Books | News

Watch: 'A Wrinkle in Time' in 90 Seconds

Wrinkle

As a coda to last night's post, this was one of my favorites as a kid. A classic.

It's the first entry in the 90-second Newbery contest, in which entrants are asked to make a brief film of a Newbery Award-winning book. The Newbery is the most prestigious award for children's lit. I'm not sure what somebody who has never read A Wrinkle in Time would make of this clip, but for those of you who have (and I think that's plenty of you), this should bring back some amusing memories.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

"A Wrinkle In Time" In 90 Seconds from James Kennedy on Vimeo.

Comments

1. Very nice. And hey, isn't the song playing during the credits "Johnny Are You Queer?"

Posted by: David R. | Jan 19, 2011 1:37:35 PM

2. Very cute and very good! One of my all time favorite books. It was one of the very first full-length novels I'd ever read and got me started on a lifetime love affair with books!

Posted by: Brad | Jan 19, 2011 1:42:14 PM

3. I see the whole series is available for Kindle. I read it as a child and didn't quite get it, but I was FASCINATED. Hope to reread this year . . . so added to wishlist to remind me to download.

Posted by: Alejandro | Jan 19, 2011 1:47:24 PM

4. Oh my gosh, how awesome! Totally brought back memories.

Now I wanna see a version with a drag trio of Mrs. Who, Whatsit and Which. =)

Posted by: Austin | Jan 19, 2011 1:48:34 PM

5. The song is Telstar by the Tornadoes.

Posted by: Natira | Jan 19, 2011 1:52:51 PM

6. I played Charles Wallace in a school play version as a child. Now that I think about it, it was a lot like this.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 19, 2011 2:42:34 PM

7. In the 5th grade, while attending a conservative Christian school where such fare was not encouraged, I discovered this book which was my entry into sci-fi/fantasy. They can tear my autographed copy out of my cold, dead hands!

Posted by: KJ | Jan 19, 2011 3:10:03 PM

8. "I am popular but sensitive (AND gay)."

Posted by: Critifur | Jan 19, 2011 3:34:35 PM

9. Eh...Not a fan.

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Jan 19, 2011 3:37:26 PM

10. This is also one of my all time favorite series from my childhood. I was crushing on Calvin. I have yet to read anything past A Swiftly Tilting Planet. Many Waters, etc.

Posted by: Critifur | Jan 19, 2011 3:40:57 PM

11. Not a big fan of the book either. Surprised that a Christian school would discourage reading it as it is very pro-Christian and anti-Marxist. It's pro-female POV might get some conservatives upset, but I think they might not have actually read it.

Posted by: anon | Jan 19, 2011 3:51:30 PM

12. No Aunt Beast?

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jan 19, 2011 4:58:24 PM

13. Hello, this is James Kennedy, the organizer of the "90-Second Newbery" film festival. Thanks for posting and spreading the world!

@Mike in the Tundra: We actually shot a part with Aunt Beast, but it ended up on the cutting room floor. 90 seconds goes by pretty quick.

If anyone has kids or nieces or nephews and a video recorder, consider making something for the contest! We'll have a star-studded premiere of the 90-Second Newbery films at the New York Public Library this fall.

Thanks again!