Iowa | Michelle Bachmann | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Michele Bachmann 'Doesn't Have an Answer' on Whether Homosexuality is a Public Health Hazard

Over the weekend, Steve posted about Iowa anti-gay leader Bob Vander Plaats' statement that homosexuality is a public health risk akin to smoking.

M_bachmann Igor Volsky of Think Progress asked Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN), who was in Iowa, as I noted earlier, for a series of lectures with Vander Plaats' group The Family Leader, whether she agreed with those statements.

Bachmann wasn't exactly sure how to answer.

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Also, more audio from Bachmann's appearance in Iowa, in which she says that God told her to introduce an anti-gay marriage amendment in Minnesota. She said that He came to her after Massachusetts legalized same-sex marriage:

"When that happened, I heard the news on my local Christian radio station in Minneapolis, St. Paul and I was devastated. And I took a walk and I just went to prayer and I said Lord, what would you have me do in the Minnesota state senate? And just through prayer I knew that I was to introduce the marriage amendment in Minnesota."

Bachmann also praised Iowans for removing pro-equaity judges, and called for stripping judges of power.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. While homosexuality is no more a Health Hazard than heterosexuality, Michelle "CO2 is GOOD for you" Bachmann definitely is a Health Hazard to all human beings.

Posted by: Tre | Apr 12, 2011 7:45:56 PM

2. Yeah, it's not that she's against gay people, god told her to introduce the legislation. I guess original thought and thinking for herself are beyond her capabilities.

Posted by: Alpha | Apr 12, 2011 7:47:57 PM

3. bachmann is more a hazard than any gay in history. when is the press going to start her the hard questions like where are lexington and concord. the woman is real dim wit. thanks people of wisc.

Posted by: walter | Apr 12, 2011 8:10:50 PM

4. @Walter: well, Minnesota, but yeah. A friend of mine lives in her district and is so embarrassed to be represented by her. And cannot figure out how she ever got elected -- and reelected.

Posted by: Doug Chgo | Apr 12, 2011 9:55:28 PM

5. Her largest campaign contributors are Target Corp and the company's executives. I have not stepped in one of their stores since last July.

Posted by: Matt F | Apr 12, 2011 10:17:32 PM

6. Hopefully redistricting will help or at least get me out of her district. It really is embarrassing to represented by her, especially when I can't think of anything she and I agree on. Though she spends so much time on the road speaking that she's not really representing anyone very effectively.

Posted by: TSG | Apr 12, 2011 11:46:05 PM

7. Bachmann, Trump, Huckabee, etc., can be counted on to deliver sound bytes that will get attention. Easy as it is to laugh at these azz clowns, we would be wise to keep them on our collective radar. I doubt I was alone in thinking that Schwarzenegger would never get enough votes for governor.

Posted by: mattgmd | Apr 13, 2011 4:00:15 AM

8. Pray all you want; you are still an idiot who will never be President!

Posted by: Jeffrey Dunivant | Apr 13, 2011 4:00:47 AM

9. My understanding of the US constitution is somewhat limited (I am a British lawyer) however I always worries me when politicians in democracies start to attack judges.

As I understand it your constitution is set up in such a way as to balance power and responsibility between the limbs of the state apparatus (a classic 18th century "perfect" constitution). Such a system works well enough when each part respects the others, my concern here is that this lady and her friends seem keen on upsetting the balance in her state.

I wonder if any of the american posters here ( who properly know how the system is designed to work) have any views on this subject - it seems ot me that the gay rights issue and its handling by the religeous right is forcing a quite major shift in your constitutional arrangements.

Posted by: arch | Apr 13, 2011 6:46:12 AM

10. Arch, the gay Americans in Iowa have no balls. They let it happen.

Us isn't like the UK where we think of ourselves as a whole country-they do stuff state by state. No gays from elsewhere have even contested what happened in Iowa nor care.

Very fascinating! Anthropologically!

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 13, 2011 6:59:19 AM

11. When people like her keep getting re-elected, it speaks volumes about her constituents and diminished mental capacity of the general population of her state that they can't rally to kick her ignorant ass to the curb.

Posted by: Rad | Apr 13, 2011 7:21:46 AM

12. Listening to ANYTHING Michele Bachmann says IS A HEALTH HAzard to one's Mental capacity.

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | Apr 13, 2011 8:09:37 AM

13. In that suit, she resembles Dolores Umbrage from Harry Potter. Umbrage was a hateful, self-righteous bureaucrat, too.

Posted by: steve | Apr 13, 2011 10:10:42 AM

14. News Flash Michelle, that voice in your head is NOT God talking to you...

Posted by: mytwocents | Apr 13, 2011 10:22:23 AM

15. michelle bachmann is palin lite,if you can imagine such a thing.she is the leader of the tea party (you know boston,mass) and doesn't even know in which colony the revolution began. and she has stated that our founding fathers fought hard to eliminate slavery.i live 6 blocks away from the relic of the house in which george washington kept slaves. slavery is something most of our founding fathers approved.

Posted by: john leddy | Apr 13, 2011 11:25:55 PM

16. I live in Michele Bachman's District and was an educator...We have a saying: 'Stearns County Syndrome'. Northern 'hillbillys' marrying their first cousins seemed to be the only explanation. In my area, 7 out of 8 state legislators are right-wing Republicans.
    Until I found out that Ms Bachman is actually a 'cheesehead'.

Posted by: chuck | Apr 14, 2011 12:12:08 PM