Watch: 'In The Life' Looks at Samuel Steward

Steward

I've mentioned the book Secret Historian here before. In The Life, which is broadcast on PBS affiliates, took a closer look at the book and its author, Justin Spring. They write:

"A self-invented legend, Samuel Steward lived as an out gay man decades before the 1969 Stonewall Rebellion. Sam's far-reaching impact includes detailed journals and recordkeeping which were invaluable to the studies of Alfred Kinsey and artistry that inspired famed designer Ed Hardy."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(portions possibly nsfw)

Comments

1. I reviewed the book for "Out" magazine. it's an absolute Must Read if you want to know anything aboyt gay life -- now as much as in the past.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 5, 2011 11:05:53 PM

2. Just for the sake of clarification, "In The Life" is aired on PBS affiliates. Logo occasionally will run rebroadcasts, but the show's home has always been on PBS.

Posted by: Richard Farias | Jan 5, 2011 11:39:32 PM

3. Thanks for posting this. I forgot about "In The Life". Great show.

Posted by: Kenton | Jan 5, 2011 11:41:27 PM

4. That was fascinating. I find LGBT history very engrossing. I can't imagine what it was like to be an out gay man back than. It makes being out now look very easy.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jan 6, 2011 12:29:53 AM

5. Reading about gay life prior to the 60's-70's revolution is fascinating.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 6, 2011 12:51:04 AM

6. Thanks for this post, especially since in chicago at least, 'in the life,' is on past midnight, on sundays, once in a blue moon. sucks, that. by the way, my boyfriend gave me the book for christmas -- weird, i know -- and it is absolutely fascinating. steward was a horndog - must have had sex with hundreds of guys, including Bosie, Rudolph Valentino, famous literary folks, etc. an amazing book and quite a life, as well.

Posted by: james | Jan 6, 2011 1:06:19 AM

7. it is a great book. am rereading right now.

Posted by: titus | Jan 6, 2011 1:26:48 AM

8. You mean there were gays before 1969?

Posted by: Brad | Jan 6, 2011 6:05:37 AM

9. Great Post. It's really interesting to hear about this kind of thing. Reminds me of the Thief's Journal by Genet

Posted by: Conor Stuart | Jan 6, 2011 6:05:45 AM

10. this was a terrific book; a must read for all gays. when you think we have it tough now, they had it even tougher in the 20-60s. also what a character.

Posted by: jgm22 | Jan 6, 2011 9:26:29 AM

11. Browsing the book I found myself agreeing with Cocteau and the rest of the French gays who found him tawdry. No style.

Posted by: Jimbo | Jan 6, 2011 10:12:57 AM

12. A spectacular and very important book. I got it for a trip to Berkeley (where Steward lived and worked toward the end of his life) in August, and missed most of what was going on with friends because I couldn't put it down.

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Jan 6, 2011 10:46:00 AM

13. Um...is 900 guys alot?

Posted by: Com Truise | Jan 6, 2011 1:19:08 PM

14. This book is great!! I couldn't put it down and living in Chicago it was especially touching and connecting. I highly recommend it to every gay man to read. It really changes the impression of what it once meant to be gay.. I hope we have more historians like Professor Spring, in capturing the lost history of LGBT peoples.

Posted by: Mitchell | Jan 6, 2011 5:51:31 PM