CPAC | GOProud | Republican Party

GOProud Member: 'I Don't Really Like Gay People'

Hissey
Ebone Bell of Metro Weekly made the rounds at a recent nighttime GOProud event at the CPAC conference where she interviewed members of the conservative group, such as 22-year-old college student Matt Hissey. Aside from declaring his dislike for gay people, Hissey believes that only "straight-acting" gay men are "normal."

"I don't really like gay people that much. Gay people frustrate me, the stereotypical gay people, it frustrates me...someone who puts on a total act. I understand that some guys are feminine, which is fine. But some guys, at some point, are normal, straight-acting, whatever and the next minute they're jumping up and down. It just frustrates me. The whole conservative thing is just be yourself, be an individual and just don't be someone you're not. If someone does or does not accept you, that's fine but don't change who you are to look different to others."

Hissey also wants Sarah Palin to run for president in 2012 because she reminds him of his mom.

His bit about not liking gay people comes in at 1:39 in the video AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Oh, internalized homophobia is so... sexy...

Posted by: Ben | Feb 12, 2011 10:53:57 AM

2. "The whole conservative thing is just be yourself, be an individual and just don't be someone you're not."
    Well by that definition I guess he really isn't conservative since he doesn't like some people for being themselves. Can you say HYPOCRITE!

Posted by: notacr8zyazn8tv | Feb 12, 2011 10:56:39 AM

3. "No, I only like them when they're boning me in the ass"

Hissey? Seriously?

Posted by: ANON IN SO CAL | Feb 12, 2011 10:57:07 AM

4. And this came from a guy who is 22 year old? We have lots of work to do.

Posted by: Shaun | Feb 12, 2011 11:01:04 AM

5. As someone who internalized a lot of homophobia in having grown up in the catholic schooling system, it kind of breaks my heart to see this kind of interview. He's being sincere; I remember thinking like that, but he must be so unhappy with himself and where he's at in life. If only he could understand the contradictions in his own logic.

Posted by: Ray | Feb 12, 2011 11:01:24 AM

6. Its such a pleasure to see hypocrisy cones in all shapes, sizes, colors, creeds, and sexualities. If this is the general view of the Conservative gay groups, which seems to be at least an underlying sentiment, then they are no better than school bullies or the "men" who beat, rape and tie gay men to fences, leaving them for dead. Homophobia isn't limited to straight people and its people like this nutter who propogate the hate, even from within the very group he "represents ".

Posted by: Patrick | Feb 12, 2011 11:02:44 AM

7. This kid is dumb to say this on camera, or maybe drunk, but c'mon, how many of us, or people we know, haven't said something like this, at some point in our lives? It's immature, but it's not fair to somehow slander gay-cons with this twink's insecurities.

Posted by: alex dilucca | Feb 12, 2011 11:03:36 AM

8. He's one to talk. When his mouth opens his purse falls out.

Posted by: Brent | Feb 12, 2011 11:05:29 AM

9. I really pity this guy.

Posted by: Todd | Feb 12, 2011 11:09:50 AM

10. "I don't really like gay people that much. Gay people frustrate me, the stereotypical gay people, it frustrates me...someone who puts on a total act. I understand that some guys are feminine, which is fine. But some guys, at some point, are normal, straight-acting, whatever and the next minute they're jumping up and down."

Is he talking about Tom Cruise on Oprah's couch?

Talk about a group of self hating, clueless people.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Feb 12, 2011 11:10:26 AM

11. It's only a matter of time before his Grindr profile goes public.

Posted by: JimmyD | Feb 12, 2011 11:13:16 AM

12. How "straight-acting" can you be with a d!ck in your mouth?

Posted by: JDB | Feb 12, 2011 11:14:41 AM

13. so he doesn't like how a some gay guys act. neither do i. its not internalized homophobia

Posted by: ret | Feb 12, 2011 11:14:51 AM

14. Well he is an ass for wanting Palin to run and being in GOProud, but i think we have all seen guys who put on the camp and there are a lot of younger gay guys who think thats how they are supposed to act because of media and peer pressure.

Some gay men dont like camp men, its not homophobic, its just their taste. Personally i find it somewhat annoying and really boring, if its over the top, and fake.

Posted by: Rovex | Feb 12, 2011 11:17:49 AM

15. Poor guy. How painful it must be to be Matt Hissey.

Posted by: Ugh | Feb 12, 2011 11:19:02 AM

16. Matt Hissey=Gay Uncle Tom

Posted by: Karter | Feb 12, 2011 11:22:25 AM

17. Bro doesn't sound straight. His facebook porfile also shows him donning pastels and abercrombie shirts that are a bit too small.

So...yeah.

Posted by: Tyler | Feb 12, 2011 11:25:48 AM

18. Oh my god. When he like talks he like spits glitter.

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Feb 12, 2011 11:26:30 AM

19. I guess he wants gay people who do like to jump up and down to not be themselves and stop it. The tragic irony here is that he epitomizes the bitchy and judgmental gay stereotype! Also, Sarah Palin is not a "middle American!" She is from Alaska, the state where they want rape victims to pay for their own rape kits. Lastly, conservatism is not about individuality and being yourself. If it were, GOProud would not have scared off so many of the conservative heavy hitters that normally attend the conference and it would not have attracted you, Mister "I Don't Like Gay People" Flaming Pants!

Posted by: Brian | Feb 12, 2011 11:28:34 AM

20. You know, when I was young, I used to think that gay people were, on the whole, smarter and more thoughtful than the general populace. But now I realize that some gay people are really, really stupid. And that makes me sad.

Posted by: Thomas | Feb 12, 2011 11:29:32 AM

21. Oh Miss Thing you're JUST SO BUTCH!!!!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 12, 2011 11:30:46 AM

22. What does he think about hyper-masculine men--the male impersonators (both gay and straight)? They also have their costumes and out of the mainstream behaviors, too. BTW, I guess he conveniently forgets that there are also effeminate, fopish straight men as well.

No wonder this guy is all f*cked up if Sarah Palin reminds him of his mom.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Feb 12, 2011 11:33:04 AM

23. Girlfriend smells like lube and regret.

Posted by: The Milkman | Feb 12, 2011 11:33:50 AM

24. Hey! You missed the part where he says he doesn't even know that he is gay, he just has sex fantasies about Ronald Reagan and him rolling naked in piles of cash. That's normal, right? Chirp.

Posted by: Craig | Feb 12, 2011 11:36:42 AM

25. I wish I had a dollar for every time I said to my self or someone else, "Gays like THAT give gays like me a bad name." As you grow up and as the homophobia dies down within yourself hopefully that phrase slips away quietly. I don't know too many who haven't at some point thought the same thing. But for him to say that the conservative movement embraces and encourages diversity and individuality---that's just plain ignorant. He just wants to be in the Club. I thought the Log Cabin boys were beating their collective heads up against the wall but Goproud members are setting the new standard.

Posted by: bwana | Feb 12, 2011 11:42:19 AM