Armie Hammer Tells Leonardo DiCaprio to ‘Pucker Up’, Hoover Script Has ‘a Ton of Kissing Scenes’

Armie_hammerAs reported earlier, Armie Hammer is set to play J. Edgar Hoover's secret lover in the upcoming Hoover biopic starring Leonardo DiCaprio.

E!'s Ted Casablance and Taryn Rider caught up with Hammer on the red carpet at the SAG Awards.

Said Hammer of the script:

"It's not kissing scene—it's a ton of kissing scenes…I'm so excited to work with Clint, and from what I hear, he's not the type of director who has a ton of rehearsals and takes. I think we're just sort of thrown in there and have to make it happen….I actually just met [Leo] for the first time Saturday at the DGA Awards. Sure, we talked business…He's a talented actor. I'm not nervous or afraid of it being awkward. The script is great. The scenes are in there for a reason. I'm really excited….Yeah, you hear that, Leo? Pucker up!"

Comments

1. Jack M says

Hard to believe that Clint Eastwood, who sanitized (and ruined) his film version of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, would make a movie where J. Edgar Hoover is kissing his lover onscreen. Let’s wait and see on this one.

2. breckroy says

I don’t know @Jack M. Times have changed, audiences have changed, and Clint may have changed since MIDNIGHT was filmed. I remember reading an ADVOCATE interview with Will Smith where he talks about SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION and said one of his biggest acting regrets was not having enough confidence or integrity as an actor to perform the gay kiss as written (they did a “camera trick” that allowed Smith to appear to kiss a guy, but not actually have to do it) and another with Denzel Washington where he talked about how he refused to kiss Julia Roberts in THE PELICAN BRIEF because of all the pressure for an A-List black actor (including from the black community, who–in the pre-Halle Berry days–feared it would set a precedent that would allow for less black actresses getting cast as female love interests and reinforce an ugly sore spot in the black community, which has men who only date non-black women) not to kiss a white woman on screen.

Both felt their choices then took away from their integrity as artists and stated, while they weren’t going to purposely sign on to a film they wouldn’t make otherwise just to rectify things (and honestly admitted to still having some of the issues that hung them up in the first place–and pointed to the fact that Hollywood and their audiences still struggled–this was the early 90s–with the same issues, which put pressure on them), they certainly weren’t proud of things.

Perhaps Eastwood has similar feelings about MIDNIGHT? Perhaps given a new environment (the world has REALLY changed vis-a-vis gay comfortability and visiblitiy in American film) and the regret that perhaps if he had made a more artistically true film (and less one that he felt was more commercially viable and mainstream) he might still have had a dud, but at least it would have had integrity.

I can’t imagine that Eastwood would have picked up a film written by Dustin Lance Black (out writer, gay activist, and writer of MILK) without knowing what he was getting into, and I doubt that Black would have been comfortable with the director selection if his coversations with Eastwood had led him to believe his script would have been de-gayed. He has too much juice in Hollywood right now to just go along as so many other writers do.

Should be interesting…

3. says

I quite liked Clint’s rendition of “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.” The Lady Chablis was great as her fabulous self and Jude Law was teriffic as a hot piece of New Orleans rough trade.

Kevin Spacey played himself.

Clint knows precisely what he’s doing in taking on this project. That’s why he hired Dustin Lance Black to script it.

As for Armie he’s WAY cute, very tall and very nice.

Plus he can act.

4. dk says

Wait.. Leo is playing Hoover? Isn’t Leo like 6’4″? Hoover was 5’7″ and I can’t see Leo even as a young Hoover. Brokeback Mountain changed the game. Now everyone, (who’s straight), wants to play gay.

5. SteveC says

I’m looking forward to it. I adore watching straight actors play gay.

It’s refreshing to see. Especially as so many openly gay actors have achieved such incredible success playing gay. NOT!

I wonder if there will be ANY gay actors in this?

6. Jack Scribe says

Approaching 81, Clint is still in the prime of his directing career. I don’t think he’ll disappoint. I’ve become a big fan of Armie. In a recent interview, he confirmed that he’s lost several roles because of his height (that meant playing opposite shrimp lead actors). Leo’s aroung 6′ so the match will be solid. It’ll be interesting to see how they transform Leo from handsome dude to hound dog Hoover.

7. Derrick from Philly says

But STEVEC, using straight actors (or so we’re told) may be a very valid choice to play anti-gay, closeted homosexuals. The last thing in the world J. Edgar Hoover wanted to know about during his time is what is now known as “openly gay.”

Well, the only reason Hoover may have wanted to know about openly gay people is to have them put in mental asylums. They must have reminded him of what he didn’t want to be associated with–feared it to the point of absolute hatred. Something like a very light-skinned black man passing for white–he hates the blackness (Hey, isn’t that the Hoover story too?)

8. Ryan says

That guy is just adorable.

I’m sort of scared to see a movie about Hoover, though, because Hoover was a real piece of work. I’m not sure the man has any real redeeming qualities.

9. Bruno says

I’m not sure to what degree Clint cleaned up MITGOG&E, but I know he was open-minded as early as 1971’s “Play Misty for Me.” We’ll see what the studio allows though.