Lady Gaga | Music | News

Details Spill on Lady Gaga's 'Judas' Single

2_reedus

MTV News spoke with Lady Gaga Choreographer Laurieann Gibson about the singer's upcoming Track "Judas" and its video:

Gagaleft "I will tell you now, first off, I'm Christian, and my career is evidence of God in my life, and I think that most people are already thinking that Gaga and the blasphemy and they're premeditating the approach and I think they'll be very shocked to find out how huge and really groundbreaking the message is and how freeing the message is for all the right reasons," she said. "And it's really going to shock the world."

The cast includes some big-name cameos as well, including Norman Reedus (above) as Judas. "He was so prolific," she declared of his performance, adding that the video is "badass" and that Gaga will play Mary Magdalene.

Popjustice describes the single as "brash and bombastic and funny and audacious and stupid in all the right ways," adding:

"Vocally Gaga's in completely new territory (in the verses and pre-chorus she hurls herself into a decadent half-sung, half-rapped Jamaican Patois style), the chorus is a thousand storeys high, there's a demented tribal techno breakdown, and the whole thing is a little bit overwhelming for all the right reasons. Importantly, as a turbo-charged electrogothic wrongness anthem 'Judas' sounds like a lot of fun - like Gaga had fun writing it and like RedOne had a lot of fun producing it."

Judas is scheduled to debut on April 19. No word on the video.

Also, Lady Gaga's egg is coming back before it gets made into a bed. More incubating to do, apparently...

Watch MTV's interview with Gibson, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Good grief, does the pending release of every Lady Gaga song have to include so much hyperbole?

Posted by: crispy | Apr 8, 2011 2:16:47 PM

2. Funny that even though she's so progressive and pseudo-no-bullshit she still has to pander to the christians in order to have a career.

Posted by: Steve | Apr 8, 2011 2:19:37 PM

3. Reedus is underrated and so sexy. Not surprised she chose him. (I don't think prolific means what Gaga thinks it means, however)

Posted by: Christopher | Apr 8, 2011 2:29:00 PM

4. @christopher, yeah, I looked up alternate definitions just in case. I don't see how someone's individual performance could be 'prolific'.

Posted by: valentine ghost | Apr 8, 2011 3:25:00 PM

5. @Christopher Lady GaGa didn't say his performance was prolific, Laurieann Gibson did.

Posted by: Thomas | Apr 8, 2011 3:41:52 PM

6. @Steve. Well, we haven't heard the song, but I'm assuming that she's taking another cue from her obvious idol, Madonna. It's probably a Like A Prayerish utilization of Christian imagery thing.

Posted by: Tranquilo | Apr 8, 2011 4:33:02 PM

7. And naturally people hate it before they even hear it. Some people, generally idiots, lack objectivity and the ability to think critically.

Posted by: Bingbo | Apr 8, 2011 4:51:01 PM

8. @Steve, I'm gonna guess you've been burned by religion; I have too. But we need to realize that there are many awesome, progressive religious folks out there!

Posted by: redball | Apr 8, 2011 5:08:59 PM

9. @redball, in which alternate universe would that be?

Posted by: ant | Apr 8, 2011 5:13:48 PM

10. I think this was to be expected from "Judas"

Posted by: Anonymous | Apr 8, 2011 5:14:56 PM

11. ...And if anything, we need to coalition with said awesome progressive religious folks because that's one way we can attain social justice and also perhaps also the weakening of oppressive institutions like the Vatican.

Posted by: redball | Apr 8, 2011 5:17:09 PM

12. @Ant, well i'm rusty but i did a master's thesis several years ago on black MSM and religiosity. i think there are progressive religious gays in orgs like Dignity who are very secure in their sexual identity but also close to their faith. and there are similar orgs in other religions and denominations from what i recall! So...draw your own conclusions. ;-) i think the message is clear that not all religious people are irrational hypocrites who need to be "pandered" to by a fierce progressive artist like Gaga.

Posted by: redball | Apr 8, 2011 5:32:35 PM

13. And, similarly, Gaga herself can be progressive *and* be religious or spiritual. They are not mutually exclusive categories although that is hard to believe if you judge by the religious idiots and nihilists who get 99.9% of the media attention.

Posted by: redball | Apr 8, 2011 5:39:29 PM

14. Cannot wait to see it! BUT...NO ONE IN THE BIBLE WAS WHITE...THEY WERE ALL DARK SKINNED PEOPLE!!! BE GREAT TO SEE REAL CASTING IN THE ARENA SOMETIME...

Posted by: shannon | Apr 8, 2011 6:01:09 PM

15. LOL Shannon...you made me think of the black Jesus/saint character in Madonna's "Like a Prayer." Looks like "Judas" may touch on themes similar to those in "Like a Prayer." I'm so looking forward to it! I agree that it would be cool if Gaga put some brown people in there as religious characters (given your point, which I think has a good deal of truth to it!)...maybe she will, but I'm not holding my breath.

Posted by: redball | Apr 8, 2011 7:29:53 PM

16. In defense of Laurieann Gibson's "prolific" (LOL):

I thought it was an odd word choice too but, lo and behold, here is probably the least-used meaning of "prolific" (from m-w.com):

"marked by abundant inventiveness or productivity"

I could definitely see someone's acting chops being described as "inventive" or creative.

So: 1) Is Laurieann a well-spoken vocabulary maven or

2) did she make a lil mistake that, fortunately, can be finagled post-hoc or

3) am I a vocabulary geek who has too much time on his hands on a Friday night?

Don't answer that. :) I think I already know...!

Posted by: redball | Apr 8, 2011 8:24:55 PM

17. I like Lady Gaga, scratch that, love, but Laurieann Gibson comes off trying waaay to hard and too enthusiastic in that vid.

Also, I don't think she's pandering to religious folk. She's a catholic and probably doesn't want the vid to be seen as disrespecting the religion. Anyways, the last time she did a religious theme in Alejandro, it was a hit, so let's hope this will be as good.

Posted by: Bryan | Apr 13, 2011 2:57:34 PM