Armie Hammer | Clint Eastwood | Film | J. Edgar Hoover | Kiss | Lance Black | Leonardo Dicaprio | News

Leonardo DiCaprio and Armie Hammer Film 'Very Passionate' Kiss

Jedgar Leonardo DiCaprio and Armie Hammer shot a big kissing scene last week for the Clint Eastwood biopic J Edgar about the former FBI director, E! News' Marc Malkin and Brett Malec report:

"It was on Friday when they had their kissing scene, and it was very passionate," the source tells us.

For those who don't know, DiCaprio stars in the film as late FBI boss J. Edgar Hoover. Hammer plays his protégé and rumored lover Clyde Tolson.

"[They did] more [takes] than Clint normally does," adds our source. "They wanted to make it right...It's a more involved scene than just the kissing...It was so sexy."

Early in February, Hammer told DiCaprio to "pucker up."

In February, screenwriter Dustin Lance Black responded to reports that Clint Eastwood chose the film specifically because it didn't have a gay angle:

"I think [Eastwood is] referring to the fact that he’s not going into the stereotypes of who Hoover was because they are clownish, they are comic book and they reek of homophobia and he’s not going to do that. I agree with that. It won’t be going into anything that is a gay stereotype, especially that was used in that day to bash gay men. It won’t be going into that because it’s not accurate and it’s not true. It will deal with sexuality in a far more human, realistic way."

Comments

1. Man, I wish I'd been there to see that! Hope it doesn't hit the cutting room floor.

Posted by: Joseph | Mar 17, 2011 12:58:56 PM

2. Who cares? J. Edgar Hoover was a creep. The guy blackmailed and destroyed the lives of many innocent people. Just because someone was gay doesn't make him heroic.

If the movie white washes Hoover's misdeeds, why bother?

Posted by: Rick | Mar 17, 2011 1:20:37 PM

3. I think JEH's self-loathing was at the heart of the problems he created at the FBI, which linger to this day. It would be unwise for Clint to ignore this premise. The FBI was created mostly as a PR showcase to thwart interstate kidnapping (all the rage in the 1920's) and keep a lid on the labor movement. That's why the bureau is so showy but generally ineffective. Hoover was no doubt paranoid lest his secrets come to life.

Posted by: anon | Mar 17, 2011 1:40:37 PM

4. Clint Eastwood ruined Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by making the main character straight and then putting his own daughter in as a phony love interest. Im not really a fan of his, but it should be interesting to see what he does with Hoover.

Posted by: Jerry | Mar 17, 2011 2:42:07 PM

5. Don't ruin it like Midnight.... Clint!!

Posted by: alan brickman | Mar 17, 2011 7:02:16 PM

6. Eastwood's motive for making this film is no doubt Hoover being such an evil guy.

Anyone who saw the look on Eastwood's face when he handed out the best film award to Brokeback at the Globes knows what kind of attitude he has towards gay men. Not to mention the gay bashing scene in Mystic River.

Posted by: fern | Mar 17, 2011 9:37:44 PM

7. What's so sexy about a kissing scene between a white supremacist who help destroy the lives of innocent people during the communist witch-hunt and his freeloading boyfriend, who drew a government paycheck simply for smoking Hoover's pole? "OMG, Leo and Armie are so HOT together!". You queens are pathetic!

Posted by: Mr. Drummond | Mar 17, 2011 9:58:59 PM

8. I'll believe it when I see it. I might be the only one who thinks the Brokeback Mountain kiss didn't look realistic.

Posted by: BigKev | Mar 17, 2011 10:15:07 PM

9. J Edgar Hoover was a cross dresser (or at least according to NPR). He was also a huge dick (according to all the people he persecuted). How are these "gay stereotypes"?

I am not so sure he was gay--and I don't mean this in any sort of homophobic way, but being single and wearing a dress doesn't make you gay. He had clandestine affairs with married women...And the reports of his sexuality all seem very "made up". For example, I don't know many gay men who only have sex with young boys on top of Bibles--okay, I don't know of any. That's my point.

I think making him "gay" in this movie is kind of a bad thing considering what a malicious fart-weasel he was. The negative gay stereotypes comment I find even more offensive--its just another slap against gay men who are femme or God forbid, like Ru Paul put on a dress.

I don't like this movie. Maybe pic Benjamin Franklin (I always thought he was gay) and present the idea of someone as respectable as him as being gay.

And for the record, picking Leo DiCaprio to play a man who looked like a troll and was crueler than a Nazi troll is glamorizing that cruelty.

Posted by: Rin | Mar 18, 2011 7:58:28 AM