Ann Coulter: 'The Left Is Trying To Co-opt Gays'

Ann
There's been a bit of CPAC-related news today, this being the last day of the conference. Ann Coulter took the podium this afternoon to address the attendees and was intent on being as characterstically provocative as possible.

In her speech, she spoouted that "the left is trying to co-opt gays. They should be on our side. We watched this for 30 years. The left keeps using one group after another to destroy the family. That is their goal, to destroy the family. Liberals want the family destroyed. Then you have loyalty directly to the state."

Coulter continued her invariably outlandish comments by proclaiming during a Q&A session that she thinks "there should be more jailed journalists."

Watch her CPAC speech, if you can stomach it, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. I don't think it's accurate to say that CPAC was "unwelcoming" to GOProud. All I remember was the guy from the freaking John Birch Society protesting, Heritage pulling out, and one of the convention honchos taking umbrage at GOProud being inflammatory. Meanwhile, their booth was the most popular there, and was swamped with well-wishers. You all need to make a difference between the conservative voters of Kansas City, and the politicians who pander to them, from D.C.-area conservative elites who attend events like CPAC. Anti-gay sentiment among the latter is becoming very unfashionable.

And BRIAN'S comment drives me crazy. No one deserves to be treated like a subhuman, especially other gays of all people. And no gay conservative just "claims" to be conservative, like the two are incompatible. This is the kind of extremely arrogant attitude that drives me absolutely batshit about other liberals. There's always a consensus, backed up by insult and refusal to deal with anyone who strays from that consensus.

Posted by: Xtab | Feb 13, 2011 5:28:11 AM

2. @MICHAEL I think Thomas Paine said that conservatives are not generally stupid people, but that stupid people are generally conservatives.

@DAVE Yes. Coulter is probably a lot smarter than Palin. Palin also owes her success to Coulter. It was Coulter who really pioneered the archetype of strong, sexy, inflammatory female conservative propagandist. This has also probably been good for gay conservatives. If conservatives can accept women, then it's not a huge leap to accept gays too.

How does she justify saying things she knows are reckless and baseless? I think she sees it as part of a cause, and she also probably enjoys antagonizing her enemies. This is not by itself objectionable. Liberals deploy the same tactics, and ridicule is one of the oldest and most effective tactics there are.

Posted by: Xtab | Feb 13, 2011 5:51:37 AM

3. Ann Coulter is correct about the Left trying to co-opt the gays. It's how the Left operates - by establishing a coalition of interests. What we - as gay people - should be doing is telling both the Left and Right that we are not to be taken for granted. If you want our vote, you need to earn it.

You only have to look at the social elements of our society - the bisexual double standard, for instance. This is where male-male sexuality is made smaller by confining it to the "gay" concept. This enables Leftists to reduce the visibility of male-male sexuality in the mainstream.

Leftists are also sexist in that they promote female nudity far more than male nudity. They also embrace female bisexuality whereas the same can't be said about male bisexuality.

Posted by: brian | Feb 13, 2011 6:01:16 AM

4. I agree with that!

Also, part of what constitutes building a coalition of interest groups is finding a common enemy. The Republicans are an enemy that can unite gay urban voters with, say, beer-guzzling longshoreman and union workers.

But the truth is that the Republican Party is not really the enemy of gay people. Not... really. As currently constituted it is an enemy, but it won't necessarily be one in the future.

The real enemy is the closet and homophobic oppression and prejudice generally, the closet being the primary tool used to enforce it. Smash the closet, and you won't have to worry about the Republicans for much longer. Because GOProud is smashing the closet, and coming out proudly as gay conservatives, they're doing more to change the Republican Party, and the direction of gay rights in the United States, than voting for the Democratic Party probably will. And I support them like I do gay liberal organizations. Equality will mean that gays are co-opted and pandered to by BOTH parties.

Posted by: Xtab | Feb 13, 2011 6:26:06 AM

5. Why on earth does anyone listen to this idiot, she is so full of hate, as someone mentioned earlier it is just too difficult to listen to that much divel. It might be different if she was truly intelligent which certainly isn't the case.

Posted by: EJ | Feb 13, 2011 7:51:32 AM

6. Some of what she said was total crap. However, some of what she said is very true. It's kind of like the Democrat Party having great ideas, then putting up crappy candidates. Too many people (probably over 90% of people reading this) just sit on the sidelines doing nothing but bitching about others who are at least doing something. Hell, I wonder how many of you even vote.

Posted by: Brad | Feb 13, 2011 8:02:58 AM

7. What she's spouting isn't conservative nonsense, it's conspiracy theory nonsense. If you surf around the conspiracy theory websites (and there are plenty of them...I must admit this is a guilty pleasure of mine) the belief is that certain groups want to destroy the family so that the only stable social unit it the government. Crazy but people seem to believe this including many in Ann's audience. She's well aware of how to say things that her audience will understand that will completely perplex everyone else. And of course how to openly insult liberals who will get mad about that and miss the rest of what she's saying. Win-win for Ann. It would be far better if we just ignored her. (Jon Stewart has refused to discuss her on his show for years now.) Without the controversy she's not the least bit newsworthy.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Feb 13, 2011 8:45:04 AM

8. Is she a drag queen? Just sayin'.

Posted by: Jeffrey Dunivant | Feb 13, 2011 8:47:07 AM

9. way way too much crystal.

Posted by: Danny | Feb 13, 2011 9:05:20 AM

10. She continues to prove the severity of her ignorance.

Posted by: John | Feb 13, 2011 9:50:22 AM

11. why does this woman exist?

Posted by: EO | Feb 13, 2011 10:08:08 AM

12. Can any of these people at CPAC speak for one minute without contradicting themselves?

First we have Norquist saying the liberals are parasites, "we don't want to take your money," while it was the GOP that masterminded the biggest transfer of wealth to the rich.

Then the Hissey Twink saying conservatives want people to be themselves, but only if they act normal and straight.

Now Ms. Colt-face says gays should be on our side, but somehow they're destroying families because they're co-opted by the left?

Posted by: KevinVT | Feb 13, 2011 10:11:30 AM

13. A specter is haunting Towleroad! The specter of Jason! Quick, somebody, arrange a Ugandan exorcism!

Posted by: KevinVT | Feb 13, 2011 10:13:12 AM

14. The LGBT rights movement is a movemnt of the left, Brain.

I know it pains you to face this. Liberals have been completely marginalized and demonized by the "Mainstream" over the past two decades that the truth is sometimes hard to see. But the entire "Conservative" movment that Dog and Pony Shows like CPAC and parade floats like Palin and Coulter appear in is driven byt one goal alone -- saying things thet they imagine "will make liberlas mad."

I recall one bit of frothing by Palin where she claimed that waht she was saying would cause steam to arise from Rachel Maddow's head. Rachel has always maintained her cool, her humor, and her insight in the face of whatever comes her way. That's why Rand Paul will never go on her show again, and precious few Republicans will evnture there either -- though most recently Lawn-Jockey-Without-A-House Michael Steele has popped in.

In this CPAC appearance Coulter has nothing of so much as passing interest to say. What's interesting is the slavish adoration of the GOPround KAPOS. They live in a truly Orwellian universe where war is peace and freedom is slavery.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 13, 2011 10:15:39 AM

15. "As for what the Left has done for us gays, OK, it's fair to say that it has been better than the Right. However, how much better? My view is that we've had 50 years of the Left-inspired sexual revolution and all we got was an acceptance based on segregation. At the social level, male-male sexuality is still segregated from the mainstream thanks to Leftist homophobia."

You didn't have 50 years of 'Left-inspired sexual revolution' without considerable pushback from the right. The right thoroughly dominated political discourse from the early 1980s on, and American culture is still based around a fundamentally conservative/reactionary view of the world. And every time there has been progress - civil unions, marriage, Lawrence v Texas, DADT, there have been consequences. Some analysts argued that Lawrence assisted Bush's victory in 2004, since conservative strategists were able to frame social issues around the menace of homosexuality.

Posted by: Zach | Feb 13, 2011 10:46:54 AM

16. "PLEASE NOTICE ME. PLEASE NOTICE ME. I'M RELEVANT! AND IF YOU DON'T THINK SO I'LL STOMP MY FEET AND SCREAM AND KICK!!! Love, Ann.

Posted by: Bart | Feb 13, 2011 10:53:44 AM

17. Also, Ehrenstein is fundamentally right. I would argue that you cannot separate the LGBT rights movement, as it exists in the United States, from Leftist discourse. The Libertarian strains of the Republican Party have never been as strong as gay Republicans imagine them to be, and they were completely subverted by the coalescence of the Christian Right and its primacy within the GOP. And the Tea Party is proof of damage done. What should have been a strictly libertarian screed against the existence of government has become a denouncement of everything liberal and left, including homosexuality.

Posted by: Zach | Feb 13, 2011 10:54:45 AM

18. how are they doing more to change the direction of gay rights in the United States? please explain

Posted by: George M | Feb 13, 2011 11:28:20 AM

19. @James
    "She always looks like a sleazy sex-pot to me. I have never understood her appeal to the conservative crowd."

Her appeal is that she looks like a "sleazy sex-pot." I think it's funny that she dresses like a high-class whore while talking about being a Christian. The comedy is that they actually take her seriously.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Feb 13, 2011 11:51:21 AM

20. She's a medical miracle: the only c#nt to survive without being attached to a human being.

Posted by: StillmarriedinCA | Feb 13, 2011 12:02:55 PM

21. I'd never realized before that Coulter is a comedian. Its the only way this makes any sense at all - perfect for the alzheimer's wing of a seniors home.

Posted by: John Freeman | Feb 13, 2011 12:06:58 PM

22. @XTab: You know, we're dealing with this issue at my church. Conservatives are in the small minority there, too. I hear you clearly. I certainly respect that you have made a clear, intellectual choice to be a conservative.

I used to be a conservative, from the time I was 18 back in the late 70's until 2003. That was when the NC state chairman actually stated that homosexuality and republicanism were incompatible. His words, not mine. His voice was echoed again, and again, throughout the party that year as state ballot measure after ballot measure were initiated across the country, banning gay marriage. I've not seen any let up in that since.

I've seen a few young conservatives start to ask the party elders to tone down the anti-gay rhetoric. I've seen your efforts thoroughly rebuffed. I've watched Jon McCain turn homosexuality into a major campaign plank only mere months ago.

The day I walked out of my life-long home in the party was the day I was listening to Rush Limbaugh on gay marriage. I was forced to the realization that it was NOT just a few politicians doing this for political gain. The party was indeed made up of homophobic people bent not on sealing my fate forever in constitutional bans on marriage, but in one evangelical's words, "driving them right back into the closet."

I'm sorry, but I think you're in for a similar free fall. I wish you well. It was a painful, excruciating process for me. Looking into the face of that much hate and vitriol, that I had somehow thought we had all moved beyond, was sobering.

Maybe enough young people will eventually move into that party and the party will change. I think you will find displacing the leadership at the top - and getting power away from the religious right - is going to be almost impossible. Good luck.

I have no such problem as a liberal democrat. That transition was amazingly easy, and the further I've gotten away from conservatism, the greater the lies that form the movement have become.

I wish you well.

Posted by: Craig | Feb 13, 2011 12:22:46 PM

23. That was an AWESOME speech! Ann Coulter speaks the truth as always, which is why she drives liberals NUTS!

Posted by: 1GOPkid | Feb 13, 2011 1:01:27 PM

24. It is ugly (and I do not mean by their appearance) women like Ann Coulter, Michelle Malkin and Sarah Palin that make me proud to be a homosexual gay man...who, by the way has been legally married for nearly three years and is about to celebrate his 24th Anniversary with his Partner/Husband for life. I totally believe in Karma...and these women will live long, lonely lives.

Posted by: John | Feb 13, 2011 2:19:41 PM

25. The true home for gays who don't want to be Democrats is the Libertarian party, but as they are perceived to be a bunch of losers, it would be a tough sell. At the end of the day, even conservatives cannot agree on how to dictate how everyone else shall live their lives, despite all their rhetoric that they know best and have all the answers. What needs to happen is to get them to confront each other where they disagree. This should be fairly easy. Coulter exists largely to paper-over their disagreements.

Posted by: anon | Feb 13, 2011 2:27:46 PM