Christopher Lee | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

NY GOP Rep. Christopher Lee Resigns Following Publication of Shirtless Craigslist Photos, Emails

Lee

NY GOP Rep. Chris Lee, who was exposed by Gawker earlier today for sending out shirtless photos of himself to a woman on Craigslist, has resigned in a statement read on the House floor.

Effective immediately.

Said Lee in the statement

“It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York. I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness...The challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately.”

And: Lee_Wife

"Earlier Wednesday Lee, asked by Fox News about the report as he was walking to his car, said he was not willing to talk about the issue, adding 'I have to work this out with my wife.'"

Video of Lee on election night, thanking his wife and referencing his 5-year-old son, AFTER THE JUMP...

As i mentioned earlier, Lee did not have a recorded vote on marriage equality but did vote "no" on the repeal of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'.

Developing....

Earlier...
Married NY GOP Congressman Christopher Lee Caught on Craigslist [tr]

Comments

1. I'm SHOCKED! (that he sent them to a woman)

Posted by: txstevo | Feb 9, 2011 6:09:58 PM

2. Somebody's gonna have some splainin' to do when he gets home tonight.

Posted by: peterparker | Feb 9, 2011 6:11:09 PM

3. mendacity, the downfall of us all...you'd think at this point in our evolution we'd be past all this trolling for our genitalia at the expense of our comforts...i guess we're all just monkeys after all, throwing our filth against a wall and seeing what sticks

Posted by: epic | Feb 9, 2011 6:15:33 PM

4. I'm always happy to see an evil Republican brought down. But at the same time, I don't really get why looking for sex outside of your marriage requires you to resign your position as a legislator. THAT's what really floors me. Isn't the answer "this has nothing to do with my job" and "none of your business" when he's asked about this? What a sad, mixed up bunch of people!

Posted by: Buster | Feb 9, 2011 6:17:00 PM

5. OH MY GOD!

We're gonna have a circle-jerk about the morality of other people while we thrust our own moral standards upon them, while still believing that Religious morality thrust upon gay society is a bad thing.

Our society is so f'cked up.

Posted by: suede | Feb 9, 2011 6:28:17 PM

6. @Buster - I would guess being a republican he ran on the 'family values/I hate gays/I'm a christian/we're better than them platform. It's a little hard then to say that sending shirtless picture of himself to a woman other than his wife is no one else's business when he's made it everyone's business to be against other folks sexuality.

What I find interesting is that at least five or six republicans a year are caught up in a sex scandal yet they continue to be freaked out by it. Maybe they should get a party rate with Dr. Drew or Dr. Phil.

But I will say this...this dude is an utter idiot. He wanted to get caught.

Posted by: Bart | Feb 9, 2011 6:30:08 PM

7. Margaret Cho refers to craigslist as the "penny saver of dick" ... guess this Republican didn't know!

Posted by: PriceCut | Feb 9, 2011 6:30:35 PM

8. Suede, no. The issue here - for us gay folks - is hypocrisy, not morality. Another advocate of "traditional marriage" is caught cheating. That's why this story is of note to us; not purely that a Congressman is having an affair.

Posted by: fred | Feb 9, 2011 6:32:25 PM

9. I agree Buster, but the GOPers in Lee's district are likely to be hypocritical and demand his ouster. He knows the "family values" facade must never fall if he wants to be politically viable.

Posted by: Josh | Feb 9, 2011 6:39:40 PM

10. To be honest I've never heard of this guy and don't know anything about his voting record, only that he's a Republican. Regardless, I kinda feel sorry for him (but maybe not once I hear his record, beliefs, etc.) But either way, it's unrealisitic to demand that a married man stay faithful only to his wife his entire life. Hetero marriage is f'd up for that reason, I believe. Humans just weren't made for monogamy for life. I personally don't believe in marriage, and I don't particularly want it - but we should have the same rights and opportunities as everyone else. But you can keep marriage as far as I'm concerned. So he f*cked around, who cares. His wife probably knew about it, they usually at least suspect it, and often may not even care. Why should anybody else? Stay out of my bedroom and I'll stay out of yours. (But I wonder if he posted any d*ck pics?)

Posted by: Hank | Feb 9, 2011 6:42:22 PM

11. So who is going to fill the void? Better or worse?

Posted by: Chris | Feb 9, 2011 6:48:00 PM

12. How long before Fox "News" turns him into a Democrat?

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Feb 9, 2011 6:58:08 PM

13. But Fred, if we want sexual freedom, we have to really stand for it and let a guy get a little on the side--even when he's a big stinking hypocrite.

Posted by: jason | Feb 9, 2011 7:03:53 PM

14. David Vitter got caught soliciting prostitutes (a crime) and managed to stay in the Senate. But, alas there was no photo evidence like this creep.

He had to resign because in 2 yrs when he has to run again this photo and topic will resurface during the campaign and he will be seen as a joke. That's the way it is!

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Feb 9, 2011 7:04:09 PM

15. Where's there's pecs, there's pricks.

He resigned because he knows that are pictures of his hard on ready to fly.

Posted by: RiCguy | Feb 9, 2011 7:11:56 PM

16. he's pretty hot. but would look better with a buzz cut.

Posted by: gregg | Feb 9, 2011 7:25:06 PM

17. Yeah Gregg he's attractive on the outside and sort of ugly on the inside, but hell who cares. Now he's gunna hit CL Big time. The barn doors are wide open Chris, run with it!

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Feb 9, 2011 7:36:17 PM

18. the information age is making the male midlife crisis so much more messy

Posted by: MadM@ | Feb 9, 2011 7:38:36 PM

19. If he were my Congressman, I'd consider him too stupid to continue in office, apart from any hypocrisy. How can someone serving in the U.S. House of Representatives not know about the nature of the internet and how EVERYTHING you place there is public??? What a maroon!

Posted by: Zlick | Feb 9, 2011 7:38:53 PM

20. He's also a pedophile...

Posted by: chester67 | Feb 9, 2011 8:20:35 PM

21. YummmmmmOOOOoooo. HOT HOT HOT.

Posted by: Roberto | Feb 9, 2011 8:45:57 PM

22. @Jason

Being accorded civil rights and civil respect regardless of sexual/gender orientation/identity is not the same thing as sexual freedom.

Heterowomen have limited sexual freedom, sadly the madonna/whore still impacts women greatly.

Posted by: qjersey | Feb 9, 2011 9:00:01 PM

23. Yes, the conversation must have gone something like this:

Boehner: Craigslist? Really? That's for truck drivers.

Lee: I see, I'll resign immediately.

Posted by: anon | Feb 9, 2011 9:15:05 PM

24. Ah, Yes!! Another bigoted GOP elected representative bites the dust. This news is so "Old Hat" that it is getting pointless. He's a Republican. What do you expect?

Posted by: Jerry6 | Feb 9, 2011 9:16:37 PM

25. This is so wrong, but I would hit it. LOL. He's in good shape for 46. What is up with these beefy f'd up Republicans?

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Feb 9, 2011 10:23:43 PM