with gay people, and is secure in himself.

Posted by: Patrick M | Jan 19, 2011 1:15:10 PM

11. I think we need to give Arnie a break. When you get into politics, you have to do a rather delicate dance to stay elected while compromising your ideals as little as possible, and while admittedly he wasn't very light on his feet, I believe he's still ready to help us. :| Probably more so than some of us are ready to help him.

Posted by: ophu | Jan 19, 2011 1:21:14 PM

12. Ah, okay, I looked around for other pages, but didn't find them at first. The layout was pretty bad. Cheers.

Posted by: David L Rattigan | Jan 19, 2011 1:22:35 PM

13. @Patrick M: you're right, bad is better than wrong, I had also initially used that but dropped it somehow. And the first word is "one" not a second "of". Two typos in such a short text, I'll put my nose in a corner now...

Posted by: Chris | Jan 19, 2011 1:24:57 PM

14. Give him a break? He betrayed gay people almost every opportunity he had - until he was no longer running for office again.

Posted by: Dan P | Jan 19, 2011 1:33:38 PM

15. "I believe he's still ready to help us."

Yeah, I'm sure that someday the stars will align just perfectly so he can actually do something to help.

Posted by: BobN | Jan 19, 2011 3:06:22 PM

16. Ahnold is an opportunist of the worst stripe, an big hypocrite, a terrible governor, and a traitor to friends.

"Another of Schwarzenegger’s early benefactors, Leigh says, was Paco Arce Gomez, a Spanish millionaire and renowned gay playboy. In a 1992 Spy magazine profile of the Conan the Barbarian star, Arce was credited as the lensman behind a series of photos [like the one above right] from the Austrian’s early days, showing him 'eating breakfast off of very fancy china wearing a tank top and tight underwear.' (Schwarzenegger also posed nude for homoerotic photog Robert Mapplethorpe at least three times in the seventies and famously appeared naked in a 22-photo spread in now-defunct gay rag After Dark.)

"Paul Barresi, an L.A.-based private investigator who claims P.I. Anthony Pellicano hired him before the 2002 election to 'look into' any compromising relationships the then-prospective candidate still had in the demimonde, said he was 'shocked that Arnold would turn his back on the very people who were obviously so helpful to him. In fact, Arnold even met his wife, Maria [Shriver], though his friendship with a gay member of Maria’s family.'

and

Posted by: cholly | Jan 19, 2011 4:05:21 PM

17. Schwarzenegger is a very down to Earth, genuinely friendly guy. I know several people [all nobodies] who have met him, all by chance, over the years. They all say the same thing. One of my brothers was with a friend from his universities student newspaper when they interviewed him back about 20 years ago. He insisted on going out with them to a local dive bar afterwards. Another friend of mine met him and his kids at a McDonalds on Cape Cod in Massachusetts [probably visiting Ted Kennedy at the time]. Very down to Earth.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 19, 2011 11:19:02 PM