Crime | New York | News

Man Beaten in Anti-Gay Assault in NYC's West Village

Furtch

Police are looking for two men in connection with an anti-gay hate crime that occurred over the weekend in NYC's West Village, blogger Steph Watts reports:

"26 year old Damian Furtch was on his way home from work at a restaurant late Sat night (Sunday morning), when he stopped off at a McDonalds in NYC’s West Village ( a predominantly gay area) to get some food. It was approx. 4:30 am. While inside the restaurant Damian noticed 2 men staring at him – giving him 'looks' – we have all been there, we know what this feels like. It was late, Damian was tired, he felt uncomfortable and he didn’t want any trouble so he left. He was across the street, walking away while on the phone to a friend when the 2 men from McDonalds approached him and asked him 'if he had a problem' before he knew it he was punched in the face by one man, then instantly felt another punch by the second perp, and then he heard it – 'You F**king Faggot, the words as hurtful as the punches."

"One of the perps has a huge tattoo of a gothic cross under his left eye..it was approximately 2 inches," according to Watts, and police are reportedly looking at surveillance tape from McDonald's.

Furtch posted photos labeled "Gay Bash" of his bruised and stitched up face on Facebook.

Wrote Furtch on his Facebook page: "WELL I THOUGHT I WAS SAFE IN THE CITY I LOVED BUT APPARENTLY WEARING FLORESCENT COLORED CLOTHING AND PINK SHOES LACES REALLY BOTHER SOME F**KING ASSHOLES TO BLIND SIDE ME AND HIT ME.....4 STICHES THANKS BITCHES"

Just terrible. We wish Damian the best in his recovery and efforts to bring the attackers to justice.

Comments

1. @Francis,

I don't think it's strictly about race and I know whites gay bash. That said, NYC and pretty much all American urban areas are top heavy 'minority'. Most violent crime in general in NYC and other American cities is committed my 'minority' males, especially 'youths'. The projects in Manhattan [and NYC in general, as is the case in all American cities] are overwhelmingly 'minority', and neighborhoods that surround these projects have violent crime that's strongly associated with the projects. Finally, most VIOLENT crime in America [especially gun related], both numerically and proportionately, occurs in cities and urban areas, not suburbs or rural areas.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 28, 2011 5:47:43 PM

2. I disagree about "most" violent crime in big cities being committed by minorities. It is a disproportionate amount, but not most. With that said, I do agree that urban/low-income areas are disproportionately made up of minority citizens, for a few reasons, and that most crimes happen in the heart of cities and urban areas. And it's obviously true that the atmosphere of the projects does seep itself in to less naturally violent areas in NYC. I don't think it should be made into a minority thing, because it isn't. It's a cultural thing that hasn't been addressed whatsoever and has been allowed to basically grow into the major issue it is today.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 28, 2011 8:33:52 PM

3. I don't think self-defense classes are a very good idea. They're expensive, you're guaranteed to get injured, and they're generally not very effective at stopping hardened criminals from beating you senseless. It doesn't matter how tough you think you are after taking one, odds are there's someone out there who's tougher, meaner, and crazier; especially someone willing to deploy indiscriminate violence, particularly the kind of people who get two-inch facial tattoos of Christian symbols on their face.

Situational awareness goes a lot further. People don't want to hear it, but it's generally not a good idea to walk around an urban area at 4:30 a.m. in clothes that accentuate your sexuality. That's not blaming the victim. It's about avoiding attacks. It's not blaming the victim, and it's not sexist, to suggest that women should not walk around alone at that hour in sexually-revealing outfits. It'd be nice if we lived in an idealistic world where it didn't matter, but we don't.

Unfortunately it looked like he didn't have a choice. He was getting off work where he was required to dress that way. Maybe others who work in gay restaurants and clubs who have to walk home late at night should consider bringing a change of clothes. There's work clothes and then there's "street" clothes, which are determined by the rules of the street. Follow them.

Posted by: Xtab | Mar 28, 2011 10:33:00 PM

4. @Francis,

Sorry, MOST violent crime in NYC and other urban American areas are committed by black males and/or 'minority' males. The NYC police commissioner publicly admitted in 2008 that whites were identified as responsible for 2% of gun related crimes and shooting in NYC the previous year. Google homicide map for any large U.S. city. Google FBI and DOJ crime statistics. And as hard as this is to believe, in the U.S. as a whole, the FBI identified black males as the perp 51% of the time in murders. That figure in just urban areas is much higher. 6% of the U.S. population [black U.S. population is 13%, males are the minority gender by 1%] committed 51% of murders in the U.S., and much higher percentage in big cities like NY. How does this manage to fly below the radar screen? I know, do you?

I would also add there are many 'poor' or disadvantaged people who don't turn their neighborhoods and whole cities into sh*t. Many do not roam around jumping people, pistol whipping them, robbing them, called a cab or food delivery so they can rob and kill the cabbie or deliveryman, etc., And in the past, there were many examples of, for example, disadvantaged whites in these same cities who didn't resort to a fraction of the extreme violence, murders, etc., that occur today. The extreme levels of violence in urban America has only existed since the late 60's-70's, up to now.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 28, 2011 10:52:31 PM

5. I agree with you to a certain extent, xtab, but at the same time, people need to defend themselves if someone is there to attack them. Showing any willingness to fight back usually prevents more serious injury, or can create a situation where others are more likely to jump in and stop the fight instead of being scared. You can't just be defenseless in these situations. And I agree that you shouldn't really be walking out at all in urban areas at 4:30 AM, regardless of what you are/aren't wearing, and if you are, be careful, aware and always have something on you in case something does happen.

Ratbastard, tell me, why do these statistics fly beneath the radar screen?

Posted by: Francis | Mar 28, 2011 11:46:06 PM

6. @Xtab: I happened to be walking by the San Francisco LGBT center earlier tonight and they were offering a free self-defense class. They even waited for me to walk my dog before starting. It was free, no one got injured, and no one came out thinking they were now invincible. The cop who ran it emphasized repeatedly that there are no guarantees when dealing with attackers. But it's still better to have some knowledge when attacked than to be utterly defenseless.

Many community centers offer free classes of this type, so I don't know why you think they're expensive or "guarantee" injury. A basic class is hardly the same as becoming a black belt in martial arts. Some of the class was just common sense (like the points you make near the end of your post), but all of it was useful. And again, no one came out of the class thinking they're now some incredibly tough badass. Indeed, a big chunk of the presentation was on preventing or evading physical altercations.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 29, 2011 12:39:49 AM

7. Well Francis why don't you just say to watch out for Black's and Latino's ignorant bastard. Once again your subliminal language AGAIN

I guess there are no low income whites living in NYC and they don't gay bash because Caucasians just adore our Gay community don't they????

Posted by: Chris Da Chocolatebearcub | Mar 29, 2011 2:18:14 AM

8. Excuse me Francis apologies not you I meant...THAT FAGGOT HERE RATBASTARD!

Always the minorities. Sick ass cock sucker!

Posted by: Chris Da Chocolatebearcub | Mar 29, 2011 2:20:58 AM

9. Chris..? I'm not ratbastard but I agree with him. And you using that language just PROVES his point. Low income uneducated thugs like you and your kind just can't be civil. It's not in your blood. You'll probably end up in jail with the rest of your family. Truth hurts.

Posted by: Roftes | Mar 29, 2011 7:41:11 AM

10. @Roftes, you are disgusting.

Re: RatBastard the RaceBaiter's point...

I think you racist whities are relatively safe compared to the intracommunity violence the black community faces. RaceBaiter posted some data about black men being 6% of the US population but perpetrating 51% of the murders. How much of that violent crime is ON OTHER BLACKS? I would guess that most of it is, but I'm not a criminologist. One of you racists who loves to pore over race-based data ad infinitum will find it out and report back, I'm sure.

And to you non-racists out there reading this who actually care about ALL hate (not just hate from blacks) and about communities of human beings be they black, white, Latino, or other groups...thank you!

Posted by: redball | Mar 29, 2011 9:31:22 AM

11. CHRIS and REDBALl:

I didn't comment on the anti-Black/anti-Latino comments even though I knew they were coming. There are White Gays (and others) who are simply obssessed and terrified of Black people. Let them stay that way.

The irony of this particular case is that I believe the attackers were probably White (a Gothic Cross tattoo on the thug's face?). Also, I'm not sure of the race of the young man who was victimized. On his facebook entry he has one photograph in which he is being comforted by either a Black partner or friend.

But let the Gay racist bigots do their talk...let them continue suffer with their "Urban White Gay Boy Scared to Death of Blacks Blues" Tough sh.t--deal with it.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 29, 2011 10:19:23 AM

12. Yeah, like I've said. None of this should be solely about race. It's a cultural issue. It's an issue with assimilating these criminals into society. It's an issue with the street thug mentality. It's an issue with poverty and drug use. It's an issue of a lack of education and a hostility against LGBT people (especially fem gays, trans-persons, drag queens etc., because these thugs have a desperate need to validate their masculinity). It's an issue with most of these thugs having no healthy family structure. These thugs come in all colors. You want the hate crimes in NYC and in many other cities to stop, well, then we the tax paying, law abiding people need to clean up and take back the streets.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 29, 2011 10:27:17 AM

13. Damian said the attackers appeared to be Latino.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 29, 2011 10:38:44 AM

14. @Derrick, Thank God for you other brothers here! Sometimes it's lonely and cold here amidst all the racist voices.

@Roftes...about "faggot": I bristle when straights use the term, but Chris is, I'm sure, not straight (he's here way too much for that LOL) and thus his use of the term here is CORRECT. If you don't understand, you can listen to Chris Rock's brilliant bit on how he loooooves black people, but hates ni**ers. Basically the issue is: when you share the same minority identity with someone who epitomizes all the ugly stereotypes of YOUR OWN community, you are free to call them out with a pejorative term that is traditionally used against your community. It doesn't have the same "bite" as when it comes from someone in the outgroup.

When Chris calls Ratbastard a faggot (I've seen it a couple of times), I LAUGH b/c it is funny and it is funny b/c it is well-deserved as well as ironic.

Posted by: redball | Mar 29, 2011 12:25:45 PM

15. @PAUL R

Good point. I shouldn't have been too hasty to slam self-defense classes. If you are attacked, it's useful to know how to defend yourself enough to allow a hasty escape.

Posted by: Xtab | Mar 29, 2011 11:22:28 PM

16. Where are the Pink Panthers? We need them now.

Posted by: TomJ | Mar 30, 2011 1:33:32 PM

17. Pathetic comments.

ANY time ANYONE points out the OBVIOUS, that blacks have a VERY, VERY high level of VIOLENT crime in majority black communities and that young black males in urban areas commit A LOT ... DISPROPORTIONATE, even MAJORITY of violent crime in many urban areas of America, and you get called the 'R' word and other names. The truth hurts, I know. But EVERYBODY with a BRAIN and experience know what I said is 100% bonafide truth.

Where did I mention 'Latinos'? I didn't. But it's funny how some blacks will always bring up 'Latinos', like they need back-up or whatever, when talking about 'Racist' . Anyway, when he described the crucifix tattoo on the face, I assumed the attackers were probably 'Latino' , not black.

You dipsh*ts know nothing about me, my life experiences, what I look like [am I 'ethnic' looking LOL?!] and so-on. I have black friends. I have 'Latino' friends...close friends. I attended an Asian majority HS for 2 years. I'm used to speaking my mind and 99% of the people of all races and ethnicities I'm in contact with and have shot the sh*t with, agree with most of what I say. Black people know the violence in so-called black 'communities' is out of control. They know black urban youth are responsible [as a group] for a lot of violent crime. 'Latinos' living a 'hood' know there's a big problem violence, gangs, etc., and that it's not whites they have to worry about in this regard. Are there violent whites? Of course. But in urban areas, cities, 'minority' youth are the primary violent predators. EVERYBODY of every race, ethnicity, gender, etc., living in urban areas knows this. It's no secret or racist theory.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 31, 2011 5:28:44 AM

18. Well Francis why don't you just say to watch out for Black's and Latino's ignorant bastard. Once again your subliminal language AGAIN

I'm not the guy you are complaining about, but that is EXACTLY what I do. I view groups of black or Latino men late at night in the big city as a threat to my safety. Don't want to hear it? Tough luck.

Posted by: Just Saw | Mar 31, 2011 8:15:59 AM

19. Thanks for the post. This is really horrible, and I can't believe how crazy this world has gotten. If I ever visit New York, I'll be sure to bring pepper spray, I can tell you that.

Posted by: Ginger Sanders | Aug 3, 2012 10:53:09 AM