Glenn Close to Play Susan Boyle

Close_boyle

Imho, a perfect role for Close.

Brit tab The Sun reports:

"Glenn said 'aye' to film bosses this week and is about to start work on her SuBo shuffle and catchphrase 'bloody fantastic'. A source said: 'The film is full steam ahead now the leading role is sorted. It was always going to be a tricky one to cast. SuBo's incredible story is so well-known across the planet that the film is bound to go down a storm.'"

Comments

1. jack says

i can’t speak to the script writing, but i can’t imagine anyone else in the role. close was always a hard sell as a glamor doll with that jaw, and she has the vocal chops to do subo justice.

i think i would go just to seel close tackle this.

2. DJ says

Oh God. Clicked on this link from The Atlantic, cause I misread the link as:
    Andy Towle thinks Susan Boyle is the perfect role for Glenn Beck to play. Which would be a hoot.

3. Manni says

Glenn Close is considerably older than Susan Boyle, so she really would not be able to focus on much beyond from when she became a star going forward. Though this is not as ludicrous as Mickey Rourke as Gareth Thomas.

4. Strepsi says

I love Glenn Close a lot, but this is terrible casting! Assuming this story even needs to be movie-ized, Susan Boyle’s story is so wrapped up in her plainness, and Scottishness. Close is neither. Better Oscar-calibre bets would be UK actresses:
    1) Brenda Fricker (“My Left Foot”)
    2) Julie Walters (“Mamma Mia”, Mrs Weaselly in “Harry Potter”)
    3) Imelda Staunton (“VEra Drake”, Dolores Umbridge in “Harry Potter”)
    4) or Mike Myers

5. says

@STREPSI

I immediately thought Imelda when I read this too. I don’t know anything of her singing skills, but just the overall look and demeanor of Susan seems to be an easier fit for Imelda to portray.

6. Derrick from Philly says

I think Angelina Jolie would have been a much more appropriate choice. I’m a firm believer in type casting.

7. Evan says

Glenn Close can indeed sing, albeit a thin non operatic voice. (Is it appropriate for Susan Boyle? I’m not so sure.) She appeared in Broadway Shows: Barnum, and as Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard among other shows I’m sure.

Evan