News

Watch: Girl Falls in Mall Fountain While Texting

Texting

In NYC, I'm always afraid I'm going to fall into one of those subterranean sidewalk staircases while checking my email. Ah, the perils of social networking.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via buzzfeed)

Comments

1. The moral of the story is don't walk and text. When I see those people in NYC I just want to scream. How hard is it to pull aside and stand against a building to send out a quick text?

Posted by: Alejandro | Jan 14, 2011 4:49:31 PM

2. Ha ha ha! Oooooh, dip. That was awesome. This is why I am still completely unashamed to watch America's Funniest Home Videos: People falling into things is funny.

Posted by: finkles2000 | Jan 14, 2011 4:50:28 PM

3. My partner took a dive into the fountain at a Hyatt while on a business trip. He wasn't texting or talking on the phone. He's just clumsy.

Posted by: BobN | Jan 14, 2011 5:15:15 PM

4. Mortifying! One day this is gonna be me.

Posted by: JimNotMike | Jan 14, 2011 5:25:28 PM

5. The sad thing is she will go get in her car and drive while texting....some people never learn.

Posted by: gb | Jan 14, 2011 5:48:03 PM

6. Being an old timer (over 40) I remember when you actually had to date someone before you knew they were a loser. Now all you have to do is look for someone texting/phoning while ignoring all else. It’s his or her world everyone else is just living in it.

Posted by: ggreen | Jan 14, 2011 6:00:09 PM

7. High-larious!

Posted by: Tom | Jan 14, 2011 6:09:26 PM

8. If that happened to me, I'd like to just walk away as well

Posted by: Steve | Jan 14, 2011 6:10:26 PM

9. Only in NYC would somebody have a bad fall like that and nobody even reacts or offers to help her. What if she'd hit her head and drowned, would anyone have even blinked and eye or save her? Yeah the girl is foolish, but I think the lack of humanity of everyone else is breathtaking.

Posted by: Brad | Jan 14, 2011 6:19:43 PM

10. Brad: Who said this occurred in NYC??? Andy said HE fears falling into open basement stairs while walking & emailing in NYC.

Posted by: McCoysMarketNYC | Jan 14, 2011 6:28:16 PM

11. These people are candidates for the Darwin awards - no sympathy!

Posted by: Steve | Jan 14, 2011 6:47:00 PM

12. I don't think it happened in NYC. The mall wasn't particularly full anyway (Oh, sad mall!). And believe me -- no matter where you live, no one's going to do anything.

Posted by: finkles2000 | Jan 14, 2011 8:17:15 PM

13. Basements sometimes open right onto sidewalks in NYC. Many people may not be familiar with such a concept because they don't exist where they live. My favorite chill spot growing up was in one of those basements. Kind of dangerous in bad weather or when you're distracted or whatever.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 14, 2011 8:33:23 PM

14. I was walking down the street in Boston 3 days ago when a woman fell. EVERYONE in the vicinity [8-10 people,myself included] stopped immediately to help. I called 911, others stayed with her until cops and emt arrived. So, in some places at least, people will stop to help others.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 14, 2011 8:37:30 PM

15. Yea no one would have helped her cuz there aren't people like Daniel Rodriguez in the world (the gay staffer who ran toward the sound of gunfire to save Gabby Giffords). Yea some of you make a good point, most if not all human beings are horrible self involved creatures. LOL. You are so smart! :-)

Posted by: Lazlo | Jan 14, 2011 9:56:26 PM

16. I watch this activity of mindless walking while testing and it just baffles me. I have bad feet and I watch where I am going. people are top heavy creatures and take for granted many things when theyre walking around. Like texting when crossing an intersection.....

Posted by: stevenelliot | Jan 14, 2011 11:17:10 PM

17. Evolution will solve this problem. In a few years, people will evolve eyes that move independently of each other - like chameleons. Those people that don't, will drown in malls or crash their cars.
    Darwin will be proud.

Chameleon eyes - soon to be available on humans:

Posted by: gr8guyca | Jan 14, 2011 11:48:00 PM

18. My bad the guys name is Daniel Hernandez. :)

Posted by: Lazlo | Jan 15, 2011 12:20:55 AM

19. That's incredible!

Posted by: LJC | Jan 15, 2011 1:02:42 AM

20. Meanwhile, the electronics store was robbed...

Posted by: Randy | Jan 15, 2011 1:27:40 AM

21. The obsession with cell phones is offensive. People have become more inconsiderate of others, especially women. And the fact that more communication technology increases, the the less people actually communicate better with each other.

Posted by: nikko | Jan 15, 2011 1:32:59 AM

22. Frequent texters are a danger to society. Imagine if this woman was behind the wheel of a car. There is almost something pathological about this current obsession with texting. It shows a definite lack of emotional and mental maturity.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 15, 2011 2:46:30 AM

23. You've gotta be fuckin shittin me. The wall of that fountain was almost up to her knee & she didn't see it peripherally? What was she doing on the phone--curing cancer?

Lord.

Posted by: hmmm | Jan 15, 2011 3:14:41 AM

24. THANKS! That's the funniest thing I've seen all day. I really needed a good laugh and that was it. Thanks again.

Posted by: Scot | Jan 15, 2011 5:43:20 AM

25. I always thought I would have to get into the fountain (this one to be exact, which is only 5 minutes from my home) to get my little cousin out from trying to get the coins. But to finally see someone who was texting while walking is just EPIC. The best part of it all, The security guards at the mall have finally seen something of interest...

Posted by: Feznando | Jan 15, 2011 7:07:28 AM