New York | News | Nick Adams | Theatre

Watch: Preview of Broadway's 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert'

Priscilla

The show begins previews February 28. You know, I'm just not sure it's gay enough.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. the sets! the costumes! the Nick Adams!!!

Posted by: mikey | Feb 16, 2011 11:10:31 AM

2. They took out the Kylie songs for America...boo!

Posted by: Daleed77 | Feb 16, 2011 11:19:40 AM

3. Saw this in London in the West End...sooooo good! Total crowd pleaser...wonder what they substituted for the Kylie songs...

Posted by: Farrell | Feb 16, 2011 11:28:08 AM

4. I saw this show in London last summer and it was one of the best times I've had at the theater. Of course, London Sunday matinee crowds can be a little rowdy, which certainly didn't hurt the atmosphere.

I certainly plan on seeing the NY version the next time I'm up.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 16, 2011 11:28:15 AM

5. Take that stinky La Cage.

Posted by: ggreen | Feb 16, 2011 11:28:49 AM

6. I saw it in Toronto and it was wonderful. Go see it!

Posted by: Banditt | Feb 16, 2011 11:28:49 AM

7. loved the west end production! can't wait to see it in NYC...

Posted by: rod n OH | Feb 16, 2011 11:29:50 AM

8. I have tickets for me, my nephew and his bf for May ... looking forward to seeing it ...

Posted by: Lou ... | Feb 16, 2011 11:31:07 AM

9. I saw it in Sydney and loved it - it looks like they tone down the hot sexuality of the Venus number though. I wondered if that would stay in the show it wasn't just gay it was sexy. It's the second song in this Australian preview.
    It's still a great show.

Posted by: David | Feb 16, 2011 11:34:10 AM

10. I was at opening night in Australia 5 years ago. Loved it, and so glad to see Tony Sheldon playing Bernadette on Broadway too, as he was magnificent in the role from the beginning. I remember him investing the same combination of humour and dignity in the role of Arnold in Torch Song Trilogy 25 years ago.

Posted by: Mike | Feb 16, 2011 11:36:57 AM

11. Saw it in Toronto - it's a real crowd pleaser.

On the plus side, it's a lot lighter than the movie source material - this Bernadette is entirely believable as a one-time drag goddess (and by that, unlike in the movie, she looks like it's not her first time in heels).

On the downside, it's a lot lighter than the movie source.

Almost completely different music than the movie - I guess Abba already has Mamma Mia on the go.

I think the NYC version is considerably more PG14 than the Sydney one.

Posted by: MammaBear | Feb 16, 2011 11:40:29 AM

12. Could we get ONE show with drag queens who don't look like Abercrombie models? I love a great pair of biceps but these guys are a little overworked.

Posted by: Frank | Feb 16, 2011 11:46:10 AM

13. @Frank: It does seem more Chorusliney than the Sydney version, which had real drag performers in the cast.

Posted by: Mike | Feb 16, 2011 11:57:26 AM

14. I saw it in London a long time ago and it was pleasing but I have heard those songs so many times I really am tired of them. However, they replaced ABBA songs with Kylie (probably because ABBA refused permission because of their own MAMMA MIA). That was a drawback.

Posted by: Brent | Feb 16, 2011 12:10:31 PM

15. Saw it in Toronto. OMFG, it was so much FUN!! Took my parents, too. My husband asked me, "Are they enjoying it," to which I replied, "I think so, but I'm afraid to look over at them to be sure!" Dad (75 yo) was a little stressed about Felicia's banter, until I likened it to locker-room talk between straight guys, after which he totally got it!

Posted by: Chris Waddling | Feb 16, 2011 12:41:01 PM

16. Save 45% - go to ticketmaster.com, find Priscilla and enter code JDMP. Seats are $60-70 for the previews Feb 28-March 19 and $60-80 until April 18

Posted by: tony | Feb 16, 2011 1:04:25 PM

17. Hard to see anyone else but Terrance Stamp in that role, but I'm sure it's gonna be great.

Posted by: Tre | Feb 16, 2011 1:18:02 PM

18. So it's all just covers? Lame.

Posted by: boo | Feb 16, 2011 1:26:24 PM

19. Saw the London production. It sucked. Boring songs, boring choreography, adds nothing to the experience of the film. Save your money. Listen to Boo -- it's LAME.

Posted by: Reginald Perrin | Feb 16, 2011 2:41:05 PM

20. BOO: Have you actually seen the show? If no, then you should STFU because you don't know what you're talking about.

REGINALD PERRIN: I'm just going to give you a hug because you sound as if you need one. *HUGS*

Posted by: RAPHINOU | Feb 16, 2011 3:07:26 PM

21. Saw it in Toronto where they were testing it out pre-Broadway - it's a great show!

Posted by: David | Feb 16, 2011 4:11:32 PM

22. It looks fabulous! But couldn't they find some talented composer to write an original score?!

Posted by: jaragon | Feb 16, 2011 5:56:42 PM

23. Tony Sheldon is going to be in the Broadway production? The New York is lucky. He's a 100% shining star who brings real heart and soul to any show he's in.

Posted by: JAMES | Feb 16, 2011 6:52:14 PM

24. I saw this in London in 2009 -- and laughed my ass off. Great show! Lots of fun and energy. Definitely want to see it again.

Posted by: Scottie | Feb 16, 2011 7:09:39 PM

25. Saw it in Toronto - maybe my expectations were too high. I was entertained for the $45 I paid. Had I paid $150, I'd have been disappointed.

Posted by: Bianca Withrow | Feb 16, 2011 7:44:07 PM