Bullying | Ireland | News

Watch: Powerful Irish Anti-Bullying Campaign Encourages Teens to Stand Up for Their LGBT Friends

Bullying_irish

Check out this new, wonderfully-executed campaign from Ireland, created as part of BeLonG To Youth Services annual Stand Up! LGBT Awareness Weeks.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. @J, re why now: we've reached a tipping point, plain and simple. Every major social change has one (not one to shill for Malcolm Gladwell generally, but he seems to be right about this one).

Be careful not to make the good the enemy of the perfect; even if the execution is sometimes flawed, its pretty easy to distill who really does have a good heart from who is just being trendy.

Posted by: NaughtyLola | Apr 2, 2011 8:31:45 AM

2. Have you seen the marriage equality ad from Ireland.

Posted by: SteveC | Apr 2, 2011 8:33:25 AM

3. Well, isn't that sweet? Thanks Andy.

Posted by: evan | Apr 2, 2011 9:59:35 AM

4. HUGE TEARS!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Apr 2, 2011 11:30:44 AM

5. OUTSTANDING! Excellent.....LOVE IT !!

Posted by: Steve Lee | Apr 2, 2011 12:01:40 PM

6. But I'm confused...why is the focus of the bullying directed at one kid and not the other? They're boyfriends, no?

Posted by: RafiD'Angelo | Apr 2, 2011 12:13:56 PM

7. I was born in Ireland, I grew up there. That short video had me bursting into tears when I remembered thoughts of my childhood growing up in Dublin. I'll be back there on Monday next for a visit, and I'll be visiting a new country; struggling in many ways, but freeing itself from the shackles of the Catholic Church

Posted by: brent | Apr 2, 2011 12:33:31 PM

8. I'm going back to Ireland for a gay wedding in a week. The country has come a long way. I remember my 1st ever Gay Pride parade was in Dublin was in 1996. There were about 1,000 participants. When I went back last year there was 25,000. this video made me cry.

Posted by: SteveC | Apr 2, 2011 1:46:43 PM

9. Outstanding! If only kids would really do things like that for a gay classmate. Great video, thank you for producing it. The time for equality is long past due.

Posted by: Bruce Simpson | Apr 2, 2011 1:49:03 PM

10. Fabulous!

Posted by: Steve | Apr 2, 2011 2:50:41 PM

11. My impression is this video is designed to appeal to the hopes of homosexuals and bisexuals rather than reality. It appeals nicely to our professional 'Advocates', even cynically makes it appear like they're 'Doing' something effective, so keep sending in the $ or in Ireland's case Euros. It's nice written, directed, produced [painful to watch actually] but how truly realistic is it? How will real HS 'kids' view it? HS 'kids' circa 2011 not the HS 'kids' of the older adults who financed, etc., the video. Ultimately, video clips like this are the easiest thing in the world to create and even get airtime.

One more thing: I'll give them credit; Europeans excel at saying all the 'Correct' things, passing the 'Correct' laws, etc., This has much to do with political systems, and the influence often small, even tiny, political parties can have in a typical European nation where multiparty governments are common. Also, European nations are far more centralized politically, even socially, compared to the U.S., which is more diverse, far larger population-wise and geographically compared to European nations [minus Russia]. And European nations have more extensive middle class welfare systems and the average citizen will go along with things they may consider BS, as long as they get their benefits. Don't confuse official attitude and response with reality. Reality is the average Euro teen is no more gay-friendly, etc., than the average American. Same for the average adult.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 2, 2011 6:28:26 PM

12. Exactly as it should be.

Irish church leaders should hang their heads in shame for the hate they've taught--still try to teach.

Posted by: Danny | Apr 2, 2011 6:52:21 PM

13. @Danny,

Attitudes towards sex and sexuality go FAR BEYOND religious teachings. I'm Agnostic, but realize blaming everything [like a skipping dvd or cd] on religious dogma is a disservice and result in more pain and misunderstandings.

Of course, I understand drumming home 'Blame The Church' is an important 'Radical' talking-point that transcends gay issues.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 2, 2011 7:14:16 PM

14. Wondeful. I,too,broke down and cried.

Posted by: Michael | Apr 2, 2011 9:40:44 PM

15. I grew up in Ireland and live in NYC now. After I shared this video on my Facebook wall, one of my straight male high school friends posted that the son of a friend of his is the lead in the film, and they were all looking forward to seeing how it would turn out.

That is a new Ireland I love. And it's a reminder both how small and interconnected a country it is, and how much people do open up and change in even a short period of time. Bravo.

Posted by: Patrick M | Apr 3, 2011 2:34:07 AM

16. What a refreshing and beautiful video .....

Posted by: John | Apr 3, 2011 1:42:54 PM

17. @ratbastard ; i don't think it's meant to show things as they are but to encourage how things ought to be.
    And kids are getting the message.....we only need a few in every school to take a stand against the bullies.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 3, 2011 3:48:48 PM

18. Very powerful. Wow!

Posted by: adam | Apr 3, 2011 5:49:11 PM

19. "@ratbastard ; i don't think it's meant to show things as they are but to encourage how things ought to be."

Yes, exactly. It shows how people should be treated, not necessarily how they are treated. It's an aspirational video, and a very effective one (in my opinion).

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 3, 2011 7:57:54 PM

20. Wait.. I'm confused. Why is only one boy feeling ostracized..?

The kid in the red/black checkered jacket is gay as well and was standing up to the bullies for both himself and the main character in the beginning... but the main character ran away, leaving his friend alone with the bullies..?

Then, later, the main character feels ostracized but, in the Lunch Room, the kid in the checkered jacket is happily chatting with friends. He smiles to the main character from across the room... but doesn't wave him over or go talk to him..? People know, at least by now, that the two are gay and more than friends. They were just caught holding hands and about to kiss and that info would spread through school FAST. Yet, all seems fine with the checkered jacket boy.

Obviously the boys are still friends. Why aren't the checkered jacket boy and his friends hanging out with the main character..?
    Or why aren't both gay boys ostracized..?

The whole thing is just confusing.
    The end of the piece is good - but the story..? Not coherent, imo.

Posted by: lookyloo | Apr 3, 2011 9:43:14 PM

21. Between the abuse of the Catholic Church & the financial mismanagement of the Irish Goverment,Irish society is ready to collapse. Ireland is gonna need its gay & lesbian citizens to revive that broken country. This advert is calling for national survival, pure n simple.

Posted by: pat | Apr 4, 2011 2:49:46 AM

22. Great video. I sent it out on FB with a special note to my nieces and nephews.

Posted by: Tony | Apr 4, 2011 2:07:05 PM