BBC Sorry if Hugh Grant’s Homophobic Rugby Remark Offended You

The BBC is apologizing for remarks made by actor Hugh Grant after he was invited into the commentators box at the Six Nations rugby tournament on Sunday, Brit tabloid The Sun reports:

Grant He told BBC1 viewers he played rugby at school, adding: "I discovered it hurt less if you tackled hard than if you tackled like a queen."

Some fans condemned Hugh's remarks on Twitter.

Edward A. E. wrote: "Nice bit of old-school homophobia from him that, wasn't it?"

Will Full said Hugh would not dare to make the comment in front of gay Welsh rugby ace Gareth Thomas.

Said the BBC: "We apologise for any offence his comments may have caused."

Comments

1. Francis says

Actually, what is even more offensive to me is that gay man=queeny non-men. Um, when did that become true? So the fact that connection would even be brought up is offensive, as well as Hugh’s comments.

2. sparks says

For an actor who has played the role of a gay man struggling with society’s condemnation and pressure to conform, I would’ve expected Hugh to have developed a bit more sensitivity.

Hopefully it was an isolated poor choice of words.

3. Acronym Jim says

I’d be willing to give Hugh the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant to say “tackle like THE queen.”

But then again, that famous stiff upper lip would likely block a tackle from even Gareth Thomas.

4. DLC says

Oh come on. He didn’t say tackle like a gay man – he said tackle like a queen. Not all gay men are queens, and someone that fits the description fo queen probably wouldn’t tackle very hard. He wouldn’t say it about Gareth Thomas b/c Gareth Thomas isn’t a queen. Get over it.

5. FizziekruntNT says

Agreed, Francis. How very presumptive to automatically assume a connection between queens and a Gareth Thomas type! The mere fact that Hugh Grant used the term “queen” shows me a far more refined understanding of the nature of the beast. “Gay” is not synonymous with “queen”. Edward A. E. goes too far. Butch is to queen as gay is to straight. BBC, please get it right.

6. Derrick from Philly says

“…and someone that fits the description fo queen probably wouldn’t tackle very hard.”

I know some drag queens that will give you and any other man a run for your money, honey.

Lord, sometimes Gay men sure do make me weary.

7. Ross says

I have heard that Hugh Grant has “issues” with gays whatever that means.

GQ magazine, for years, used a very handsome male crystal torso (I believe the name was Simeon.)as its GQ Man-of-the-Year Award.

Hugh Grant was a recipient of this “prestigous” award, and his brief acceptance comments were remarks about how homoerotic the bust was.

Of course, the homophobic GQ immediately ceased using this stunning chunk of crystal and swished to something more “manly” for use in subsequent years.

8. Tom says

DLC, you are right.
    Boys grow some balls and get over it… not every word is an insult.
    it’s getting a bit ridiculous with all that apologizing, and writing a blog entry about every stupid fart happening. there are more important things in life!

9. patrick nyc says

Perhaps he was afraid to say ‘tackled like a hollywood hooker’, too close to home. Grant just hit the big 50 last year, looks like 50 hit him back pretty hard.

10. Derrick from Philly says

“RuPaul said it best,

‘Drag is NOT a contact sport'”

Yeah, tell that to those girls out on the big city street corners at 2am. It’s a contact sport all right– with an ice pick, Miss Rupaul.

Toot toot…hey, beep, beep….

11. Jerry says

Meh, this is a bit of a silly issue. I’ll save my indignation for Maggie Gallagher and people who are demonstrably hating on us. Grant is fairly low on my radar of importance, and I don’t think many people heard that and rethought their views on homosexuality in the negative.

12. L.J. says

@Ross above:

Your information is correct.

The male crystal torso you referred to is created by Baccarat. I saw it in their Manhattan showroom, and I would have purchased it in a second if it hadn’t cost several thousand dollars!

And, yes, GQ did drop using this as an award after Hugh Grant’s assertion of it being homoerotic (which it is).

It’s not hard to find his remarks online.

13. Derrick from Philly says

LOL@Patrick.

Thank you, Patrick. He looks so bad in that photo, I’d forgotten who the hell he was. Gracious….LOL. No queen would look like that at fifty…hell, no.

14. Steve says

Oh yeesh – can’t we just RELAX about all this? Yeah, it was tacky and uninformed remark, showing Grant’s English elist snobbishness…..probably nothing more.

15. will says

Oh, give me a freaking break. We can’t even use the word QUEEN now without all your panties getting into a bunch? I supposed if “Queer as Folk” debuted today, we’d all be typing, typing, typing about whether “queer” was appropriate or homophobic. The word homophobic gets dropped in the gay community (and on THIS SITE) at the drop of a hat.

What Hugh said was:
    “I discovered it hurt less if you tackled hard than if you tackled like a queen.” That’s probably true. It probably WOULD hurt less to tackle hard than like a queen.

To remind everybody, Hugh played an extremely complex gay man in the Merchant-Ivory film “Maurice”. He’s not homophobic. And quite frankly, I wouldn’t want to live in a society where every word I uttered was picked apart & scrutinized by an overly-sensitive, uptight gay community. Let’s take it easy. Let the man say queen. I’m a fudge packer, all right? It shouldn’t be about the sanitizing of words. It’s about intent.

16. Creative1 says

WAYYYYYY to sensitive folks.

Get off Hugh Grants back. (Unless he wants you there) If one of us (gay guys) had made this remark we would be laughing our asses off.

17. FizziekruntNT says

@Will (and to Derrick’s point!) Hahaha!

“What Hugh said was:
    ‘I discovered it hurt less if you tackled hard than if you tackled like a queen.’ That’s probably true. It probably WOULD hurt less to tackle hard than like a queen.”

I didn’t catch that the first time. Bravo!

18. ratbastard says

Harmless comment. People need to get a life. But I also heard he has issues with gays. Don’t know if it’s true, exaggerated, or whatever. He could just have dry,sarcastic sense of humor.

19. hank says

Not offensive in the least, in fact we are constantly having the queen stereotype pushed down our collective throats by “LGBT” activists themselves.

20. Bryan says

What part of Mr. Grant’s statement is untrue? Or is it the word “queen” that’s somehow offensive? Or am I allowed to use the word, but he’s not?

It’s very confusing. Perhaps those in charge should issue each of us a unique dictionary containing only the words we’re allowed to say. This shouldn’t be an insurmountable task since we needn’t consider any of the words in context, given that everyone’s intent is automatically assumed to be hateful.

The worst thing about the righteous moral imperative of the career victim is the ceaseless, mandatory whining over trivia. It appears to require a lifetime of constant vigilance which I can only assume is brutally exhausting. That and the nonstop diet of bile must be very hard on our vocabulary police.

No wonder they’re so cranky.

21. mcNnyc says

He’s a Ponce…
    Look he meant fag…lets not mince words here gays…I mean guys…
    Same thought…same idea…in his mind the opposite of hard or manly..or masculine is queen..or fag or girly man any number of things…he’s not a comedian or satirist or an ARTIST where a “pass” can be given…he said what he meant….
    And some of you have to realize that when someone throws around ‘queen”…he usually means ALL GAY MEN…he’s not thinking…oh not you Dan Choi…not you Gareth…just you know the queenie queens…