California | Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | News

California Megachurch Choir Forces Members to Sign Anti-Gay Pact

Well, isn't this disgusting? Orange County's Crystal Cathedral has asked the members of its choir to sign a "covenant" asking them to respect the Biblical view of sexual intimacy and marriage, between one man and one woman, the Orange County Register reports:

Crystalcathedral The "Crystal Cathedral Worship Choir and Worship Team Covenant," recently handed out to members, states that members should commit to being Christians by following the Bible in every way.

Former and current choir members say they are particularly offended by a statement in the document that refers to homosexuality. Long-time church members say this is the first time they have seen the cathedral take a firm stand against homosexuality and are disturbed by it.

The covenant states: "I understand that in an era where images of family relationship and personal sexuality are often confused, Crystal Cathedral Ministries believes that it is important to teach and model the biblical view. I understand that Crystal Cathedral Ministries teaches that sexual intimacy is intended by God to only be within the bonds of marriage, between one man and one woman."

Some choir members are furious.

"If I were still in the choir and if that was presented to me, and if a gay person had walked out, I would have walked out with him or her," she said. "If you are a Christian group and people come to you, you should be a good servant, love them and shine the light of Jesus on them – regardless of who they are."

A cathedral spokesman said that the pact doesn't mean gays are banned from the choir, they are just "strongly encouraged" to sign something that says who they are and what they do is wrong.

Comments

1. All choir members should sign the covenant and immediately stone the pastor to death for adultery. It's the RULE BOOK.

Posted by: David | Mar 16, 2011 11:18:04 AM

2. And here I thought to be a good Christian you had to follow Christ and try to live your life in a Christ-like way. Sounds to me like these guys love the Bible more than God, which I believe is the biggest no-no. Didn't Christ say that the pharisees were so focused on the Law that they had lost sight of God? Sound familiar?

Posted by: M. Bergeron | Mar 16, 2011 11:19:12 AM

3. Malcolm needs to read his bible more closely because it says no such thing.

Posted by: M. Bergeron | Mar 16, 2011 11:23:32 AM

4. can non-members help stone? i don't want to be a member, but i'll show up to help with the stoning. but i'd be more motivated by their record of dirty hate, not really giving much a da#n re their adultery. but i'd still help out.

yeah, gays deserve real spirituality. not this dress-up, smile, and lie to each other "tea-party"-style game of idiots.

Posted by: just a guy | Mar 16, 2011 11:30:20 AM

5. I really hope that gays and gay-friendlies leave that church en masse. It's only right.

Posted by: just a guy | Mar 16, 2011 11:31:41 AM

6. "I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet"
    -- 1 Timothy 2:12

Not a very "biblical" church. Just like all other Christians they pick and choose which of the nonsense in the bible to follow.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 16, 2011 12:01:18 PM

7. throw a rock in the window!

have to say though, you can be gay and Christian.

Posted by: NorthoftheBorder | Mar 16, 2011 12:01:54 PM

8. a lot of kinds of marriages are modeled in the bible. Check out Jacob's two wives and two concubine-slaves. Or Solomon's many wives. But they're too numerous to go into and frankly I'm so go**amned tired of the sh*t that passes for christianity I could puke.

Posted by: Danny | Mar 16, 2011 12:07:48 PM

9. It's really horrible all the things that have been done against gay people in the name of Jesus. But let's not paint all churches with the same broad brush. There are indeed many gay-positive churches in this country that don't deserve to be lumped in with these losers at Crystal Cathedral. Would you as a gay person want to be held responsible for the actions of all gay people? Then how is it fair to hold all churches responsible for the actions of some? The Christian church I go to has an openly gay pastor, and if we kicked the gay people out of the choir, we would lose half the choir. It's a wonderfully supportive spiritual community. Unlike the Crystal Cathedral.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Mar 16, 2011 3:21:32 PM

10. Megachurch of the Poison Mind.

Posted by: RJ | Mar 16, 2011 3:32:10 PM

11. Todd, I don't know if your comment could be more ironic. Jesus (i.e. the one who clearly has to have the final word on what it means to be one of His followers) didn't say one word on record against homosexuality, gay couples or any sexual-minority individual. But he did speak against divorce and remarriage.

Posted by: Gregv | Mar 16, 2011 3:42:41 PM

12. I bet their choir robes are of mixed fibers, which it also forbidden in the bible (Leviticus 19:19), yet I don't see anyone being made to sign a paper saying that "Wearing clothing of mixed fibers is wrong." Funny how they always pick and choose and target women, gay folks and anyone else who is perceived to have less social power.

Posted by: KJ | Mar 16, 2011 4:55:21 PM

13. @elg

There was a remarkable black woman named Colleen Johnson who started out as Mrs. Schuller's secretary when they started the Hour of Power TV show in 1970 and ended up as the Worship Coordinator before she died from a relapse of breast cancer in 1993.

She was very loyal to the Schullers, but had great dignity. She had gay friends and supported the Schullers despite their faults. In 1993 she was the highest EVER person of color in the ministry and one of two women in senior management positions (other than Schullers).

In short, the church was lily white until they started the Hispanic ministry. At this time, the Spanish-speaking ministry is the only thing keeping them from going under right now.

But the Schullers always did love them some black singers. Algetha Brown, Whintley Phipps, the Albert McNeil Jubilee, Tom Tipton, Joe Bias (major closet case who hit on the sound man), Linda Hopkins, Jester Hairston, and many more. Yessuh, they did love them some happy Negroes.

Posted by: homogenius | Mar 17, 2011 12:41:11 AM

14. @tony

You have to realize that their choir is down from over 100 to around 24-36. It is the smallest since they started the TV show in 1970. It looks like the average age is now around 50-60.

Posted by: homogenius | Mar 17, 2011 12:45:15 AM

15. It's actually not that hard to leave when you're driven out. Believe me, I know. My parents divorcing was the final straw after my parents not being rich, not attending church, and my actually interacting with the boys I grew up with there. Never mind that it was I who went to that small, Southern Baptist church, and not my parents. These churches love some drama. It's the only thing that keeps things interesting, I'm sure.

They probably figured the publicity from this travesty would gain them some new members (donators).

Posted by: Brittany-Ann | Mar 17, 2011 4:34:10 AM