Chris Colfer | Glee | News | Television

Watch: Kurt and His Dad Have a Gay Sex Talk on 'Glee'

Glee

On last night's Glee, Burt Hummel had a talk with Kurt about the birds and the bees. It'd be great if all gay teens (or teens in general) had a parent who cared this much.

Said Burt:

"When you're intimate with someone in that way, you gotta know that you're exposing yourself. You're never gonna be more vulnerable, and that scares the hell out of a lot of guys...With two guys you've got two people who think that sex is just sex. It's gonna be easier to come by and once you start, you aren't gonna want to stop. You gotta know that it means something. It's doing something to you, to your heart, to your self-esteem, even though it feels like you're just having fun...When you're ready, I want you to be able to do everything. But when you're ready, I want you to use it as a way to connect to another person. Don't throw yourself around like you don't matter, because you matter."

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

(transcript via omg)

Comments

1. I was profoundly impressed by how they handled this. Men in general, and gay men in particular, are never told to respect themselves this way. I don't think gay teens have ever heard this message before from the mainstream, and it's incredibly powerful. Kids need to be told that they can be sex-positive without being casual and self-destructive about sex.

Posted by: Andrew W | Mar 9, 2011 9:20:32 AM

2. I was touched. I wish I had a friend like Blain who cared enough to go to my father and a father who cared enough to have a talk like that with me.

I think it was done tastefully and yet got the message across at the same time.

I'm certainly not a teen watching Glee, but I wish Glee had been around when I was a teen.

Posted by: bsmart2 | Mar 9, 2011 9:30:42 AM

3. While that scene was touching and groundbreaking, it's only too bad the rest of that episode was an utter wreck.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 9, 2011 9:31:40 AM

4. that clip is a keeper. every parent, school counselor, ANYONE who deals with young adults, should have that on file for easy access.

i doubt many of us got that message, and most of us wish we had.

on a side note, mike o'malley may have a small part, but he gets THE juiciest speeches. smells like emmy to me.

Posted by: jack | Mar 9, 2011 9:52:50 AM

5. Well said, ANDREW W. I could not agree more.

Kudos to the producers of GLEE for a job well done.

Posted by: ichabod | Mar 9, 2011 9:56:26 AM

6. I was also touched and impressed by the way the script presented an insight into the special challenges faced by gay teenagers. And I also thought the scene between Mercedes and Brittany was insightful as well. I have hope that this show will continue to change the hearts and minds of mainstream America in a way that laws cannot.

Posted by: Kerry | Mar 9, 2011 9:57:52 AM

7. @Kerry - You mean Santana and Brittany.

Posted by: charlie | Mar 9, 2011 10:06:24 AM

8. Awesome scene, I would have died on the spot if my wonderful Dad had tried to have that conversation with me.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Mar 9, 2011 10:19:02 AM

9. I was awed. Genuinely moved and awed.

Posted by: Sancho | Mar 9, 2011 10:21:39 AM

10. Sorry, but sex can be JUST fun and there is nothing wrong with that as long as you respect yourself and your partner(s) and play safe.

Posted by: Please! | Mar 9, 2011 10:36:40 AM

11. Just when I thought the writing and storytelling had gone in the toilet this season, a brilliant scene this like comes along. If only the writing were more consistent and to this standard...

Posted by: Waynesf | Mar 9, 2011 10:37:35 AM

12. I cannot believe this show is on Fox... How far are we from the days when they cut away from a gay kiss on Melrose Place!

Posted by: Feral | Mar 9, 2011 10:37:55 AM

13. I loves me some Burt Hummel

Posted by: CPT_Doom | Mar 9, 2011 10:51:37 AM

14. Yes, this was handled well. What isn't being handled well is the reality of gay teens and gay people in general. The majority of gay people know far more about sex then your average straight teen. For writers to depict Kurt as a naive gay noob is ridiculous. Yes, I know they are trying to take it slow but ... YOU KNOW as well as I do that Kurt and Blaine would have jumped bones long ago if this were real life and they would be in a full-fledged gay affair by now. To keep playing this ridiculous game that gay people are somehow outside the norm is degrading to the gay community. Dear GOD, Quinn has had a baby with Puck, given it up for adoption, every straight cast member has either boned the other or kissed and petted (how come we can see a lesbian kiss but we can't see Kurt and Blaine climb into bed together) but not the gay characters.

Darrin needs to bed Kurt or at least kiss him passionately. You remember that Darrin passed out in Kurt's bed not long ago - if you were Kurt would you have passed up the opportunity to have sex with Darrin? NO!

Shameless, the TVShow, depicts gay teens as real people. A high schooler is having sex with his handsome married Muslim boss and the same kid is porking a high school thug and bully. That's the reality of life, not the namby-bamby silliness of Glee.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Mar 9, 2011 11:00:16 AM

15. "I cannot believe this show is on Fox..."

Why, what is so special about this scene / episode?

Posted by: MM | Mar 9, 2011 11:02:51 AM

16. Thank you OS2Guy for reminding us that all gay people everywhere are exactly alike.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 9, 2011 11:06:19 AM

17. I agree with OS2Guy

Posted by: Christopher | Mar 9, 2011 11:13:42 AM

18. This is just silly. The main thing any father is going to be concerned with about his gay son is that he has SAFE SEX. would have been a much more realistic scene - you can tell the father's speech was written by a gay man who wasnt using a "straight father's voice."

Posted by: jj | Mar 9, 2011 11:14:22 AM

19. Do the pamphlets exist and will Towleroad post them? Will we see the "post-pamphlet" talk between Dad and son? Ah, to be the fly on the wall for THAT conversation! (I'm from the multiple generations of kids who never had "the talk" with either parent.)

Posted by: Hue-Man | Mar 9, 2011 11:17:04 AM

20. You seem to be out of touch with reality by for once even thinking that Glee was providing an accurate representation of it. They sing and dance in the hallways of high school during passing period and each episode covers anywhere from one day to an entire month of time at McKinley High.

Posted by: Plum | Mar 9, 2011 11:23:25 AM

21. This scene was one of GLEE's finest moment to date. I was also deeply touched by Santana's surprising (and deeply moving) coming out to Britney. Bravo GLEE!

Posted by: Lewis Payton | Mar 9, 2011 11:44:08 AM

22. Have to admit it made my cry a little. What a far cry from my parents, who told me anything I did sexually with another man would make me less special and could never involve any life-affirming emotion.

Posted by: Roger | Mar 9, 2011 11:54:59 AM

23. Wait until he finds out that sex isn't all it's cracked up to be!

Posted by: anon | Mar 9, 2011 12:04:34 PM

24. OS2Guy, just for the record, if I were madly in love with a guy, I wouldn't want our first sex to happen while he was passed out drunk in my bed -- especially if that were my first time with anyone EVER.

Posted by: Rob Tisinai | Mar 9, 2011 12:14:53 PM

25. For the record, having sex with someone who is passed out an not able to consent is rape, and I don't think Kurt would be the type.

Although the talk was clearly unrealistic - what is on this show - I loved the idea of making Kurt a bit freaked about the mechanics of sex - a lot of even gay men are freaked out by anal and won't do it. Not to mention it showcased Chris Colfer's amazing acting ability - he actually blushed!

Posted by: CPT_Doom | Mar 9, 2011 12:40:53 PM