2012 Election | Donald Trump | Gay Marriage | GOProud | New York | News | Republican Party

Donald Trump: It's Great That 'New York Has a Lot of Gays....But I'm Not in Favor of Gay Marriage.'

Trump

Donald Trump told Greta van Susteren that he's not in favor of gay marriage, but didn't offer any reasons for his position. Oh, but he loves the fact that New York City is a place with a lot of gays.

VAN SUSTEREN: Gay marriage?

TRUMP: I'm not in favor of gay marriage.

VAN SUSTEREN: You sort of hesitate when you say that. Any doubt?

TRUMP: No, I'm just not in favor of gay marriage. I live in New York. New York is a place with lots of gays, and I think it is great. But I'm not in favor of gay marriage.

Trump recently appeared at CPAC where Christopher Barron, chair of gay conservative group GOProud, said he "would love to see Trump run for President." Said Barron: "He’s not only a well respected businessman, and somebody who obviously has a giant megaphone, and having him involved in this event and talking about those issues – issues that are not only important to GOProud but important to conservatives all across this country — is critical."

Trump has been married three times.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously...
GOProud Leads 'Trump in 2012' Movement at CPAC [tr]

(If the clip does not work, you can watch it on YouTube here (begins at about 8:00)).

Comments

1. What's sad is that he truly thinks people care about his opinions. Can't think of very many people more irrelevant.

Oh, and yes, he's on marriage #3, which is widely reported to be headed to splitsville. Making this statement even more ridiculous.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 15, 2011 9:50:35 AM

2. Has Trump ever explained what he meant when he called Rosie O'Donnell a "degenerate"? Or has he apologized?

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Feb 15, 2011 9:53:38 AM

3. Here's hoping Mellania can get a platoon of straight people to be her glamour squad.

Posted by: Polyboy | Feb 15, 2011 9:56:34 AM

4. Tell us, Donald, what is the secret to your successful marriages? (adapted from Dame Edna)

Posted by: ALSNYC | Feb 15, 2011 10:01:46 AM

5. I can't trust a man who wears that much foundation.

Posted by: Norm | Feb 15, 2011 10:05:24 AM

6. You're Fired!!!

(and go proud yourself!!)

Posted by: gregg | Feb 15, 2011 10:14:42 AM

7. Trump's "Celebrity Apprentice" always courts the gay audience-- each season there's either at least one gay contestant or a gay favorite like Cyndi Lauper or Joan Rivers, 'cause they know who tends to watch these kinds of celebrity reality shows. So hit Trump where it hurts and don't watch his show.

His last round of the regular "Apprentice" that aired a few months ago was a total ratings disaster, so Trump's on precarious ground if he wants to keep his precious show. So support Trump as much as he supports us, and don't watch, gay sites don't cover his show, don't give it any buzz.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Feb 15, 2011 10:15:11 AM

8. Is he in support of several marriages throughout one's lifetime. leaving some of his ex wives with hardly any money at all? cause i'm not sure if that's great for marriage either. maybe straight people can worry about their impact on the world, and leave gay people to worry about their own selves. we don't need to managed by straight people.

Posted by: mike | Feb 15, 2011 10:19:59 AM

9. Rosie O'Donnell can kick his ass

Posted by: PriceCut | Feb 15, 2011 10:22:43 AM

10. I guess his latest marriage is working pretty well. Turns out if you marry someone a generation younger than yourself, who is 100 times hotter, you don't feel a need to get divorced. well he's done marriage a great justice. im sorry but you lose your high horse if that's what it takes for you to make marriage work. give me someone 100 times hotter than myself i'll keep it together too.

Posted by: mike | Feb 15, 2011 10:26:04 AM

11. "I'm just not in favor" is not an acceptable explanation from anyone, particularly someone who is running for office. Such that's-just-the-way-it-is statements should always be followed up with a "Why? On what do you base that opposition?" Candidates should be pressed until for an answer until their ignorance, craven opportunism or outright homophobia are on the record.

Posted by: Gianpiero | Feb 15, 2011 10:28:54 AM

12. Donald Trump as President of the United States (or any serious nation) is a sign that the epicentre of world power is moving to Beijing. As for his stance on gay marriage if he were still married to his first wife I'd be more open to hearing it.
    Ivana, Marla & now Melania (for the time being). Hardly a position from which to pontificate about marriage.

Posted by: Sane Soul | Feb 15, 2011 10:40:24 AM

13. Obama is against gay marriage. (But that's OK)

Posted by: Rik | Feb 15, 2011 11:33:59 AM

14. The only Trumps that I like are Ivana for being the model for the best drag queens and for Patsy on AbFab, and Tiffany Trump for having such a drag name yet being invisible...

Posted by: Twatitia | Feb 15, 2011 11:47:12 AM

15. @RIK, nice try troll.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Feb 15, 2011 12:42:21 PM

16. I"m with RIK on this one- President Obama has said repeatedly that he is not supportive of gay marriage. Why does he get a pass, while the same comment made by Mr. Trump is met with all of this vitriolic disdain. Perhaps his reason for hesitation when answering is that he's support civil unions in the same way the president does? It's certainly possible. Try giving the benefit of a doubt to someone that doesn't agree with you completely for a change... you'll be amazed at how much you grow in the process.

Posted by: Josh | Feb 15, 2011 1:00:01 PM

17. J, no-one said he doesn't have a right to be a bigot. BUT, it's still bigotry, it's wrong, and he is being rightfully called out on it. Freedom of speech has absolutely nothing to do with the responsibility of your own actions.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 15, 2011 1:14:40 PM

18. A thoroughly repulsive human being. But, he's saying the same thing that obama did, minus justifying it with a belief in magic. Now he talked about ron paul (a raving nutter who is as uneducated and simple minded as he is insane) not having a shot...the donald will never be president--he couldn't get elected mayor of las vegas.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 15, 2011 1:18:42 PM

19. Obama is personally for same-sex marriage and is publicly against it for political reasons. Actually now he's BSing and basically saying he's questioning and undecided, since he realizes his position is less and less credible and acceptable, daily. Let's stop being naive. His actions are no different than Clinton, Rumsfeld and Cheney, among others. I wouldn't be too surprised if Trump were the same way and doing this because he wants to run as the potential Republican nominee in the upcoming elections or because of his business associates. Also, Obama has not gone through 3 marriages with women 10-25 years younger than he is.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 15, 2011 1:27:02 PM

20. Gee, Don. I don't like bad comb-overs either. Your show stinks. Your buildings are cheap, poorly-constructed, and in very bad taste. You have bad breath, nose and ear hairs, and you use women for your own selfish, vanity. So, I don't give a rat's ass what you think about gay marriage. Considering that you've been married and divorced, what is it? Three times? I don't think you have any right to give an opinion about anything related to marriage. Donald, you are a SCHMUCK.

Posted by: jamal49 | Feb 15, 2011 2:15:55 PM

21. @Josh it's your assumption that we don't give the benifit of the doubt to people that disagree with us that offended me most about your statement... My particular point was that Mr. Trump is on his 3rd marriage, has all the money in the world, and a high horse too? Barack Obama is on his first marriage, and has had no infidelity scandals... he's also about as supportive of gay people as he can possibly be without conservatives physically removing him from the white house, so that contradiction isn't an easy ballance for him i'm sure. nobody likes being told they can't do something... by someone who has done everything they've ever wanted in life and still goes through wives like clothing...

Posted by: mike | Feb 15, 2011 2:37:10 PM

22. "Obama is personally for same-sex marriage and is publicly against it for political reasons"

Difference without a distinction. Your palliative bromides have no cash value.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 15, 2011 2:42:11 PM

23. What with westerners who are so full of themselves wanting the entire cosmos like whatever they like??? I am a gay Southeast Asian and I am against any type of marriage. I hope people will find a way to respect someone's opinion. If you like marriage then It's fine with me. I will be happy for you. I think Trump is just saying He does not like it. I accept it. YOU CANNOT MAKE THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE LIKE WHATEVER YOU LIKE! I mean It's not like Trump will be spending his millions to physically stop gay people from walking the aisle. HE JUST DON'T LIKE GAY MARRIAGE. That's it. I tell all my marrying straight friends that I'm against their unions. They disagree with me. It'ok. I am happy for them.

Posted by: Joachim | Feb 15, 2011 3:05:59 PM

24. he doesn't like gay marriage but it is okay to have as many straight marriages and affairs as possible. his position really shows how little he cares about defending marriage. he should go bankrupt bald and away. bag of wind impressed with himself.

Posted by: walter | Feb 15, 2011 5:03:40 PM

25. Why is anyone interested about his political choices? He may make it through 3 or 4 primaries before he is forced out.

Posted by: plaintom | Feb 15, 2011 6:14:02 PM