SCOTUS Justice Antonin Scalia in Rear-End incident

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia caused an accident yesterday:

Scalia The Supreme Court justice was ticketed early Tuesday for his role in a four-car fender-bender. No injuries to anyone but the cars — including Scalia’s, which had to be towed.

The accident happened just before 9 a.m. on what was to be a big day for the jurist: The nation’s highest court was hearing arguments in the massive Wal-Mart gender discrimination case. According to U.S. Park Police, Scalia was driving south on the parkway approaching Roosevelt Bridge when he rear-ended a car that had stopped for traffic, triggering a chain reaction.

Brooke Salkoff saw it all go down. The former NBC reporter told us she was just behind Scalia’s vehicle, a shiny black BMW in the left lane. “It slammed into the car in front of his, which pushed the other two forward,” and caused them all to skew into the right lane, she said.

Scalia made it to court on time for 10am arguments.

Comments

1. DC says

I’m actually surprised to learn Supreme Court justices aren’t driven around by a security detail. I mean, if the Agriculture Secretary has a driver, shouldn’t the justices of the nation’s highest court?

2. george says

Sometimes it does feel like we’re waiting around for the older generation to die off so we can just have our equal rights. Scalia is like the king of those old people. It’s morbid but true.

3. says

Actually “DR”, it’s an honest emotional reaction toward a man who views us as scum and whos blatant bigoted decisions are aimed at harming us.

Take your sanctimonious criticism back in the closet.

4. Beef and Fur says

No doubt he was distracted by reading the Constitution through the little crystal cross that he wears around his neck.

You know, the one that features a secret center stone, which when held up to the light, reveals the entire Lord’s Prayer, I mean US Constitution….

5. BobN says

He was anxious to get to the Court on time. It’s a great day in Scalia’s world when you can take another step toward the elimination of class-action suits. He was probably giddy with excitement.

6. Robert In WeHo says

I take heart in this accident. It could mean that Scalia’s faculties are starting to slip. If that’s the case, he could be off the bench sooner than we think…

7. anon says

Congress sets the budget for SCOTUS operations, so they probably prioritize with clerks at the expense of things like drivers. I would recommend a mandatory retirement age for federal judges of perhaps 75 or so. I’d also limit service on the SC to 25 years.

8. David B. 2 says

in my experience, SCOTUS justices are assigned US marshals not secret service as protection, at least when we see them in Los Angeles. I assume they always have drivers, maybe something is different with Scalia’s preferences or schedules that makes it more likely for him to skip the limo treatment. Might actually save the government some money, but with people shooting congressmen, I’d be careful if I were him generally.