Film | Glenn Close | News | Susan Boyle

Glenn Close to Play Susan Boyle

Close_boyle

Imho, a perfect role for Close.

Brit tab The Sun reports:

"Glenn said 'aye' to film bosses this week and is about to start work on her SuBo shuffle and catchphrase 'bloody fantastic'. A source said: 'The film is full steam ahead now the leading role is sorted. It was always going to be a tricky one to cast. SuBo's incredible story is so well-known across the planet that the film is bound to go down a storm.'"

Comments

1. i can't speak to the script writing, but i can't imagine anyone else in the role. close was always a hard sell as a glamor doll with that jaw, and she has the vocal chops to do subo justice.

i think i would go just to seel close tackle this.

Posted by: jack | Feb 21, 2011 11:03:44 AM

2. Oh God. Clicked on this link from The Atlantic, cause I misread the link as:
    Andy Towle thinks Susan Boyle is the perfect role for Glenn Beck to play. Which would be a hoot.

Posted by: DJ | Feb 21, 2011 11:14:25 AM

3. Glenn Close is considerably older than Susan Boyle, so she really would not be able to focus on much beyond from when she became a star going forward. Though this is not as ludicrous as Mickey Rourke as Gareth Thomas.

Posted by: Manni | Feb 21, 2011 11:24:19 AM

4. I love Glenn Close a lot, but this is terrible casting! Assuming this story even needs to be movie-ized, Susan Boyle's story is so wrapped up in her plainness, and Scottishness. Close is neither. Better Oscar-calibre bets would be UK actresses:
    1) Brenda Fricker ("My Left Foot")
    2) Julie Walters ("Mamma Mia", Mrs Weaselly in "Harry Potter")
    3) Imelda Staunton ("VEra Drake", Dolores Umbridge in "Harry Potter")
    4) or Mike Myers

Posted by: Strepsi | Feb 21, 2011 11:28:41 AM

5. Excuse me if I knock you over rushing to be the first in line ...
    I'm dying to see this~

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Feb 21, 2011 11:32:12 AM

6. Compare and contrast with "The Kings Speech".

Posted by: anon | Feb 21, 2011 12:06:57 PM

7. @STREPSI

I immediately thought Imelda when I read this too. I don't know anything of her singing skills, but just the overall look and demeanor of Susan seems to be an easier fit for Imelda to portray.

Posted by: RafiD'Angelo | Feb 21, 2011 12:25:05 PM

8. I think Angelina Jolie would have been a much more appropriate choice. I'm a firm believer in type casting.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 21, 2011 12:43:20 PM

9. Does she still have her old wigs from Fatal Attraction?

Posted by: brian | Feb 21, 2011 2:09:53 PM

10. Oh my God... seriously? a FILM about Susan Boyle? why? no -really... WHY ?!?!?!

Posted by: Tre | Feb 21, 2011 2:20:05 PM

11. Glenn Close can indeed sing, albeit a thin non operatic voice. (Is it appropriate for Susan Boyle? I'm not so sure.) She appeared in Broadway Shows: Barnum, and as Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard among other shows I'm sure.

Evan

Posted by: Evan | Feb 22, 2011 2:30:43 AM

12. Imelda Staunton sure can sing: she was Dorothy in a stage production of "The Wizard of Oz"

Posted by: Nor | Feb 22, 2011 5:10:54 AM