Chick-fil-A | Missouri

BigGayDeal.com

Group Cancels Chick-fil-A President's Appearance At Event

FOCUS St. Louis, a nonprofit organization, and the Clayton, St. Louis Chamber of Commerce have booted Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy from a speaking engagement scheduled for next week after being informed of his company's anti-gay beliefs.

Dancathy FOCUS explained their decision in a statement:

"It has come to our attention that our co-sponsorship of a presentation by Dan Cathy, the COO of Chick-fil-A, would be seen by some in the St. Louis community as inconsistent with our deep commitment to diversity and inclusion, and that his appearance could become a forum for issues other than the business leadership issues which Mr. Cathy intended to address. As a result, we believe that the original purpose of this forum cannot be fulfilled and that it is in the best interests of all concerned that we cancel this event."

PROMO, a LGBT advocacy group based in Missouri, pointed out Chick-fil-A's anti-gay views to both organizations. Tickets for the event are being refunded.

Meanwhile, Cathy's father and founder of the company, Truett Cathy, celebrated his 90th birthday on Thursday. Performers for the party included Jeff Foxworthy, Christian singer Michael W. Smith, former American Idol contestant Diana DeGarmo and, of course, Chick-fil-A cows.

Comments

1. do you suppose that Jeff Foxworthy modified his normal comedy routine from "You might be a redneck if..." to "You might be an anti-gay bigot if..."

Posted by: Tim NC | Mar 12, 2011 1:13:57 PM

2. sccummbagg...

Posted by: chemtrail | Mar 12, 2011 1:32:38 PM

3. I don't understand. If gays like Micheal W. Smith have no problem performing for the hateful old dude, then what's FOCUS's problem?

Posted by: ManOnTheVergeOfRetirement | Mar 12, 2011 2:47:22 PM

4. "Performers for the party included Jeff Foxworthy, Christian singer Michael W. Smith, former American Idol contestant Diana DeGarmo and, of course, Chick-fil-A cows."

My answer is that y'all gotta check this s--t out, this is some funny ass s--it!

Michael W. Smith.... Mentioning that name just made my day! LOL. He's still around, I guess! The W. made him special! Specially wussy.

Posted by: deibu | Mar 12, 2011 3:06:12 PM

5. Diana DeGarmo?!! She's always been big on gay rights so not sure why she decided to perform for this old hog.

Posted by: Cole | Mar 12, 2011 6:23:02 PM

6. It's great they dumped him as speaker, more orginisations should do the same.

Posted by: Stephen | Mar 12, 2011 8:04:42 PM

7. So much for Jeff Foxworthy!

Posted by: Harry McRae | Mar 12, 2011 9:42:10 PM

8. I haven't eaten a drop of chick fila since the news broke (months ago). I encourage you all to do the same.

Posted by: clint | Mar 13, 2011 4:28:56 PM

9. You know you're a has-been when you appear at a chicken farmer's birthday party.

Posted by: wimsy | Mar 14, 2011 12:40:17 PM

10. Twenty years ago, or so, I tried a Chick-Fil-A. Actually, I tried it twice. I decided not to waste my money on it again. Now I have a second reason not to give that bigot any more of my money.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Mar 16, 2011 11:28:07 PM