News | Transgender

BigGayDeal.com

Boy with Pink Toenails in J Crew Ad Sets Off Wingnut Alarms

Jcrew

A J Crew ad featuring fashion designer Jenna Lyons painting her son's toenails pink because it is his favorite color has wingnuts on full alert, according to FOX News:

“This is a dramatic example of the way that our culture is being encouraged to abandon all trappings of gender identity,” psychiatrist Dr. Keith Ablow wrote in a FoxNews.com Health column about the ad.

Media Research Center’s Erin Brown agreed, calling the ad “blatant propaganda celebrating transgendered children.” “Not only is Beckett likely to change his favorite color as early as tomorrow, Jenna's indulgence (or encouragement) could make life hard for the boy in the future,” Brown wrote in an opinion piece Friday.

"J.CREW, known for its tasteful and modest clothing, apparently does not mind exploiting Beckett behind the facade of liberal, transgendered identity politics.”

J Crew declined to comment.

(via the daily wh.at)

Comments

1. IF this boy does turn out to be transgendered, who do the wingnuts think is going to make his life difficult? THEY are! Anyway, what's wrong with abandoning or at least challenging traditional gender identity? They need to go back to school and learn about the roles that women played during WW2 when women were forced to abandon traditional gender roles and go to work in factories-Rosie the Riveter anyone? How about all the great male chefs out there? Cooking certainly isn't something associated with men in this country. These people really need to get a life and quit worrying about how a mother decides to raise her child.

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Apr 12, 2011 2:10:59 PM

2. Hmm, tough one. Parents DO influence how their child behaves. If this her only child and she doesn't have a girl, then I'd be suspect...just because I see it all the time with hippy obsessive mothers from north London who wanted a girl but got a boy and would rather die then have their boys be straight because they hang around gays all their time in their work. Loathing competition from another woman with their child.

But its just as bad as forcing a child to be all hung ho shooting and being religious just because you are.

Basically, the kids don't have a choice either way. Both groups are as bad as each other with indoctrination.

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 12, 2011 2:11:15 PM

3. I'm torn between "what the hell??" and "bravo J.Crew..." I'm still adjusting to this recent onslaught of "tranny(esque) children" coverage.

Posted by: Lew | Apr 12, 2011 2:13:07 PM

4. COLOR does NOT dictate your sex or sexuality. That is man made garbage. Bullshit outrage over at Fox like usual.

Posted by: Andrew | Apr 12, 2011 2:14:50 PM

5. Oh, piss off, it's just nail polish.

Posted by: Ajai | Apr 12, 2011 2:14:54 PM

6. These people in the wingnuttery-sphere REALLY need to get a life 'cause this "concern" is nutz!

Posted by: Rob | Apr 12, 2011 2:17:11 PM

7. If this were little girl lacing up to play baseball or watching the football game with her dad, no one would bat an eye. It's only when males are perceived to take on female roles that anyone gets unhinged.

PS- Colors are not inherently related to gender. WE assinged pink to mean female and blue to mean male. They're colors, for f*cks sake. Not mandates.

Posted by: Hells Kitchen | Apr 12, 2011 2:18:43 PM

8. As Grover said... Instead of worrying that this behaviour will make Beckett's life difficult in the future, stop being the people who will make his like difficult now or in the future and just let people be whoever they will be. The right wingers are the source of the difficulty.

Posted by: Critifur | Apr 12, 2011 2:20:22 PM

9. I love Hell's Kitchen's remarks. Everybody thinks it's so "cute" when little girls are "tomboys," but react with disgust when a little boy is attracted to playthings ordinarily used by girls. Just another example of the sickness. And these wingnuts who are hysterical about this--f'chrissake. It's freakin' NAILPOLISH. No kid would ever have issues with gender identity if there weren't so many haters ready to pounce like the idiots at Fox or MRC. GoodGOD why don't they have real lives?

And I absolutely love that JCrew declined to comment! That makes haters go nuts.

Posted by: Danny | Apr 12, 2011 2:25:19 PM

10. And now, of course, we know how a tough guy like Welsh Rugby player Gareth Thomas turned out queer: his mom painted his toenails.

I'm sure it's in the bible somewhere that you're not supposed to do that.

What is WRONG with these mad people??? What is Erin Brown's issue with transgender people?

Cryin' out loud.

Posted by: Danny | Apr 12, 2011 2:31:05 PM

11. my God, get the poker out of your ass !

It's kids' play.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 12, 2011 2:33:00 PM

12. Children will choose their own gender identity no matter what the parents do. Despite the fact that our children had two daddies, they knew what they wanted. We tried to be modern parents and made dolls available to our son and trucks available to our daughter. Our son ignored the dolls and our daughter ignored the trucks.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Apr 12, 2011 2:34:57 PM

13. "Wingnut" is right. How hard do you have to work at getting that crazy? As for the commenters here: Playing with your kid isn't forcing them to do anything. It's remaining responsive to their impulses, and refusing to sign on to the attitude that you gotta mold, mold, mold another human being all day long.

I mean, my mom let me paint my toenails all the time, and I turned out perfectly . . . ooops. Bad example :)

As for pink and blue being totally arbitrary signifiers of gender: Tell that to your vagina or your balls, as the case may be.

Posted by: coolbearinmd | Apr 12, 2011 2:40:21 PM

14. The wingnuts teach children that who they are is NOT okay, that they should twist themselves to meet insane expectations that do nothing more than spotlight fear as motivation. Feel sorry for any child in those homes.

The sad thing is that they don't educate themselves or their children but then have 19 of them - keeping the worlds 'stupid' quota way overpopped.

Posted by: Tonic | Apr 12, 2011 2:43:12 PM

15. @ ROWAN: most little kids are able to express their preferences that may or may not coincide with their parents'. I wouldn't worry about those North London mums, their kids will show them who they really are soon enough.

Brava(!) to the pictured mom for supporting her son's current favorite color.

Posted by: David R. | Apr 12, 2011 2:43:41 PM

16. Mike in the Tundra brings back to our consciousness the very important point that most of us gay folks were raised by straight people who had certain ideas about gender-role appropriate preferences and activities. But I was unusually fortunate in this regard: my mom was forever pestering my father to take me out in the back yard to play football. I always went along with it to humor him! But as soon as he realized I was bored, he'd ask, "Do you want to stop?" I always said yes. And we stopped. I wanted to play the piano--and they DID give me piano lessons. But my father always said to my mom, "Danny's just different." No value judgment, no anxiety, no BS; just that I was--different--which he obviously didn't think was a problem. And that proved still to be the case when I came out to him 15 years later. Consequently I've never been tortured by internalized homophobia or profoundly affected by environmental homophobia. Except (perhaps because I'm an Anglican Christian) when I hear the ignorant homophobic braying of christianist haters. I have one in my office sitting across the aisle from me at this moment. I cop to having a very hard time dealing with his savagery. There: I've said it.

Posted by: Danny | Apr 12, 2011 2:47:18 PM

17. If my mom made me gay by letting me wear her dresses why didn't she make my brother gay too? He wore her dresses too. Damn I was robbed!

Posted by: Frank | Apr 12, 2011 2:57:36 PM

18. I love how that "psychiatrist" phrased it as trappings of gender identity. He's right. It is a trap. There to hold you tied down...

Posted by: scudpipe | Apr 12, 2011 3:05:07 PM

19. Color does not have a gender identity. Color is neutral and impassive. It is we who have arbitrarily decided that specific colors identify particular genders, styles, etc. These are completely manmade designations. Tell the people to shut the fluck up.

Posted by: robert | Apr 12, 2011 3:10:11 PM

20. "How about all the great male chefs out there? Cooking certainly isn't something associated with men in this country."

I can't let this slide: professional kitchens have always been and are still today male-dominated and deeply unfriendly to women in the workplace. The cultural expectation is that women will cook at home as an indentured servant, not that they will earn a paycheck for practicing a trade.

Posted by: BABH | Apr 12, 2011 3:12:54 PM

21. Doncha understand, peeple? We gots to tell the young'uns that panks fur gurls and bloos fur boys. Udderwise thay grow up all confoosed an turn inta hairdresers an sh*t. Lordy, lordy, lordy.

[And yes, this is sarcasm.]

Posted by: MajorTom | Apr 12, 2011 3:13:53 PM

22. I'd object to seeing a Catholic priest painting the kid's toe nails. But, this image of a mom and son having fun is pretty sweet.

Posted by: Joe in CT | Apr 12, 2011 3:17:29 PM

23. By the way, it is not like people go around celebrating "tomboys." I don't know where you're living, but if girls aren't "girly," well, they're basically in for a world of trouble and people telling them they're messed up. One needn't even be a tomboy to get this gender policing! There's billion dollar industries devoted to making sure girls act like girls, just the same with boys.

Posted by: livingthedream@tomboy.com | Apr 12, 2011 3:23:42 PM

24. Painting toenails, dressing up, putting on different outfits and costumes...play acting... it's all just play, people. It doesn't mean anything except: FUN!

Too bad adults can open their minds and be as free to play and have fun as children are. This world would be a much better place.

My dad put a shotgun in my hands and took me hunting from 14 on, made me play football, wrestling (very confusing for a gay teen, as you might imagine) and other sports. Sorry, still turned out gay, Dad.

You can't enforce sexuality, what will be will be.

Posted by: johnny | Apr 12, 2011 3:32:17 PM

25. I knew I was gay at 13, yet did not paint my toe nails until I was 39, when I ran the Marathon in the 1998 Gay Games in Amsterdam. Team NY wore red, white and black. My friend Marty Mac and I painted our toe nails bright red to match.

I doubt the polish helped me in the race, as I only place 11th. When I ran in The Vancouver Gay Games in '94 I placed second, with no polish. Though the biker I picked up that week did shave my legs after the race like his were, a dare we made if I won a medal.

I guess my point being you don't turn gay if you paint your nails, are not straight or more butch if you do, don't do better at sports if you do and don't listen to assholes who tell you different.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Apr 12, 2011 3:49:49 PM