Fashion Men | Lady Gaga | Mariano Vivanco | Nicola Formichetti | Rick Genest | Thierry Mugler

First Look:
Nicola Formichetti and Gaga Muse Rick Genest for Mugler

Mugler1

Rick Genest, the anatomically-tattooed muse of Mugler creative director Nicola Formichetti and co-star of Gaga's "Born This Way" video, is front and center in the label's new F/W 2011 campaign, photographed by Mariano Vivanco.

The muse undressed, AFTER THE JUMP...

Mugler2

Check out the full campaign at Design Scene.

Comments

1. If Frank Netter had been a tattoo artist, he'd have been all over this guy.

Posted by: The Milkman | Mar 15, 2011 1:27:53 PM

2. Ed Hardy has gone too far!

Posted by: hugo | Mar 15, 2011 1:56:01 PM

3. There is a really beautiful video of Rick in this campaign here:

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | Mar 15, 2011 1:59:14 PM

4. So...incredibly sad.

Posted by: Geoff | Mar 15, 2011 2:23:33 PM

5. I can't say that I find this attractive at all, but I do admire Rick Genest's commitment to the whole thing. I mean, he's pretty much written himself off of ever getting a corporate desk job, right?

The bio-hazard sign is an interesting touch. I wonder if it has any HIV implications. . .

Posted by: Austin | Mar 15, 2011 2:42:14 PM

6. WOW "stomach churningly disgusting" is the new black. Is "gouge your eyes out repulsive" the new beige?

Posted by: ggreen | Mar 15, 2011 2:51:19 PM

7. Ahhh, that is the nice things about living in a diverse world. Those of you who do not find this man beautiful do not have to look at him and the rest of us can just soak him in. I find the art work on his body to be so sexy and arresting. When he flashes his eyes or smiles he is seriously hot. They did an amazing joub shooting and filming him for this campaign.

Posted by: Carlyloo | Mar 15, 2011 3:05:50 PM

8. I bet he wasn't born that way.

Posted by: AdamK | Mar 15, 2011 3:06:08 PM

9. Lol AdamK! Kerching!

He is sexy....and I agree above though although I find tatoos cheesy, he's is genuine and not gimmicky. Love seeing diverse people!

Posted by: Rowan | Mar 15, 2011 3:09:53 PM

10. @Rowan: "he's is genuine and not gimmicky."

I pray to God that this was said Ironically. The man is a walking, breathing gimmick.

Posted by: Liam | Mar 15, 2011 3:23:40 PM

11. @Liam

Who the hell does he look like??!! Pres tell! I'm not up on this scene so correct if I'm wrong.....

With all the dolphin, Chinese symbols etc tattoos.....at least he seems like he genuinely wants to art his body, instead of being so cool and cutting person doing it to not seem mainstream even if they..are.

Posted by: Rowan | Mar 15, 2011 3:57:02 PM

12. The most ironic part is the second photo, where he is undressed, yet in a Mugler ad! Uhhhh, did Mugler design the tattoos?

Posted by: Strepsi | Mar 15, 2011 4:02:04 PM

13. someone has to have some serious personal issues if they find this attractive in any way other than like looking at a car wreck. Maybe it's better in color. In black and white it just reinforces how disturbed the guy is.

Thankfully, I can click it off.

Posted by: steve talbert | Mar 15, 2011 4:04:35 PM

14. @Liam:
    He's been tattooed like that for years. It's only recently that he's been "discovered" as a muse.

@Steve:
    You don't have to appreciate it, but you should be careful about deriding others. Your failure to find anything attractive in his appearance, and even going so far as to assert those that do have personal issues, only highlights your own close-mindedness and failure to grasp anything more complicated than the aesthetically-pleasing banal tripe that's flashed on TV.

Posted by: Iko | Mar 15, 2011 4:13:36 PM

15. I always smile when people, say tattoos last forever, when you only live a very short time. What do you choose to do with your life ? Live for others or yourself? I think the biggest gift you can reward yourself with is the knowledge that everything in life is socially constructed.

I love living in a diverse world, a place where people are able to experience it through many unique ways. Not everyone believes in the indoctrination of corporations and find value in other things.

More power to him!

Posted by: DAN LAVOIE | Mar 15, 2011 4:14:30 PM

16. Iko, honey, stay in Williamsburg. You are a joke.

Posted by: ohplease | Mar 15, 2011 4:34:49 PM

17. I see it as an absolute and complete commitment to art. He wears his art 24/7 for the rest of his life. No wonder other people committed to art, Nicola and Gaga, have looked to this person as a muse. No, I wouldn't want to be his boyfriend because tattoos just don't do it for me, but that's not what this is about.

Posted by: Stephen | Mar 15, 2011 4:35:45 PM

18. Why do people say it's "his" art? He was just the blank canvas for someone else's tattoo artistry. Or did he, in fact, execute the tattoos himself? Somehow I doubt it.

Posted by: Joe in CT | Mar 15, 2011 4:52:07 PM

19. I think he looks awful. It's like vandalizing your own body. I wonder if he has a mental illness.

Posted by: brian | Mar 15, 2011 4:56:39 PM

20. One cannot "vandalize" ones own body as it is your property to do with as you please. And it may very well be his own designs. My tattoo was designed by me and my friend who is a graphic designer. The tattoo artist simply stenciled it on and filled it in. This is not really different from people who spend hour upon hour and dollar upon dollar sculpting their body in the gym. Some people find that fascinating and sexy (I don't). Sure in most cases tatoos lst your lifetime (many can be removed though at great expense) but that is the point I think. He is making a committment. I happen to find it beautiful and I am no more disturbed than your typical progressive type.

Posted by: Carlyloo | Mar 15, 2011 5:05:04 PM

21. @Joe in CT: by your logic, an architect can't claim his own creations because he did not in fact build them with his own hands.

Posted by: Sam | Mar 15, 2011 5:58:40 PM

22. This guy looks like this for real?! It's not make-up?! So his fantasy was to look like a Halloween decoration for ever...I got nothing against sexy looking tats but this bit extreme for my taste.

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 15, 2011 6:13:14 PM

23. He owns his looks and body. Who else can say the same? We all wanna look like somebody cute fit pretty and generic....winning! Not.

Posted by: Rowan | Mar 15, 2011 6:15:43 PM

24. It may just be a generational thing, but I honestly see no problem with his tattoos. I think he is damn sexy, with those adorable eyes and brooding, pursed lips. He isn't stock, but he is owning everything he is and pretending to be nothing else.

Thankfully I have an opinion of people that isn't based purely on the comments from this website. I hope that the LGBT community I actually stand behind would be a little more willing to judge a person based on their character, rather than petty differences.

Posted by: Kameron.G | Mar 15, 2011 7:57:21 PM

25. @ROWAN Honey do you even understand the word Gimmick?? It doesn't mean he looks like someone else. It means that the person has done something for attentions sake. We wouldn't even know who he was if he were not fully tat'd. Hell most of us will never see him again! That pretty much DEFINES Gimmick. Ok so he doesn't have any dolphins or celtic arm bands, but it doesn't make him original.

Posted by: Liam | Mar 15, 2011 9:24:42 PM