Gay Slurs | Kobe Bryant

Kobe Bryant Says He Used To Beat Up Kids Who Teased His Gay Friends

6a00d8341c730253ef014e60e73c2b970c-800wi
ESPN’s Lisa Salters spoke to Kobe Bryant about his "fag" slur from last week. Bryant insisted that he's not anti-gay and claims that he used to beat up kids in high school who would tease his gay friends. Or so he told Salters:

"Even though I didn't mean it that way, I've since learned what that word still means to a lot of people. I went on-line myself and I did my own research and I saw and I read about kids who were committing suicide because of being teased for who they are. I don't play that. I used to beat up a lot of kids even in high school who used to tease my friends because they were gay, or because they were black, or because they were Jewish, or because they were yellow, or because they were whatever. For people who don't think my apology is sincere, they don't know me. This isn't over for me. I really plan to do more. What I said was ignorant and I really didn't realize what I was saying. Now that I do and realize how it affects people I really plan to do more and to help with the awareness."

Dan Fogarty of Dan Abrams' website Sports Grid expresses his doubts on the story: "Sorry Kobe, but this is tough to see. Although his multicultural upbringing is well documented, Kobe sounds like he’s stretching it a bit when he insists that he was some sort of high school protector of the ostracized. I mean, maybe I’m wrong. Maybe he did beat up a few kids in high school who teased his friends. And picturing Kobe sitting in front of a computer, doing his own research on bullied gay teens, is kind of a touching mental image. But that’s easier to picture than Kobe Bryant, schoolyard avenger."

Listen to Salters talk about her conversation with Bryant, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Let me see if I understand this... it's okay to accept the single apology from Marinelli, despite everything he's actually done, but we need to rake Kobe Bryant over the coals for not apologizing enough for one thing he's said...

Is that about right?

Posted by: taodon | Apr 18, 2011 7:18:09 AM

2. Taddon.... Once Kobe issues a real apology that doesn't contain the disclaimer that he didn't mean what he said and the listeners misunderstood him, then I'll be fine. But so far, he just keeps blaming those who were offended for misinterpreting his remark.

Posted by: Tim NC | Apr 18, 2011 7:25:52 AM

3. Tim NC, Maranelli NEVER apologized. And he said he still did not believe in the gay lifestyle.

Kobe said a word that people use ALL the time to call anything that isn't working. It isn't happen when I was at school but I hear it a lot more. The only way that will ever change is if people stop seeing 'gay' as bad, wimpy, pathetic or odd.

@Tom your hag called you a 'fag' which says it all why she is a fag hag. Fag hag are clinging, needy girls who know they can't get all that worship they need from men so they leech it off gay men who are so desperate for approval, that tey will take anything.

I doubt your hag gives two shits about true gay persecution, more like her best buddy in the world is gay and she like pride cause she can wear butterfly wings or something.

Urgh.

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 18, 2011 7:34:42 AM

4. I think you should know about the conversations this has started; real, frank, and positive conversations; in the sports community.

I have to have ESPN on all the time at my place of work, and what they're saying on there, BECAUSE of this incident, has been downright empowering.

So, you may not be satisfied with the way that Bryant is apologizing, and I can somewhat see that, but I don't think it's fair to imply that his apologies haven't produced positive results.

Posted by: taodon | Apr 18, 2011 7:38:19 AM

5. Isn't he wonderful!

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 18, 2011 9:13:18 AM

6. I understand perfectly. Some of my best friends are negroes.

Posted by: Bryan | Apr 18, 2011 10:45:24 AM

7. Bryan & others,

Kobe's apology shouldn't be meant for all Gay people. There are many Gays who don't like Black people, and who verbalize it. Why should they be apologized to?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 18, 2011 11:29:56 AM

8. Good for Kobe! He's messed up, he's done his own research to see how harmful the word can be, which is a lot mor ethan I can say for people who just get writers to write an apology and read it off a piece of paper. And, on top of that, he plans to do more. And when he does, let's hope all the doubters will take notice.

GO LAKERS!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Apr 18, 2011 2:55:33 PM

9. This "apology" is more proof of his ignorance and immaturity. Yeah Kobe, it really makes me feel swell to know that you met ignorance with violence, so in a way you paid for the right to use that word. Just like you paid to keep that chick's mouth shut and paid for your wife's forgiveness. Must have taken up most of your day being the school avenger considering the amount of superficial ignorance at the average high school.

The NBA, college basketball and society in general foster a lot of self entitlement for athletes. Why should we be surprised they act like this with most of the nation throwing gobs of money at them and holding them on a pedestal as "heroes."

Posted by: Toto | Apr 18, 2011 9:07:05 PM

10. Why are we condoning someone for “beating up” someone else, even a bully? This just perpetuates a culture of violence against people with whom you disagree. Is this Kobe Bryant’s trying to signal that he’s masculine and heterosexual since he is defending (with his fists) gays? This is the wrong message from the wrong person at the wrong time. Violence is not the answer to violence.

Posted by: Jeff Atwood | Apr 19, 2011 2:53:09 PM