Belgium | Gay Parents | News | Surrogacy

Gay Belgian Couple Reunite with Son Stranded for Two Years in Ukrainian Orphanage

Ghilain

Laurent Ghilain and Peter Meurrens, a Belgian couple living in Southern France, had been separated from their son Samuel, whom they had through a surrogate, for two years and three months because the Belgian embassy in Kiev refused to issue Samuel a passport due to restrictive surrogacy laws and anti-gay officials in Belgium. Samuel had been living in a Ukrainian orphanage while they fought for his release.

The couple was reunited with their son at the Brussels airport on Saturday.

Comments

1. The dad is HOT!!

Posted by: Roggiep | Feb 27, 2011 11:15:21 AM

2. Two years in a Ukranian orphanage? Holy crap. So much for "what's best for the children". Hopefully the little nugget won't remember much of it as he grows older.

A long-belated congratulations to the happy family. :)

Posted by: The Milkman | Feb 27, 2011 11:25:10 AM

3. What a happy ending. I'm so glad. I wish nothing but happiness and joy for this now re-united family.

Posted by: Bob R | Feb 27, 2011 11:36:20 AM

4. I wish the family every happiness and trust that the poor little child will find real personal human love in his life now.

As a shallow aside, re; the dad holding the kid. YES I WOULD :)

Posted by: Den | Feb 27, 2011 1:00:39 PM

5. hmmm Belgium....is that where I need to go to to get me a hot baby daddy like that?! WOOF!

Posted by: ventura | Feb 27, 2011 1:10:50 PM

6. the guy in the 33 jacket behind daddy is hot too...brothers?

Posted by: Terry | Feb 27, 2011 1:16:56 PM

7. Thankfully happy ending! All the best for the good looking couple and their family life!

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 27, 2011 1:37:25 PM

8. One of them is French, the other a Belgian.

An international petition was available for us to ask the Belgian foreign ministry and the European Court of Justice to hear their case.

I do not know the particulars leading to the resolution of this issue...but as one of the fathers of three adopted boys (ages 19-10) I cannot express my delight at the happy resolution of this deserving couple's plight!

Posted by: Arturo Beeche | Feb 27, 2011 1:39:19 PM

9. Seriously...

"We're going to keep your biological child away from you because you're gay."

Didn't Belgium sign the UN Declaration of Children's AND human Rights?

I mean I can agree with the passport issue getting lost in the system, but at one point in time over 2 years, this had to have reached someone with authority to make the right decision who didn't because they hate teh gayz or because they're a closet-case themselves.

Posted by: RJ | Feb 27, 2011 1:59:39 PM

10. I hope Samuel and his family have a good, happy life now. And yeah, Sam's daddy is hot.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 27, 2011 1:59:56 PM

11. They're all beautiful, together.

In every photo I've seen, the dad holding the child is strong, handsome, stalwart.

...but "33" in back? He transparently shows every emotion.

Finally, this time, I like what he's showing.

Posted by: JAMES in Toronto | Feb 27, 2011 2:24:18 PM

12. @Terry, "the guy in the 33 jacket behind daddy is hot too...brothers?"

That's Dad #2.

Posted by: NaughtyLola | Feb 27, 2011 2:43:23 PM

13. I can't believe this. In what times do we live that holding a child captive for two years in an orphanage although the boy has parents that love him and can care for him is legal? I hope the parents sue and I hope the boy doesn't grow up having abandonment issues. Poor kid. Do you know how awful the orphanages in Ukraine are? It's wonderful that they're finally reunited. So many sick and heartless assholes in this world.

Posted by: Bernadette | Feb 27, 2011 3:17:01 PM

14. Some people in the Belgian government PLUS the foreign ministry need to be sued.

Posted by: Todd | Feb 27, 2011 3:42:22 PM

15. This is such a sad story. I wish them well but that poor child is probably screwed up for life, having spent two of her most important formative years without the love, attention, and teaching of her parents--or of any parents. (And if she does have any developmental or emotional problems they will be blamed on her gay dads, certainly not on the circumstances of her first two years of life.) And yet this is what our opponents would have us believe is better: children growing up in foster homes and orphanages, without any parents at all, rather than being adopted by loving same-sex couples.

Posted by: John B. | Feb 27, 2011 3:47:59 PM

16. Oops, don't know why I thought the child was a girl.

Posted by: John B. | Feb 27, 2011 3:50:30 PM

17. @John B

You probably thought it was a girl because he's wearing panty hose or stockings. Cute family, bless them!

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Feb 27, 2011 5:36:23 PM

18. John, I don't know about you but I can't remember the first two years of my life. This is a terribly unfortunate situation for their family but do you really think the kid is "screwed for life"? I'm sure he'll only ever know what his daddies told him about it.

Posted by: D.R.H. | Feb 27, 2011 11:22:16 PM

19. Congrats to Laurent and Peter. Finally able to raise their son and make up for these two years with amazing memories for years to come.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 27, 2011 11:51:46 PM

20. The gravity of this father's face as he holds his child safely after their unjust separation is the fleeting stuff of great photojournalism as well as great art. Goya himself could not hae painted a fiercer or more beautiful portrait of wounded outrage and rapt new determination than we see in this man's eyes.

Posted by: Barry | Feb 28, 2011 12:47:54 PM

21. Wondeful - and sad- story. Also not surprised that, since looks make the gay world go round, some of the shallow princesses here gave in to there unbearable compulsion to comment on "hotness".

Posted by: John | Feb 28, 2011 12:50:17 PM

22. Yes, "John" shame on us - you know all the commenters what just couldn't bear not to mention how unbelievably photogenic the man is. Oh except you, but of course you did too, didn't you?

Posted by: jp | Feb 28, 2011 11:36:38 PM

23. That poor little kid.
    Lucky to have such a hot daddy though.
    I am glad they are all back together.

Maybe someday I will be united with a hot Ukranian daddy like that!
    WOoF!