Glee | Kiss | Saturday Night Live | Teabagger | Victoria Jackson

Victoria Jackson Rails Against CNN and Homosexuality

Earlier this week, Victoria Jackson appeared on CNN defending her anti-gay statements about that now much talked about gay kiss on Glee. The former Saturday Night Live cast member continues to rage against against homosexuality in her most recent column in World Net Daily. Jackson rambles on about how she believes the employees and on air talent at CNN are "pod people" and talks about having gay friends who she doesn't seem to believe are really gay (she even writes the word in quotes):

6a00d8341c730253ef014e60086e29970c "Driving to the Atlanta airport, I thought about G, my lifelong college friend from Auburn. He drove with me cross country in my 1980 beat-up Toyota Starlet when I went to Hollywood to be an actress. He was the only person who believed in me. He knows all of my sins. I know a few of his. I always tell him I don't believe he is 'gay' – we went on a date once and even kissed. We wrote a screenplay together. He loves drama. I can picture him now laughing, 'Victoria, what are you doing?! Your career! You'll never work again in Hollywood! Oh, but Hollywood loves a scandal!' And, then the twinkle in his eye. I can see my best friend A, who I also tell is not 'gay,' saying in his British accent, 'Victoria, my shiny, shiny friend! I still love you!' and then the big hug!"

Her take on gay roles in Hollywood:

"Actors play murderers, robbers and gossips, but the gay lifestyle is always glorified. The other sins always seem to be punished or redeemed, but TV shows never show the downside to homosexuality: the loneliness, shame, broken families and marriages, diseases. The shame does not come from 'society' but from God. So, even if the gays get everyone in the world to accept their behavior as "normal," there will still be shame, because it goes against God. Unless sin numbs their soul and their heart turns to stone, they will hear the still, small voice of God saying, 'I have a better way.' I was asked to do a lesbian kiss in a show once, and I said no. But, I'm guilty of being part of a few movies that may have been a bad influence on young people. I'm very sorry to anyone I led away from God."

Watch Annie Solstad of NYC's 3rd wheel comedy troupe do a Saturday Night Live-worthy impersonation of an anti-Little Mermaid Jackson, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Maybe she should actually read the book she's holding in her hand. Timothy 2:12 KJV "But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence."

(I don't believe this, but then I'm an atheist. We believe in wacky things like equality for women)

Posted by: marshallt | Mar 26, 2011 10:08:46 AM

2. What is sad about this situation is that she, like many performers and artists, is probably surrounded by gay people. Her stunted evolution as a human is not an inate characteristic, but the product of the evil, misguided, and anti-Christian teachings of so many clergy members which continue to fuel the animus and ignorance on their flock. On judgment day, these false prophets will have to answer to their God and repent for their shameful behavior. This woman is a victim of ill-intentioned clergy and needs to be delivered from HER sinful lifestyle.

Posted by: Tigger | Mar 26, 2011 10:12:53 AM

3. She is LOVING that you are all making her relevant again. I will not be paying any further attention to this cow.

Posted by: Jerry | Mar 26, 2011 10:43:25 AM

4. Whenever I see these stories of washed-up minor celebrities who vanished from view decades ago saying stupid stuff, I wonder "what major figure in the Democratic Party is about to do something homophobic, requiring a story to divert our outrage away from them and onto this nonentity to give them cover?"

Posted by: Brian Miller | Mar 26, 2011 10:45:24 AM

5. "Her stunted evolution as a human is not an inate characteristic, but the product of the evil, misguided, and anti-Christian teachings of so many clergy members"

No, homophobia and misogyny are core and unshakable tenets of Christianity. If you read the Bible, that's undeniable.

If one wants to claim to be Christian and pro-gay/pro-woman, he must necessarily declare that he is also anti-Bible.

Posted by: Brian Miller | Mar 26, 2011 10:52:23 AM

6. How strange. Victoria Jackson was the only cast member of SNL who refused to go on stage because Andrew Dice Clay was the featured guest and she refused to perform with him because of his views. I'm really surprised at this.

It's really strange - few people also know that Fred Phelps was once a prominent civil rights attorney. Why do these folks turn weird?

Posted by: Ted | Mar 26, 2011 11:25:21 AM

7. "Why do these folks turn weird?"

Oh, I'm guessing a pathologically desperate need for attention and a sad, washed-up life might have something to do with it.

@Brian: Victoria Jackson is a cover-up for Democratic homophobia? Is that an example of Victoria logic?

Posted by: Ernie | Mar 26, 2011 11:33:34 AM

8. She loves her bible. Especially basted in white wine at 350 degrees until gold an bubbly.

Posted by: Effie Ewe | Mar 26, 2011 11:35:24 AM

9. QUIT paying attention to this whack job. I am tired of her screechy BS. Ignore her and she will go away.

Posted by: AJ | Mar 26, 2011 11:41:30 AM

10. "I have gay friends"

Well after this tirade I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't have anymore.

Posted by: Stephen | Mar 26, 2011 12:02:09 PM

11. I was living in San Francisco when OJ Simpson went postal. The first I heard of it was when the corpulent schizophrenic with the rancid bleached dreads who hung out by Baghdad Café started waving a trashed newspaper and screaming "Orange juice kills! Don't drink it! Orange juice murders!" Swap the Chronicle for that book by Mr. Gideon and you'd have Jackson.

We need to hook her up with Fred Phelps or perhaps MIchelle Bachmann (who can tell the difference?). It'd be great fun to watch.

Posted by: Bryan | Mar 26, 2011 12:28:28 PM

12. I always thought she was hilarious on SNL and really liked her - I had no idea she was so incredibly ignorant and misguided. So sad.

Posted by: bdslater9 | Mar 26, 2011 12:30:44 PM

13. He who is without sin eat the first scone.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 26, 2011 12:39:35 PM

14. I would hardly classify anti-gay teachings as a "tenet" of Christianity. Its mentioned in 4 or 5 passages in a book of tens of thousands. And who knows if the translation is correct an in the proper context and why those things were written. (possibly because one didn't want a strapping male banging a dude and not making a baby in times when numbers mattered) Either way, I classify the anti gay stuff right up there with the no shell fish and selling one's daughter into slavery. Just not relevant today.. :)

Posted by: Tigger | Mar 26, 2011 12:48:18 PM

15. Dear Ms. Jackson:
    You can put those fears to rest that you led anyone away from God. You are not nearly important enough, nor clever enough, to lead anyone anywhere.
    Please return to obscurity where you belong.

Posted by: Tom | Mar 26, 2011 12:48:48 PM

16. Yeah - I caught her a few years back while channel surfing and thought - Oh, Victoria Jackson, what's she up to? Then she starts singing this song about evolutionists and immediately, I wrote her off as another (*literally) shrill harpy for the religious right.
    With all this attention on her - we should direct it to her fellow SNL alumn that's actually smart and talented and deserving of it: Julia Sweeney. Oh - but oops - she's an intelligent atheist with incredibly great arguments.

Posted by: OtterPop | Mar 26, 2011 1:07:10 PM

17. She's a non-talent that got lucky with a couple characters on SNL. She was a whack-job then, and she's a whack-job now. I agree with the first remark...why are you giving her so much space?

Posted by: Chuck Willman | Mar 26, 2011 1:38:39 PM

18. "The loneliness, shame, broken families and marriages..." That sounds like life in the closet to me....

Posted by: Jim Stone | Mar 26, 2011 1:42:39 PM

19. @Ted--It was Nora Dunn who protested Andrew Dice Clay's appearance on SNL. This stupid waste of an epidermis was just as ignorant back then as she is now.

Posted by: StillmarriedinCA | Mar 26, 2011 1:53:31 PM

20. Simply bonkers...nuff said!

Posted by: Arturo Beeche | Mar 26, 2011 2:02:10 PM

21. Can we please stop paying attention to this whackjob. This is the last desperate gasp of a washed-up has-been trying to reclaim a bit of whatever limelight she had. The best thing we can do is to consign her to the dustbins of oblivion where she belongs. Victoria, you had your shot at fame and blew it ----NEXT!

Posted by: Loki7329 | Mar 26, 2011 2:14:45 PM

22. Andy, come on. Please stop giving this lunatic virtual column inches.

Posted by: Grant Thornley | Mar 26, 2011 2:40:49 PM

23. There are a bunch of formerly mainstream actors and artists that have jumped on the evangelical bandwagon to salvage their careers. It's a slightly easier market to enter in many ways and forms a mutual flattery association between the artist and their new customers.

Posted by: anon | Mar 26, 2011 2:47:03 PM

24. I read her column. It was seriously incredibly sad, but also sort of scary in that Twilight Zone way. She apparently thinks she's living in the book '1984' and all of us pro-equality, pro-reproductive rights, anti-bigotry folks are incapable of having independent thoughts and are governed by some kind of insidious political hive mind. And I hear this over and over from the far Right and while I view them with a healthy amount of wariness, I'm also sad for them, because they are freaking out so badly over something as basic as having empathy for one's fellow human beings. Because that's all it is - empathy. An acknowledgement that QUILTBAG folks are members of the human family and therefore ought to be treated with respect and acceptance. Taking a stand that bullying of other people, including faith-based bullying, is not cool. That women (and people with uteri) are, in fact, smart enough to make their own reproductive choices. That legally turning control of one person's organs over to a clump of cells, her male relatives, or the state, risking the already-born person's physical and mental health in the process, is also not cool. This isn't insidious group-think, this is basic human rights.

So, so sad.

Posted by: Sonneillon | Mar 26, 2011 3:33:23 PM

25. Oh dear.....

Could she BE a more clueless fag hag?

Posted by: RedCedar | Mar 26, 2011 4:11:11 PM