Basketball | Gay Slurs | GLAAD | Kobe Bryant | News

BigGayDeal.com

Kobe Bryant Statement on 'Fag' Slur: 'I Didn't Mean to Offend Anyone'

Kobe

The L.A. Lakers spoke with GLAAD this morning and released a statement from Kobe Bryant regarding the anti-gay slur captured on camera during his game last night.

Said Bryant:

“What I said last night should not be taken literally. My actions were out of frustration during the heat of the game, period. The words expressed do NOT reflect my feelings towards the gay and lesbian communities and were NOT meant to offend anyone.”

Bryant's slur is under review by the NBA.

Previously...
Watch: Kobe Bryant Calls Ref a 'F**king Fag' After Technical Foul [tr]

Comments

1. Well, as an African-American Gay male, I am offended by both.

Posted by: Verdon Coleman | Apr 13, 2011 4:41:18 PM

2. It would seem that when straight black people use the "F" word (fa**ot), it gives GAY WHITE MEN free reign to say the "N" word (Ni**er).

It shouldn't. It's nasty. It's unbelievably insensitive. And, if you’re gay and black, you get violated from both sides, and it sucks. So please think before you knee jerk into saying something that hurts innocent people. This means you, KILE OZIER.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Apr 13, 2011 4:59:35 PM

3. @Rick

Harbaugh's case was a little different though; it was less clear what he actually said.

No way could Kobe Bryant have denied that, so Harbaugh's apology (actually, it's a denial) was not applicable to Bryant's case

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Apr 13, 2011 5:04:44 PM

4. Another double standard, and yes I will use the N word just because one man said fag...enough is enough!!

Posted by: HA! | Apr 13, 2011 5:22:38 PM

5. You guys are funny. You are intolerant because someone else is intolerant of your crimes against the word of God? Fags

Posted by: Andrew | Apr 13, 2011 5:26:36 PM

6. what kobe actually meant to say is i'm sorry anybody but the ref heard me use the f word. it is way past time where people stop making excuses for people who find it easy to call somebody a fag as a slur word. the n word is no longer tolerated why should the f word. it actually amounts to the same thing. they are both used in a demeaning way and both meant to hurt. kobe is just an overpaid thug running around in boxers and muscle tee getting too much money.

Posted by: walter | Apr 13, 2011 5:33:02 PM

7. I'll just say it-Kobe is a stupid, moronic, n-er. But I don't mean anything offensive by it at all.

Posted by: vwdavy | Apr 13, 2011 5:34:54 PM

8. Re: Arty's comments.
    First off, this is a comments page, where people can air their frustrations with stupidity, usually. By saying "I'm sorry" one takes the focus off of the victim and places it back on oneself, thereby making it a non-apology.
    He needs to pay a huge fine, then work hard by volunteering to make amends, not just some stupid, childlike phrase.
    Secondly, you are somewhat correct: two wrongs do not make a right. Pedantics aside, the example that people were writing was to do just that, make an example. It is never proper to use words against others, but worse to pontificate thusly.
    Since I'm treading the line thinly, it's time to go.

Posted by: vwdavy | Apr 13, 2011 5:41:25 PM

9. Sorry Arty - you ask people to rise above an obvious comparison - racial vs. Anti-gay slurs.

Both slurs are not acceptable but occur frequently. When, in the heat of the moment, you ucall someone "Fag" - it is meant to be cruel and used to demean.

I wouldn't personally use the N word to describe Kobe Bryant but if I were to hear someone else use the N word in the context of Kobe Bryant, I wouldn't object. Morally repugnant, yes, but he would be reaping what he sowed.

Posted by: Jonathan | Apr 13, 2011 5:47:44 PM

10. Who cares. I've used the F word as a pejorative many times, and I'm homosexual.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 13, 2011 6:01:11 PM

11. All I can say is, "Go Clippers!" Blake Griffin's hotter anyway.

Posted by: BobC562 | Apr 13, 2011 6:03:34 PM

12. Who cares. I'm gay and used the F word as a pejorative many times.

Posted by: pretty rat boy | Apr 13, 2011 6:05:28 PM

13. I heard some of Kobe's comments on a radio show today and he does seem conciliatory and apologetic. "I didn't mean to offend anyone" does sound like a cop-out, but he's done more to apologize today.

I just hope it continues. Kobe marching in a gay pride parade would be awesome.

Posted by: JFE | Apr 13, 2011 6:58:00 PM

14. He should have never apologized, white gay people use the n-word all the time - just look at this comment section.

Posted by: MickW | Apr 13, 2011 7:22:18 PM

15. Several things are interesting. One, that by finding their commenting behavior indefensible I've been taken by some to be a Kobe apologist. I'm not. I just saw he was fined $100,000. Awesome. What he did was terrible and fine-worthy.

Second, and this part will be trickier: the n-word and the f-word are recognizable as hate speech, yes. The can both be (when said by the wrong people, at the wrong times), brutal hate-speech intending to terrify, demoralize, and insult. This is technically what allows some to say, "oh, so he said the f-word, well, then he's an n-word". (Though much of my original post was about why this reflex is there in the first place. And also, I'm wondering why it is that all it takes one basketball player's misbehavior to bring out of supposedly left-leaning (I'm guessing, this is a left-interested blog) people hate speech that has become a marker of reprehensibility for about the last two decades. But anyway...) However, for all of this they are not, I would argue, commensurable terms of hate. While each is reducible to recognizable hate-speech they can't be collapsed onto each other; saying one as vengeance for the other is non-sensical for this reason. (As the slave trade and the holocaust are recognizable acts of genocide but incommensurable in their brutality. What would it even mean to argue that one was "worse" than the other? What would be the purpose of such a question?) Said another way, you can have that knee-jerk reaction but recognizing, even briefly, the history of the n-word should be enough to give pause, regardless of its so-called trivialization in certain very-specific social settings.

In conclusion the response to homophobia is not racism. And as obvious as that would appear to be, let's look at the first comment:

"I feel better when I picture the "big one" coming in the middle of a Lakers game, and the entire Staples Center collapses into the earth. Would also solve LA's gang problems"

So, unless the author is implying a causality between basketball viewers/players and crime, we're led to conclude that he assumes that there is some correlation between the kinds of people who attend/play basketball and the people who commit crimes in Los Angeles. What could that factor be?...

Also, I don't think I need to cite the number of people who then either used the n-word in any of its asterisked forms or who said they wouldn't mind if other people did.

Finally, as to those who said that, well it was bad to use hate-speech, but it worse to pontificate, I wonder how much the NBA will be fining me for this post.

Posted by: Arty | Apr 13, 2011 7:52:06 PM

16. Sorry to have "misconscrewed" your comment-in-the-heat-of-the-moment, Kobe. Yeah right!

Posted by: adam | Apr 13, 2011 11:03:01 PM

17. See....this is where you have got it all wrong. While it may suck that Kobe chose to call the ref the f word he did not use the term BECAUSE the ref is gay. He used it because he thought the ref was being an a-hole.

But when a white person calls a black person the n word -- they are doing expressly and precisely because that black person is black!!!

Believe me, it's happened to me MANY times.

So your comparison --and totally unoriginal -- might SOUND good, it actually has no merit whatsoever.

These are NOT comparable issues

The Gay Community at times can be so hypocritical!

Posted by: Chris DaChocolatebearcub | Apr 14, 2011 1:45:24 AM

18. interesting how, even on this page, it's ok to use the "f-word" but not to use the "n-word"....

Posted by: r | Apr 14, 2011 4:17:44 AM

19. Who cares what a rapist thinks anyway? This skag should be in jail.

Posted by: Stipefan | Apr 14, 2011 6:09:33 AM

20. His original comment was offensive which is what he intended it to be. His apology was stupid, disingenuous and a result of nothing more than having been caught making the original statement. Time to stop "forgiving" people for making these slurs and start holding them responsible (good on you NBA). We can't stop what happens in private but when these things happen in public action needs to be taken to make sure people are held accountable.

Posted by: Tyron | Apr 14, 2011 8:19:58 AM

21. No, R,

you can use the "n" word all you want. Your kind has done it for decades. But I've got an arsenal of anti-white (anti-white ethnic and anti-white Gay) slurs to hurl back at you. Let the competition in American (both Black and White) ignorance continue. Based on an amateur study of American history and the backgrounds of the different ethnic/racial groups who've come here--I'm always ready.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 14, 2011 8:42:46 AM

22. I forgive him. I hope he thinks about the damage these slurs do before uttering it even inside hisnown head again.

Posted by: Jeff | Apr 14, 2011 9:30:20 AM

23. The POINT...is that both these words are unacceptable; as are pretty much all such slurs.

The use of one neither excuses nor opens the door for retributive use of another. While the "heat of the moment" may be a reason for one's slipping and revealing the subcutaneous prejudice or phobia with such a slur, it in no way excuses the thought, word or act...it simply exposes existence of that prejudice...and hate.

Personally, I have no patience with the apologists who excuse the slur under discussion for any reason; nor do I accept the arguments for using slurs in retaliation for what took place in that arena.

I do, though, fully support the method of substituting analogous hate speech in place of "fag" to illustrate the inflammatory, hurtful, despicable negativity of that word..."k***," "w**," "s***," "N*****" (I use these asterisks in order to avoid being "filtered"), none of these scores of words are acceptable for use in any situation.

If Black guys want to use that word, amongst themselves, for whatever reason; that's entirely up to them...it's theirs and only theirs to use. Ditto for "f**" and "f*****" among gay men, when giving one another a hard time. It is equally unacceptable, however, for a non-gay person to use such terms in any context; just as it is unacceptable for a non-white to use the term in question.

This is what I'd attempted to illustrate with my previous posting; a point that is evidently too nuanced and subtle to be appreciated by the hate-mail writers who've communicated with me, since.

Hate speech is hate speech, and none of it makes the world any better.

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Apr 14, 2011 9:46:11 AM

24. Didn't mean to offend anyone? So that remark was a compliment to the ref?

Hey Kobe, kiss this.

Posted by: wimsy | Apr 14, 2011 11:48:20 AM

25. [...]The words expressed do NOT reflect my feelings towards the gay and lesbian communities and were NOT meant to offend anyone.[...]

Posted by: Wholesale wigs | Apr 14, 2011 12:27:58 PM