James Franco | News | Oscars

James Franco Skips His Own Oscar After-Party, Jets Out of Town

Francobye

James Franco left L.A. immediately after the Oscars, tweeting photos from the airport and enjoying a Bloody Mary instead of attending his own after-party at The Supper Club. US Magazine:

While a few stars -- Seth Rogen, Kevin Spacey and stars of the CW's 90210 showed up -- Franco, 32, was a no-show, a source confirms to UsMagazine.com.

The Supper Club bash, the insider adds, was a "bust."

Franco seemed over it before it even began.

Gatecrasher noted, of the early exit: "We hear that he's heading back East immediately afterwards to finish a paper on Byron that's due for a class at Yale."

Comments

1. He finally found something on par with his mediocre short story writing... Hosting! And congrats to him on having the decency to lose Best Actor for cutting his arm off.

Posted by: Adam | Feb 28, 2011 9:56:23 AM

2. Adam, do you really think he was actually hosting? Truly? Really?

Did no one else think the whole thing, James doing the Oscars, seemed like some elaborate.....joke?

I can't hate on the guy. He's making fun of us taking all this celebrity thing so seriously. I love it.

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 28, 2011 10:03:30 AM

3. He works too much, needs to sleep.

Posted by: Wes | Feb 28, 2011 10:06:34 AM

4. Franco is studying for his doctorate in English @ Yale? Didn't know that. I'm impressed. And it helps explain his attitude. He's obviously a bright dude. He'll do fine in life in or out of show business. And the jet lag must be a killer.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 28, 2011 10:08:36 AM

5. He did look totally bored with it all...still love him, but just not sure why he said yes.

Posted by: The Iron Orchard | Feb 28, 2011 10:10:28 AM

6. Congrats James on having your priorities in order and getting out of Lotus Land.

Posted by: nick | Feb 28, 2011 10:11:50 AM

7. Why in the world did he accept to "host" the academy awards if his heart was not in it. I sort of felt sorry for Anne Hathaway who seemed manic in her attempt to rescue the night.

Posted by: excy | Feb 28, 2011 10:25:38 AM

8. He should have been run out of town for that terrible and boring oscars.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Feb 28, 2011 10:27:36 AM

9. I get all the hate for him being over exposed but at least he has talent to back it up, and brains, unlike the vapid Kardashians or that mess Paltrow trying to sing, that was the second worst moment last night, after Randy Newman's song and lame speech.

I doubt Franco agreed to host the after party, as for taking on hosting the Oscars, he declined at first and was talked into it as a way to get out of sitting in the audience for four hours. Smart move on his part I'd say. As for the show over all it was not great but I remember many just as bad.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Feb 28, 2011 10:37:06 AM

10. thank you Hollywood for letting us know that young & pretty is way better than experienced & seasoned

last night's show was just so cutting edge & cool

having an Oscar host text whilst on stage was just so hip & radical

it was the "New Wave" Oscars

can't wait till next year

_

Posted by: neverstops | Feb 28, 2011 10:47:56 AM

11. He was awful. Somebody should tell Franco the difference between deadpan and dead. I never want to see his face again for a long while.

Posted by: Brent | Feb 28, 2011 10:50:17 AM

12. Worst. Oscars. Ever.

I can't decide whether Franco or Hathaway was most annoying.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Feb 28, 2011 11:04:39 AM

13. I never understood why they hired him to host. It's not his kind of gig. But I did like that his eyes were as red as that Bloody Mary throughout the entire broadcast!

Posted by: Q | Feb 28, 2011 11:06:16 AM

14. Well, now I don't feel bad about missing the ceremony.

I am pleased that Colin Firth won best actor, not only because it was well-deserved, but because he was previously robbed by Mickey Rourke.

Posted by: Ted | Feb 28, 2011 11:21:43 AM

15. Colin Firth lost the Oscar race last year to Jeff Bridges, Rourke lost the year before to Sean Penn for Milk.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Feb 28, 2011 11:42:59 AM

16. Franco left LA to finish his paper on Byron at Yale! I am impressed! Forget the hosting, this guy is so much more in so very many levels. Wonderful.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 28, 2011 12:21:28 PM

17. DULL.

Posted by: mcNnyc | Feb 28, 2011 12:40:09 PM

18. "I'm sorry my paper's late. I had to host the Oscars."

Posted by: latebrosus | Feb 28, 2011 2:03:16 PM

19. He was good. See you around James...

Posted by: malo | Feb 28, 2011 2:12:19 PM

20. The only good thing about his hosting last night was the little glimpse of his backside in a leotard. That was worth everything "deadpan".

Posted by: Tom Bardwell | Feb 28, 2011 4:10:13 PM

21. Why would a person want to end their career this way? At least he didn't do a Gibson or a Sheen, but this was just awful.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 28, 2011 6:39:51 PM

22. It seems he doesn't give a crap about all the celebrity BS glitz and hype. He probably shouldn't have said yes to hosting, but you can't blame him for toking to get through it and then ditching the second he could-- maybe his manager/agent pushed him to do when he didn't really want to. I'm torn- I totally respect him as an artist, but he should've had the guts to tell his people "no". I do feel bad for Anne Hathaway, she was professional & worked overtime to make up for him. It seems like he couldn't stand being around her for one second.

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Feb 28, 2011 8:39:42 PM

23. You didn't expect me to wait up all night for him to get home did you? I mean, damn!

Posted by: TyInTenn | Feb 28, 2011 8:50:08 PM

24. Franco was the MOST annoying. He couldn't even be present for those half-assed film homages they started with.
    Did he skip his PARTY to see Dr. Dru? With this punk ass, why isn't Lindsay working?

Posted by: Matt | Mar 2, 2011 12:00:57 AM

25. In an interview James said he agreed to host the Oscars specifically because his management team advised him NOT to host. Yes he was to attend his party and had also said in an interview that he would be singing there--new bar inside the Supper Club called "The Writer's Room" that both he and his partner Vince own (along with someone else)--and ditched it when reviews started pouring in about his horrible performance as host. Looks like he bought into the fangirl/fanguy hype and actually believed he was capable of anything.

Posted by: CC | Mar 3, 2011 11:58:45 AM