Basketball | Gay Slurs | Kobe Bryant | News

Watch: Kobe Bryant Calls Ref a 'F**king Fag' After Technical Foul

Kobe

Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant was seen calling referee Bennie Adams a "f**king fag" during Tuesday night's game after he was handed his fourth foul.

Watch (at about :30 in), AFTER THE JUMP..

UPDATE. HRC via TMZ: "What a disgrace for Kobe Bryant to use such horribly offensive and distasteful language, especially when millions of people are watching. Hopefully Mr. Bryant will recognize that as a person with such fame and influence, the use of such language not only offends millions of LGBT [lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender] people around the world, but also perpetuates a culture of discrimination and hate that all of us, most notably Mr. Bryant, should be working to eradicate."

(via last angry fan)

Comments

1. I'm not conflicted, Ian. I think what he did is wrong and unacceptable, but I think saying something racist/homophobic/sexist etc. out of anger in the heat of the moment because you're frustrated, stressed or not in your right mind is DIFFERENT than saying something racist/homophobic/sexist because that is your default state of mind. I never defended his slur, as I said originally, I don't defend him, I think what he did was wrong, I just said I'm not going to go out of my way to crucify him knowing the context it happened in. I expect an apology, and if he's contrite and he learns from this, and why this is unacceptable. Hopefully this incident can create more discussion on the matter of slurs used in sports, specifically anti-gay slurs.

Posted by: Francis | Apr 13, 2011 10:20:51 AM

2. While I'm flattered you follow my comments Crispy, I think you're only just READING posts about black men, which is irrelevant to this post anyway. He made a bigoted slur, and I was criticizing those who would apologize for it. Now carry on with being a dick. It appears to be the only thing you're good at.

Posted by: gaylib | Apr 13, 2011 10:22:22 AM

3. Plain and simple, the remark was uncalled for, derogatory, hateful and not acceptable in today's society. Period.

Just replace his words with any other ugly minority slur and he would be called to task easily. Why are we gays the last minority that it is OK and acceptable to freely use hate speech, use as easy comedy in movies and deny civil rights. We have a long, long road to acceptance ahead. We can't afford to be casual.

Posted by: Max F. Grump | Apr 13, 2011 10:22:31 AM

4. The whole "people can't control their language when they are mad" meme is inane.

Posted by: Mrs. Sippi | Apr 13, 2011 10:24:32 AM

5. I have an artist friend who did a series of paintings of Kobe on the basketball court, naked, with a big boner. They're pretty good.

That said, he is a "professional" athlete, it's the middle of a game,
    testosterone is flowing, a game is at stake, and millions of people
    are watching him revert to school yard bunghole. The people watching will be offended, not notice, or take it as a cool thing to do. Sure, Kobe, you can blow off steam like everybody else, but
    being a high profile dude, you should think about the power of words to hurt or to help, and go from there. Next time I hear/see you do a public service announcement or whatever, in my mind your words will end in F@#$%6& Faggot. I grew up in a racist state and a community where it was okay to use the "n" word, the headquarters of the KKK were a few miles from my house. I'm white. I fought against the prevailing winds of my community and never used the word, and it was a conscious decision. I did not contribute to the fray. In return, I was branded a "n****r lover". I didn't change my mind about it though. This was 40 years ago. Kobe, you need to take a lesson from me, a learned fag: words have power, and you can use that power for the benefit of yourself and others, or you can use it to keep people down, and yourself ignorant.

Posted by: kodiak | Apr 13, 2011 10:25:25 AM

6. Will do, Glib. Keep being racist!

Posted by: crispy | Apr 13, 2011 10:27:50 AM

7. I would ask Francis a different question. If the player in question had been white, would he have reacted the same way? It seems to me that some progressives use a double standard when the perpetrator of homophobia is a person of color or a woman than if it is a white male. The former are often let off the hook, when the latter never would be. And I think that is what drove Francis's reaction.

Some people have become so paranoid of criticizing any individual who belongs to a racial minority, especially African-Americans, for any reason at all, that they will avoid it at all costs and jump on others who do so, regardless of the merits of the criticism.

Some African-Americans will also, relatedly, defend someone who is black against criticism from whites, regardless of the merits of the criticism, perhaps assuming racism as a motive even when it is not a motive, at all.....the confrontation between animal rights activists and black community leaders over Michael Vick's reinstatement to the NFL being a good sports-related example of that.

And that is really not acceptable.

I think THAT is what is going on with those who tried to poo-poo this incident as unimportant rather than them having internalized homophobia.

It would be interesting to know whether Francis and JC are, themselves, black.....or just knee-jerk whites.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 13, 2011 10:36:07 AM

8. He's a piece of lying trash - what else is new? It just proves you don't have to be a decent human being if you can put a ball in a hoop better than most others. The fact that they have immortalized him at Graumann's Theater among real stars is shocking though even for LA.

Posted by: frank | Apr 13, 2011 10:48:20 AM

9. Um, no, Rick. I'm not remotely the type of person who judges someone based on race. In fact, I hate the fact so many make everything race related. This incident has nothing to do with race and there is no reason to turn it into a racial argument. Lastly, I not once said this is unimportant or OK. I said from the beginning that his usage of language is wrong, and not defensible. Actually, now that everyone has explained it and made their comments I understand why there is a strong reaction against this and I feel stronger about it than I did previous. With that said, I still think that the usage of words like this in this context is done out of stupidity and a lack of awareness and maturity more than out of pure hate.

Posted by: Francis | Apr 13, 2011 10:49:16 AM

10. Rick, sweetie, an Imodium will clear up that keyboard diarrhea. Maybe take 2.

Posted by: crispy | Apr 13, 2011 10:50:55 AM

11. @Crispy I should have included you, as well as JC and Francis. Your hyper-sensitivity to race in this instance suggests that you are exactly one of the types of people I am talking about.

As for your response, Francis, I take it at face value. Perhaps the race of the individual engaging in homophobic behavior or speech does not influence your reaction to them, but one would have to be incredibly naive to think that it does not influence the reaction of many....

I remember white feminists being outraged at the sight of black women cheering and celebrating when OJ was acquitted after murdering a woman that he had battered and abused--they simply could not grasp why they were siding with a wife-beater, apparently for no other reason than that he was of the same race as them......and I don't doubt that there are black, gay men (and some racial-guilt-ridden white gay men) who would defend Kobe in a situation like this for exactly the same reason

Posted by: Rick | Apr 13, 2011 11:02:48 AM

12. Well maybe Kobe can donate a $4 million diamond ring to GLAAD for his sins here.

But seriously, guys, there wasn't this much conversation about race when former Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh said the same thing

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Apr 13, 2011 11:07:37 AM

13. Rick, Rick, Rick. I highly encourage you to go back to your job folding shirts at the Gap and give up the armchair psychology. It's not working for ya, hon.

Posted by: crispy | Apr 13, 2011 11:11:30 AM

14. While I do not care for Kobe, I find it mildly humorous that you all have decided that he is a 'rapist.'

That case was anything but substantiated as true.

And I guess those Duke players that were accused of rape are 'rapists', too?

People say stupid things while they are angry.
    He shouldn't have said it, but I seriously doubt Kobe 'hates gay people.'

Posted by: Mark | Apr 13, 2011 11:12:14 AM

15. He didn't rape the little white girl either. She wanted it.

Posted by: bill | Apr 13, 2011 11:12:37 AM

16. @Chitown Kev Perhaps that's because the charge against Harbaugh was unsubstantiated.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 13, 2011 11:14:33 AM

17. Dear Kobe:

I'd rather be a f*ckin fag than a f*ckin, convicted rapist or a f*ckin punk-ass momma's boy.

Posted by: jamal | Apr 13, 2011 11:14:45 AM

18. @Kev: And I couldn't help but notice that Gaylib didn't reprimand Jim Harbaugh on that post. Interesting.

Posted by: crispy | Apr 13, 2011 11:16:44 AM

19. jc here. i'm neither black or a knee jerk white. i'm gay,out, and partnered, and not looking to be offended at every slight that exists in the world. i'm well aware of the bullying, and of the hard work of people who have pushed our cause for us, black, white, straight and gay. i'm not defending him or anybody who uses slurs against anyone. this tread of comments illustrates the best and worst of the internet. ranting, name calling, conflating of non-issues. if this clip weren't posted here, none of us probably would have known it happened. his words aren't audible, and the announcers and the network took their camera elsewhere. the internet does work when people are caught doing really heinous things and exposed, or rewarded for doing things that would have gone unrecognized in the limited print world that used to dominate our news source. there are huge issues as gay rights gets pulled into politics and affects real lives. pick your battles wisely. to those who say he gives a bad impression (which he does for 2 seconds while we examine his lips moving with no sound) pounce on this with all you've got. be aware of the impression you give as petty thought police, discrediting the cause you are so passionate about. perspective people. choose your battles wisely.

Posted by: jc | Apr 13, 2011 11:24:19 AM

20. @Crispy With every post you make, your motivation is becoming more and more obvious. If you want a legitimate comparison to Kobe, try John Rocker. He was-rightly-raked over the coals for his homophobic remarks, not just by gay media, but by the media generally.....Outsports even came up with a "Rocker scale" for homophobic incidents, as a result

We will see if anything approaching that level of outrage attaches to Kobe's remark; I suspect it won't though, and I suspect we will all know why it didn't if that proves to be the case......

Posted by: Rick | Apr 13, 2011 11:26:45 AM

21. Kobe was caught up in the moment and had no control? Isn't control what sportsmanship is about? And I guess if we just turn away from his tragic choice to use the F word then we just have to forgive Dr. Laura for her repaeated use of the N word - after all she was caught up in the heat of the moment on her talk show and can't be held responsible. I'm pretty caught up in the heat of this moment so I'll have to call Francis and JC and the like minded people posting here "morons of the first degree." I know you'll forgive me.

Posted by: Jon Mitchell | Apr 13, 2011 11:38:38 AM

22. There are so many curse words to use, and Kobe chose fa***t?

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 13, 2011 11:40:40 AM

23. @Rick

My point flew entirely over your head.

There WAS a lot of vitriol thrown at Harbaugh on both of those posts in spite of the fact, as you say, that what Harbaugh actually said was less clear than in this case. And some of the same defenses were made for Harbaugh I am seeing for Bryant on this post.

I'm only saying that the racially charged commentary was nearly absent from the Harbaugh posts. I wonder why that is.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Apr 13, 2011 11:49:12 AM

24. my dearest jon, you proved my point on conflating the issue, well done. on name calling- kudos to you as well. forgiveness for what? your 'nanny nanny boo boo' level of discourse? no. thank you, for confirming my points so succinctly.

Posted by: jc | Apr 13, 2011 11:50:05 AM

25. My motivation? Pointing out that you are stupider than a box of wet hair. It's really not that complicated... even for someone like yourself with two years of a public high school education at whatever backwater town you grew up in.

Posted by: crispy | Apr 13, 2011 11:50:06 AM