Baltimore | Brendon Ayanbadejo | Football (American) | Gay Marriage | News | Sports

Watch: Baltimore Ravens Linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo Supports Marriage Equality in Video

Brendon Ayanbadejo, a linebacker for the Baltimore Ravens, has released a video in support of marriage equality in Maryland. Says Ayanbadejo in the video:

Ayanbadejo

"Gay and lesbian couples want to marry for similar reasons as we all do: love and commitment. It’s time to allow them the opportunity to build a family through marriage. It’s a matter of fairness. This is why I’m asking Marylanders to join me in supporting marriage equality for same-sex couples.

"Having the freedom to marry means committed couples and their children will have the same crucial protections under the law as other families. Churches can always have their beliefs, but government is supposed to treat everybody the same, and that’s equal. America is supposed to be the land of the free but in order for this to be true for all of us, then we must have the ability to marry whom we love regardless of their gender.

"Think about it, and join me in the land of the brave for standing on the side of love. Thank you."

Watch (unfortunately, the picture is distorted), AFTER THE JUMP...

(screencap not from video)

Comments

1. Very Interesting. He reminds me of one of the characters from 'Noah's Arc'.

Posted by: Ioann | Mar 9, 2011 8:32:54 AM

2. I get why we put the shirtless pics up, but could we give the guy alittle more respect by not doing it this time. I don't mean to be prudish, but I dunno it makes me feel off about it.

Posted by: Mark | Mar 9, 2011 8:41:18 AM

3. Incredibly effective spot. One of the best articulated arguments I've heard yet. It doesn't hurt that it's coming from a well respected professional athlete.

Much Metta Mr. Ayanbadego!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Mar 9, 2011 8:50:59 AM

4. Really IAONN? Which one? He doesn't look like any as far as I can see...

But black people do look all the same to be fair.

Posted by: Rowan | Mar 9, 2011 9:18:41 AM

5. LOL@ROWAN, I understand.

But to be fair to IOANN, I think in the still photograph Mr Ayanbadego does resemble the actor from "Noah's Arc" who played the character named Dre. He was Wade's lover after Noah, and he died in the car accident at the end of season two. I sure do miss that show and the characters and the actors.

Oh, and thank you, Mr Ayanbadejo. You prove that there are pro athletes who are thoughtful and intelligent and brave. I won't tell you what my fantasy is while looking at your photograph or your video. I'll just be respectful....and stay frustrated as hell.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 9, 2011 9:32:40 AM

6. @ROWAN: I don't know if you've had your coffee yet, but I said "reminds" not "looks like". He reminds me of the character of Trey, the guy that looked like a linebacker. How you managed to find that offensive is beyond me.

Posted by: Ioann | Mar 9, 2011 9:38:45 AM

7. He has good points!

But enough of this land of the brave BS! Americans like to be grandiose,but that statement isn't true at all.If it is,full gay rights would have existed ages ago.

Oh ya! Another celeb jumping on the bandwagon! Just have to point that out.

Posted by: J | Mar 9, 2011 9:40:06 AM

8. What a great guy

Posted by: diego | Mar 9, 2011 10:18:34 AM

9. Actually Ayanbadejo has been a long-time and vocal supporter of gay marriage. He's not jumping on the bandwagon as this is not the first time he has supported gay marriage publicly. Proud he's a Raven!

Posted by: Greg | Mar 9, 2011 10:24:45 AM

10. J - Personally I'm not perturbed by celebrities jumping on the proverbial bandwagon. As sad a statement as it makes about our society these individuals have immense influence over the opinions and perceptions of average Americans. As such they do us a service when they speak for our causes no matter the impetus that caused them to speak.

Posted by: Kas | Mar 9, 2011 10:24:57 AM

11. Here's his article from 4/09 on Huffington Post:

Same Sex Marriages: What's the Big Deal?

Posted by: Carissa | Mar 9, 2011 10:32:32 AM

12. For one thing, I hate the fact that people are spelling "yeah" as "ya". For another, "jumping on the bandwagon"? What does that even mean?

The only sense I can make out of what you seem to be saying is that it's a terrible thing when celebs support marriage equality. And maybe that what's terrible about it is that they're taking advantage of the unbridled popularity of "our" issue in order to build their own fame, because nothing says "surefire path to success" like supporting marriage equality.

Everybody owns marriage equality. That's what the equality part means. It's a good thing when anyone supports it, a better thing when an influential celebrity supports it.

Honestly, the curse of the Internet is finding out what goes on in other peoples' minds.

Posted by: ohplease | Mar 9, 2011 10:48:54 AM

13. great player, great person

Posted by: miami | Mar 9, 2011 10:54:36 AM

14. break me off a piece of that chocolate goodness..he is hot

Posted by: mike | Mar 9, 2011 11:04:45 AM

15. Seems like a very cool guy - and it doesn't hurt that he's hot too! :)\. Thanks Brendon!

Posted by: Hank | Mar 9, 2011 12:35:27 PM

16. "This video is private."

WTF?

Posted by: Randy | Mar 9, 2011 1:27:41 PM

17. fixed video

Posted by: Sam | Mar 9, 2011 2:57:17 PM

18. Really IAONN? Which one? He doesn't look like any as far as I can see...

But black people do look all the same to be fair.

Posted by: Rowan | Mar 9, 2011 9:18:41 AM

Rowan you're such a racist foreign fucktard!

Posted by: Chris DaChocolatebearcub | Mar 10, 2011 2:19:06 AM

19. A beautiful, articulate man - thanks for this!

Posted by: Steve | May 1, 2011 12:06:57 AM

20. Damnit man, i watched that video hoping that at some point I would see Ayanbadejo shirtless, or sans pants, only to be let down yet again.

Posted by: contragenic | May 1, 2011 11:30:13 AM