Basketball | Kobe Bryant | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

NBA Commissioner Fines Kobe Bryant $100,000 for Anti-Gay Slur

Kobe

NBA Commissioner David Stern issued the following statement this afternoon:

“Kobe Bryant’s comment during last night’s game was offensive and inexcusable. While I’m fully aware that basketball is an emotional game, such a distasteful term should never be tolerated. Accordingly, I have fined Kobe $100,000. Kobe and everyone associated with the NBA know that insensitive or derogatory comments are not acceptable and have no place in our game or society.”

Previously...
Kobe Bryant Statement on 'Fag' Slur: 'I Didn't Mean to Offend Anyone' [tr]
Watch: Kobe Bryant Calls Ref a 'F**king Fag' After Technical Foul [tr]

Comments

1. seems you can take the boy out of the hood.. but you cant take the hood out of the boy ....

Least he be reminded that he is a famous adulterer and publicly humiliated his wife with the scandal.

Posted by: MarkBoston | Apr 14, 2011 2:48:22 AM

2. Kobe Bryant is just a thug in a cocktail dress.

Posted by: star | Apr 14, 2011 2:56:48 AM

3. Wow, within a few days this gets taken care of. As someone up said, this is definitely PROGRESS.

I was upset that Kobe said his intention was not to hurt anyone, I hope he has learned his lesson that every time he says something like that it does hurt and insult someone the same way if someone said the N word.

I hope this incident helps America realize that using the F word is NEVER acceptable, either in front of the camera or in your own mind.

Posted by: FunMe | Apr 14, 2011 4:01:18 AM

4. @ mark Boston, STAR etc

He was bought up in a middle class home. Went to a very prestigious prep school.

So what IS a thug? In the US of A? A black man? A black man who lives in the ghetto? A violent black man who is in a gang? An uneducated black man? A mean black man?

I guess that the person needs to be black to be at least black but I wonder if there are any other prerequisites?

@Mel smith

I understood what you were trying to say it but worded it to sweepingly and lazy.

People are not that intelligent on these blogs. Furthermore, it's a very white gay blog and again they are quite thick-uncultured, so unless you are talking about white american history, people will think you may as well be talking an ancient language from medieval France.

But the sad thing is that the Arabs of today and the Blacks are today don't even know there history. Islam now, is not Islam whilst persopolis the first greatest city in the world-that accepted Jews-was being built. Burnt down by Alexander the great Mr barbarian.

Same with Africa. You know the Christians have gotten Nigerians to try and burn remains of the first humans because it does not go in line with creationism? The British history museum had to step in.

It's like they always go to the extreme. Dude, you knew christianinity for like what? It's ridiculous.

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 14, 2011 6:16:23 AM

5. I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

Posted by: Amalfi Coast Rentals | Apr 14, 2011 6:58:09 AM

6. I never liked Kobe since his cheating accident, as well as 'rape' one. And i think this fee is not big enough for the slur he made.

Posted by: memorials for loved ones | Apr 14, 2011 8:07:44 AM

7. This is truly progress. But more important than the fine announced is the outcome of the appeal. Will the NBA accept Kobe's basic argument, that the NBA overreacted in fining him $100k? That using such language isn't really that big a deal?
    It would seem to me that a person with Kobe's past should have a better grasp of the English language, and would avoid cheap common slurs.

@Rowan I've never noticed a racial bias here, except in comments such as yours. If you used the phrase 'racial american history' rather than 'white american history', your criticism would be self-applicable. You are a person, too.

Posted by: Go Galt. Please. | Apr 14, 2011 8:35:26 AM

8. @MarkBoston

Actually, Kobe Bryant was raised in Italy.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Apr 14, 2011 9:36:50 AM

9. I HEARD HE'S APPEALING THE FINE !!!! IS THIS TRUE ????????
    IF SO, HE'S A HYPOCRITE. 100K TO HIM IS 2 BUCKS TO MOST.

Posted by: anthony | Apr 14, 2011 11:12:00 AM

10. "@Rowan I've never noticed a racial bias here, except in comments such as yours"

Is that a Palin or Bachman observation? Either one.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 14, 2011 11:17:31 AM

11. @ Go Galt. Please.

You didn't just say this after more then 4 commenters before me just said the n word or called this man a thug when he grew up wealthy...

Truly?

Wow. I guess I AM the one race baiting. I should just keep quite and shut my mouth like a good 'boy'.

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 14, 2011 11:29:55 AM

12. @MarkBoston

Feeling sorry for Vanessa Bryant? After Kobe paid her of with that $4 MILLION diamond ring?

Guess we know what that "public humiliation" was worth to her.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Apr 14, 2011 11:42:00 AM

13. @Mel Smith I don't think your premise is entirely accurate (i.e. that Europeans "taught" Africans to be homophobes), but let's say, for the sake of argument that it were entirely the case. Colonialism did not last that long and it has been over for a half-century. If you are correct, then why have Africans not thrown off those European ideas and re-claimed their heritage of non-homophobia? Are you suggesting that they have so little ability to make their own decisions or guide their own culture that they are incapable of doing anything other than imitating Europeans? And if THAT were the case, then why are they not following the lead of Europeans now in eradicating homophobia, instead trying to insist on its continuation, even as modernization ensues in other areas?

Likewise, are you suggesting that some African-Americans are so incapable of forming their own opinions that they cannot cast off the legacy of slavery in the form of Fundamentalist "Christianity" that was foisted on them by slaveowners? I mean slavery has been gone for 150 years and segregation, even, ended 50 years ago......the point being that the time has long passed since black folks had to adhere to this religion and the homophobia that it spawns.....but so many of them still do....

You see, I am afraid that what you want to do is absolve all African-Americans, whether as a group or as individuals, from any responsibility for their ongoing homophobia by, (surprise, surprise) blaming it all on the white man.

In so doing, it seems to me that you are insulting the intelligence of your own race.

I do not and would never make excuses for the homophobia of anyone who is white, not in 2011--and I think any educated person who still is a homophobe should be held fully accountable for it. And I will apply those same standards to black people, including Kobe. I guess I cannot understand why you or anyone else would not do the same..

Posted by: Rick | Apr 14, 2011 11:58:22 AM

14. [...]NBA Commissioner Fines Kobe Bryant $100,000 for Anti-Gay Slur[...]

Posted by: glueless lace wigs | Apr 14, 2011 12:19:35 PM

15. I leave the discussion of what words people choose to discuss the Public Persona that is Kobe Bryant(tm) to the highly trained professionals Kobe and the NBA have hired to groom and cultivate that persona. For all I know, they're trolling blogs and obscuring issues by filling the comments with nasty racial epithets.
    I raised the issue with you that disassociating yourself from this society by portraying the generic term 'people' in terms of racially-insensitive inferior others indicates a certain sense of racial separation and superiority on your part. That's what I meant by bias. A deep-seated assumption that detracts from your ability to be objective.

Posted by: Go Galt. Please. | Apr 14, 2011 1:42:37 PM

16. Rick, it is way more complicated than how you would have it.

You said: "the point being that the time has long passed since black folks had to adhere to this religion and the homophobia that it spawns.....but so many of them still do"

There is a lot of scholarly research out there about how the black church has historically been a safe haven, a refuge from the evils and uncertainties of life, starting back in an overtly racist, slave-owning country, all the way down to the continued hardships, economic oppression, and, yes, racism still faced by the black community today. The strength that a large segment of the US black population derive from their church is not something that can be foisted off at the drop of the time. In fact, scholars tend to view it as an ADAPTATION that promoted and still promotes survival of the black community. If anyone here watched any of that "Race in America" series on CNN, you would have seen some very interesting riffs on this theme: a smart kid who needed help making college affordable actually had doors opened for him when his reverend helped him make contacts at universities, another family struggling with unemployment and on the verge of bankruptcy got financial planning advice through networks in their church.

Please be careful of oversimplifying extremely nuanced, complex dynamics of class, race, oppression, religiosity.

I'm sure that similar things could be said about the African situation...especially considering that in poverty, sometimes religion is the one thing you can count on (so religion may not be going anywhere soon in much of Africa). In many African societies, the indigenous faith systems were so decimated that many people no longer recognize them as valid. Europeans MADE A POINT of denigrating local belief systems as barbaric, heathenist, etc. These belief systems quickly fell out of favor. Thus, many Africans today use the imported faith systems forced upon them by Europeans.

Have you heard of "erasure"? The eradication of local cultures and customs by brute force, tyranny of outside oppressors (usually WHITE in world history, if we are talking about cross-continental oppression).

You said: "Colonialism did not last that long." Please consult a book--or at least Wikipedia. Colonialism lasted for 450 years.

Posted by: redball | Apr 14, 2011 2:52:41 PM

17. What a loser Kobe continues to be. He really needs to control his anger on the basketball court, his continued complaining and arguing with the refs on every call made against him or his team is beginning to be turn off as a fan. For every call made against Kobe, he nor his team in his mind ever commits a foul. And he knew for consistently bursting out in anger, so yes he should pay the 100,000 penalty. There should be an appeal process for his nasty words.

Posted by: Atlanta Roofing | Apr 15, 2011 1:52:15 AM