Evan Rachel Wood Says She’s Bisexual

Evan Rachel Wood, who you may have seen recently in HBO's Mildred Piercetells Esquire that she's bisexual:

EvanrachelwoodThis is the third such hint in the conversation, after that androgyny comment and saying she'd "marry" her Mildred Pierce costar Kate Winslet if she could.

You date women?

"Yes," she says proudly, as if she was waiting to be asked.

Do you look for different things in men than in women?

"Yeah, I'm more kind of like the guy when it comes to girls. I'm the dominant one." It's with women, she says, that her inner North Carolina gentleman comes out: "I'm opening the doors, I'm buying dinner. Yeah, I'm romantic."

Wood was previously engaged to Marilyn Manson. She's the second female star of True Blood (with Anna Paquin) to come out of the closet about her bisexuality.

Comments

1. Lysana says

Oh, sweet! Not only the coming out but identifying her correctly as bisexual. When will some of the men feel safe doing the same? Can it be soon, please?

2. kristian says

OMG I TOTALLY LOVE THIS GIRL, SHE IS ONE OF MY FAVORITES ACTRESSES RIGHT NOW AND ITS REALLY COOL THAT SHE SAID IT WITHOUT REALLY THINGKONK, NORMALLY WHEN SOMEONE COMES OUT ITS DIFFICULT, BUT SHE MAKES IT LOOK REALLY ESASY, AND I THINK SHE HAS A GREAT FUTURE…

3. brian says

I mean, the mere fact that she’s told Esquire magazine should send out warning bells. Esquire? Esquire magazine appeals to sleazy straight guys, the type who hate gay men.

Go away, Evan Rachel Wood. Oh, and have you noticed that these so-called bisexual women never seem to be dating women in public? Wake, up, towleroad – it’s a marketing ploy, one that is disrespectful to the GLBT community.

4. Hank says

Rock on! I always loved her ( that’s usually a sign they’re queer, btw.) “Thirteen” was one of the most brilliant performances of the last ten years by an actor of any age.

Yes, sometimes it does seem like every white girl under 30 is bi these days, but Evan still gets my vote, especially for talking about it in her usual ballsy way.

If I were a girl she could go southern gentleman on me any day.

5. brian says

Note how all these so-called bisexual females never seem to be dating women in public. I have a feeling that their agents encourage them to say “I’m bisexual” to the magazines that are run by moronic breeder males with a fetish for girl-girl action, such as Playboy, Esquire, Rolling Stone etc etc.

It’s important that we in the genuine GLBT community don’t fall for the notion that these female bisexuals are good for us. They aren’t. They are the product of homophobia. They are based on the notion that only female celebrities can say they’re bisexual. It’s a freedom that’s given only to females, not men.

As such, it’s not a genuine acceptance of bisexuality nor is it a genuine acceptance of those who suffer the greatest discrimination – ie male gays and male bisexuals.

6. Gregv says

Brian: Speak for yourself; the royal “we” is presumptuous. I’m more than happy to hear her speak openly about who she is and don’t indulge in your cynical conspiracy theories. I also don’t care what proportion of males to females she’s dated. A bisexual person can marry his high school sweetheart and stay monogamous, or can die a virgin, or can have sex with everybody in town; it’s all irrelevant.
    The more people become unafraid to acknowledge non-heterosexual orientations, the more society will understand and get over it’s prejudices and presumptions.

7. Rin says

As a female, it is “easy” for women to be affectionate with women and think this is bisexuality. We haven’t been raised with this macho/anti-femme/homophobic culture of little boys.

I could have lesbian sex with a girl. I could snuggle her, cuddle her, and “love” her, but do I sit up at night fantasizing about Kate Winslet or Megan Fox? No. I think about Chris Hemsworth as Thor or Kevin McKidd as Lucius Vorenus in the sack.

I think women who are not lesbians and say this stuff are selfish, pandering to what men think is sexy, and will only end up hurting a real lesbian (hello, Miz Heche) with their situational bisexual BS.

The same with Anna Paquin who we saw with no serious female relationship prior to her dating a string of men and then marrying one.

Sorry, I just have seen too many of my lesbian friends get hurt by chicks like this for it not to peeve me off.

8. Gregv says

“…but do I sit up fantasizing about Kate Winslet or Megan Fox? No. I think about [men]…

Well, then that just means YOU are heterosexual, Rin. YOU wouldn’t want to marry Kate Winslet because you’re not gay or bi and neither would I because I’mnot straight or bi, but Evan Rachel Wood says she WOULD want to.
    Not all bisexuals have hurt your friends’ feelings, and it’s no more reasonable to blame them as it would be to blame all white people if three in a row hurt your friends or for a man who’s been hurt by women to belittle you for just being one.

9. EM says

“Yet another fake female bisexual. Memo to these ladies: we’re sick of you, we don’t believe you are genuinely bisexual, and we feel that you are pandering to the sleazy straight guy fantasy for girl-girl action.”

Speak for yourself Brian. You sound so bitter.

It seems to me there is a far stronger campaign of those who immediately jump and shriek ‘fake bisexual women!’ than err, fake bisexual women. In fact, I read this piece, thought ‘good for Rachel’ and then straight away thought, ‘I bet someone jumps in and declares she is a fake bisexual’.

Why don’t you let Rachel speak for Rachel rather than deciding for her what she is?