Advertising | Football | Tim Tebow

Tim Tebow: Chuck Norris Is The Coolest Person I Know

Tim
Focus on the Family supporter Tim Tebow, who signed on as spokesperson for Jockey last summer, will reportedly make his commercial debut for the company next week.

In an interview related to the advertising campaign, Tebow was asked to name the coolest person he knows. Taking the NFL quarterback's very conservative views into account, his response shouldn't be too much of a surprise: "Absolutely, definitely Chuck Norris."

Chuck Norris: the same man who argued last month that the United States school system is too pro-gay and in the past has said that federal hate crimes legislation would protect pedophiles. Not much of a hero in my book.

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Gay people may dislike Tim Tebow, but football fans really HATE him for his nauseating preachiness. I pity him for having been raised in a cult. I wonder if he'll ever get over it. It took me most of my life to get over my Catholic brainwashing. I don't think Tim Tebow has much of a chance.

Posted by: Frank | Mar 27, 2011 2:02:08 PM

2. @Rowan and David Kaufman: Your accusations are completely FALSE.

David, Andy has never said ANYTHING on Towleroad that would suggest he is racist.

And Rowan: No, over 75% of the comments on Charles Barkley here did NOT criticize his grammar. Part of Barkley's public comment was: I love the homosexuality people."
    The part of my own comment that addressed his wording was:
    "It's funny wording, but great sentiment, and brave of him to step up to the plate to say this."

I'm in a multiracial family and don't have a racist bone in my body. If you think that what I said has ANYTHING to do with what color he is, you've got a huge chip on your shoulder that needs to come off if you're ever to stop seeing the world through muddied glasses.

There were 51 OTHER comments in that Charles Barkley thread. Exactly three referred to his odd wording at all. One (by Tranquilo) just said "A homosexuality people and proud!"

Joe said: "His phrasing may have been odd - "the homosexuality people" - but his message was clear." (followed by praise)

JP said: "I actually think his ability to express himself in such a 'clumsy' way makes this even more vital." (also followed by praise for his comments)
    by JP.

That was it. 22 other comments heaped praise on Barkley's comments without addressing the wording, and 26 more comments went off on mostly unrelated tangents that ended up being about a soccer game in Qatar and transgendered bathrooms.

4 out of 52 is not more than three-quarters, and even those four were very supportive of Barkley and not racist in any way, shape or form.

I honestly sometimes wonder if some of the commenters (like david Kaufman and Rowan) are trolls from the teaparty who come on here in the hopes of creating faux outrage over made-up controversies.

Posted by: GregV | Mar 27, 2011 2:02:59 PM

3. So we should be surprised that one homophobic asshat admires another? I'm happy to dismiss these kinds of jerks as the insignificant bugs they are...

Posted by: Brian | Mar 27, 2011 2:29:52 PM

4. No GregV, it is common knowledge that any post dealing with people of color on this site brings out the racist trolls. I don't believe the editors of this site are racist, but sometimes they engage in race baiting. And I love how people will trip over themselves to make excuses for an attractive Caucasian male. Tebow is an evangelical Christian that is super against abortion. Is it really that much of a stretch to believe that this man also is not super tolerant of Gays? Would it help if I mentioned that he goes to an African American church?

Posted by: sugarrhill | Mar 27, 2011 2:31:50 PM

5. GREGV

Maybe you are the troll, sticking up for someone you don't know who has been seen and read to side with constantly anti-gay groups BUT has still said nothing to say his side. But at least he spoke about good ol Chuck.

I don't agree that Andy is anti-black at all, that's just sweeping, like Tebow and his support for grous without understanding what most women go through before they have an abortion.

If he'd defended life but the some about the amount of kids in social care and what should try to do to help them, I would've listened.

This guy isn't stupid and has luckily has been able to have an education where he understand the core of an essay is to see ALL sides of an argument to truly make a heroic opinon.

Maybe it's just the UK but my masters tutors berated me hugely even with some evidence that I am making a statement with o back up evidence and damn, I'm not that bad!

My comment was re the commenters.

All those praising Barkley must jhave slipped after I got tired of what people were saying. Better still, it's hard to rag on a guy-Barkley-when he has just done what he has done.

What has Tebow done?

To me the simple fact that grammar was such a factor for people when you are supporting gays in the first, what , 10' responses and with this used, at least half has supported he is not anti gay despite the fact he aligns himself with those groups-is shocking.

Really shocking.

One is saying he supports gays, publicly, in a room fool of jocks on tv.

The other says he loves an anti gay prick on an advertisement he is getting paid for...

And we all LOVE Tebow?

Something is seriously wrong here.

But I'm not black and white.

People like who the like and that is life. I just thought it was interesting to point out the pattern of how people think on non shitty blog like this.

That's all.

As is life.

Posted by: Rowan | Mar 27, 2011 2:38:47 PM

6. Wasn't Tebow the guy who raised a few eyebrows when his former teammate/roommate gave him a big smooch on the sidelines and he said they frequently kiss? I doubt he's that anti-gay.

Posted by: anon | Mar 27, 2011 2:43:35 PM

7. Didn't the coach that traded away everything to get him for Denver get sacked? Hes too juiced up on 'roids with no real passing skill to stay in the NFL.

Posted by: joeblo | Mar 27, 2011 3:22:09 PM

8. No, Anon.

Posted by: sugarrhill | Mar 27, 2011 4:36:03 PM

9. i wrote to jockey and complained and they didn't seem to care. i asked to be taken off their mailing list and told them i no longer would purchase their product. i got very short
    email saying sorry but too bad. i don't think they are worried.

Posted by: walter | Mar 27, 2011 4:44:52 PM

10. It appears Mr. Tebow's college ed-gee-ka-shun wasn't a very liberal one! He ain't cool, kids, he's a red, white and blue bigot just like his low-life third rate actor-friend Chuckie Norris. Timmy can spokesperson-speak for Jockey all he wants but I'll never buy their brand as long as he's involved.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Mar 27, 2011 5:12:34 PM

11. The boy is a product of Christian Missionaries, was home-schooled, as were his siblings, by momma, who sought to instill 'christian' values in them. Seems that they might be Baptists. Not sure why the home-schooling was felt to be so important when there are lots of good parochial schools around that can also instill 'christian' values in kids, but often it's to shield the kids from the 'heathen' that are out there in the public schools.
    I think Tim knows exactly what he is doing when he supported Focus on the Family, and thinks Chuck Norris is uber-cool, and it goes beyond an anti-abortion stance or a tough-guy persona.
    Like others on here, I've bought my last pair of jockey apparel.

Posted by: cbhermey | Mar 27, 2011 6:23:49 PM

12. You should let Jockey know what you think of their spokeswhore Tim Tebow at:

Posted by: SteveC | Mar 27, 2011 6:24:31 PM

13. @Anthony,

Nicely put!

Posted by: AlbanySteve | Mar 27, 2011 6:26:38 PM

14. How SILLY. Towleroad is not racist, thats just more bullshit reasoning to split the gay community further to make us less threatening.

Posted by: Amanda Huggankiss | Mar 27, 2011 6:50:52 PM

15. I'd do him and he would probably squeal with delight.

Posted by: Mac McNeill | Mar 27, 2011 8:38:03 PM

16. Hello
    The street address, list of executives, fax number and landline are listed below.
    I have been buying their clothes for 32 years. This is like Anita Byrant and FL. orange juice.
    Stevec is correct you should let Jockey International know how disgusting they are:
    Debra Waller is the Ceo.

Director MIS Operations and Technical Support Brian Elliott
    VP Sales and Merchandising Special Market Brands Jim Althaus
    EVP Jockey Brand Merchandising and Sales Valerie Leclaire
    Director Public Relations Mo Moorman
    SVP, General Counsel, and Corporate Secretary Mark Jaeger

Posted by: BCM | Mar 27, 2011 10:33:02 PM

17. Tebow isn't as dumb as you think he is. He is the poster boy for the ultra right wing Christian bigots, it's just that he's smart enough not to push it too far in order to appeal to the masses and sell his product.

Posted by: hank | Mar 28, 2011 12:22:22 AM

18. Good point, Rowan, but I don't necessarily think it's because of race. I think it's because people think Tim is hot, and because he looks like an All-American jock that everyone adores and comes off as the perfect American, whereas Charles is a somewhat overweight somewhat loudmouth middle-aged bald guy with a police record. Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 27, 2011 11:35:30 AM

Now Francis if that wasn't about race lets dissect what you just said: (I think it's because people think Tim is hot and because he looks like an All-American jock)
    STOP WHAT DOES THAT TRANSLATE TO? A WHITE MALE! They always call them the All American Boy. Since when do they consider minorities to be that?

Continued :( that everyone adores and comes off as the perfect American,)
    STOP and that is viewed in the eyes of??? CAUCASIANS!

Continued :( whereas Charles is a somewhat overweight somewhat loudmouth middle-aged bald guy with a police record.)
    And this is viewed like this by whom? CAUCASIANS because even we African Americans may feel some things but we always mention he was PROFESSIONAL NBA PLAYER AND A FAMOUS ONE AT THAT!

Sometimes terminology is the subliminal voice of racism my dear friend!

Posted by: Chris Da Chocolatebearcub | Mar 28, 2011 1:02:34 AM

19. Just so long as Timmy continues looking hunky, Andy Towle will always have space for him on his blog, no matter what Tebow says about the gayz.

Posted by: von lmo | Mar 28, 2011 5:32:34 AM

20. Sorry, but I know plenty of athletes and 24 year olds who are aware enough to understand cultural and political affiliations. This whole "he's young and dumb" free pass we're giving him needs to stop. It's a disservice to the multitudes of socially progressive, aware, and, most importantly, informed young adults out there.

If Tim Tebow was 16, I might accept that argument, though even then, as a 16 year old, my friends and I were aware of why a hate group was called a hate group. And if we weren't, we did our research.

Tim Tebow doesn't have time to use Google?

Posted by: luminum | Mar 28, 2011 10:47:23 AM

21. Also, even though Chuck Norris is a meme for my generation, I and others I know are informed enough to choose not to promote him as some kind of iconic hero while maintaining the bigoted opinions he has. If Tebow said Mel Gibson because of how much he adores the Lethal Weapon franchise, should he be thus excused for being so naive?

There is false dichotomy about what you can and cannot pay attention to. Recognizing and highlighting instances of thoughtlessness and the need for political responsibility (yes, because when people enter a political foray, such as supporting a socio-political group like FotF, they are thus responsible to be educated about their political statements) does not come "at the cost" of spotlighting more extreme and gross abuses against our community. You should feel fed up if all Towleroad talks about is Tim Tebow and ignores gay bashings, bigoted legislation, or socio-political violence, but it doesn't.

There's no competing air-time here, and I welcome stories like this just as much as I welcome hearing about what's happening in human rights abuses in Uganda, gay bashings in New York City, and gay parentage in Belgium.

Posted by: luminum | Mar 28, 2011 11:01:21 AM

22. Anyone think that if Chuck Norris were an openly anti-Black or Latino bigot that Tebow would be citing him as cool? Ignorance is no excuse. I don't know Tebow's views on homosexuality, but I know his background and I know the company he keeps. He's another pretty jock who's going to go a long way (with some people) spouting conservative platitudes.

Posted by: Nick | Mar 28, 2011 12:19:28 PM

23. @Rowan

You are DEAD wrong.

I just went back and looked at the Charles Barkley thread that you mentioned. Most of the comments on that thread actually praised Charles Barkley for what he said. The controversy that erupted on that post had nothing to do race but had to do with the acronym "LGBT."

And Kaufman, to hear you say it, everyone who is white and/or gay is a racist and/or a member of the "GayKK" and I don't think that this site is anymore dedicated to denigrating "black culture" than The Root is dedicated to denigrating gays.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Mar 28, 2011 12:24:22 PM

24. Tebow is a spokesman not only for Focus on the Family, a certified hate group that's particularly virulent toward LGBT people, but also for Jockey. Remember that when you're shopping for underwear - and spread the word. Why knowingly support our enemies? No Jockey shorts! (hmmm . . I like how that sounds!)

Posted by: Charlie-o | Mar 28, 2011 1:12:08 PM

25. "family, youth and community sciences". This is what they call old home ec departments. I don't think he's any genius. His GPA probably reflects the heavily watered down sociology and psychology material that predominates in these departments.

Posted by: Rich | Mar 28, 2011 1:33:08 PM