Katy Perry | Lady Gaga | News

Watch: Katy Perry Covers Lady Gaga's 'Born This Way'

Perry

Katy Perry tried to woo a few little monsters of her own last night at a Paris concert.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. So I take it she's over the whole Gaga blasphemy thing now?

Posted by: Stephen | Mar 8, 2011 2:01:30 PM

2. If only Fergie had joined her for a surprise duet, I would know I really am in hell.

Posted by: Brian | Mar 8, 2011 2:18:38 PM

3. I think it's a little odd for a current pop star to be covering another current pop star's song that just came out and is on heavy radio airplay.

She also covered Rihanna's "Only Girl" at another recent concert.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Mar 8, 2011 2:23:34 PM

4. Brian, I agree. There needs to be enought time between the release of a song and it's cover. I don't know what the rule should be but this does not meet it.

Posted by: Nate | Mar 8, 2011 2:38:45 PM

5. This is because Katy "You're So Gay" Perry's music sucks ass.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 8, 2011 2:41:07 PM

6. Brian, I find it kind of weird too. I know that copyright laws or whatever are a little looser for live performances, but it just seems a little tacky, if nothing else.

Posted by: Austin | Mar 8, 2011 2:43:06 PM

7. Agree with you guys. I'd imagine she at least has to get permission or even pay royalties to Gaga to sing her song. But I'm not an entertainment lawyer....

Posted by: redball | Mar 8, 2011 2:54:33 PM

8. I believe anyone can sing any song in concert, as long as you're not compensating from it, money wise and it's not being reproduced for media braodcast. In America that is. I read that it's different in Europe though.

Tribute bands, how ever, I don't know how that works since they sing all of another artist's song.

Back on topic, she did decent, she could only ever barely sing in a low key. But if you can't even sing your songs live, why would you try and sing someone else's? especially since it's going to be compared? and she was not a fan of GaGa's artistry in the first place. So, blah.

Posted by: B | Mar 8, 2011 3:25:48 PM

9. Katy Perry has been riding Gaga's back for awhile now. First creating the faux-rivalry, then badmouthing her in interviews, and now this. I bet Gaga's chuckling.

Posted by: JTlvr | Mar 8, 2011 3:42:51 PM

10. SO MANY HATAZZZZZZ

Posted by: Mark | Mar 8, 2011 3:43:57 PM

11. well, when you don't have enough talent to fill a concert, you have to use others' material.

Posted by: jaymax | Mar 8, 2011 3:46:56 PM

12. All of Katy Perry's songs sound exactly the same and follow the same formula. Even ones that you think might be different still manage to put that "Ca-li-for-nia girls" sound and rhythm to it. She doesn't write her own songs and uses the most generic producer.

Posted by: tyn | Mar 8, 2011 4:52:15 PM

13. You shouldn't cover, especially acoustically, the song of an artist who is a much better singer than you are. Whatever your feelings on Katy Perry and/or Lady Gaga are any objective person would point out Lady Gaga is a much more talented singer.

Covers work when it is somebody making the song their own like Shawn Colvin singing Crazy by Gnarls Barkley or Travis singing Baby One More Time...this was just bad karaoke

Posted by: testington | Mar 8, 2011 6:47:54 PM

14. GURLS! I can't believe we are arguing over this. The audience did not seem to mind; they were singing along. Why should we? Born This Way is a "freedom" song... lets just sing it! In is time Bob Dylan wrote and sang lots of songs covered by many of his contemporaries --- because they were freedom songs! Let's just sing them!!!

Posted by: Daya | Mar 8, 2011 7:28:15 PM

15. lol what a bunch of tightasses. "i find it a little weird", lol. dammit, it's FUN.

Posted by: barilla | Mar 8, 2011 7:39:10 PM

16. An annoying performer singing another annoying performer's song. I wish they'd BOTH go away.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 8, 2011 8:04:18 PM

17. I didn't think it was bad. I actually learned what some of the words are.

Posted by: Support | Mar 9, 2011 12:18:14 AM

18. I like it. The more people singing it the better.

The only live cover I've liked better was My Chemical Romance's concert cover of "Umbrella."

Posted by: Polyboy | Mar 9, 2011 9:36:06 AM

19. Ok, so we all love that one girl who posted a YouTube video and got invited to Gaga's concert, but some of us HATEHATEHATE that Katy Perry is covering a song she likes just like the rest of us?

I see nothing wrong with this except for the lousy execution; Katy needs many layers of audio to sound great.

Posted by: Drew | Mar 9, 2011 1:02:07 PM