2012 Election | Barack Obama | DOMA | ENDA | Jay Carney | News

BigGayDeal.com

Obama Will Not Be Issuing a List of Promises to LGBT People for the 2012 Election

Pressbriefing

Prompted by a question from the Washington Blade's Chris Johnson, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney indicated that Obama would not be issuing a list of promises to the LGBT community as he did during the 2008 election campaign.

Said Carney during a briefing yesterday:

"I don’t anticipate reissuing a list.  I think his position on a number of issues has been clear and his accomplishments on a number of issues have been clear.  So as is true with a number of the goals he set forward during his campaign and in the first two-plus years of his administration, remains those that are unfinished.  As he’s been saying a lot lately we still have a lot of work to do and we’re not done yet.  And so I think that he will remain committed to a number of policy objectives that haven’t been achieved yet."

Carney continued that the President "remains committed" to the agenda of LGBT issues he has already set forward.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. @ Jaymax,

Your quote: "What's sad is that your blind hatred for the Clintons (who are far from perfect) has twisted your view of history. Sad."

I agree with you that *Bill* Clinton is often unfairly blamed for the Republican Congress that he had to deal with. But you said, "The Clintons"? Please don't conflate Bill and Hillary. They are two different people. Obama has said that he hasn't made up his mind yet on marriage equality. Hillary *has* made up her mind. She's against it. Unless, of course, you're automatically drawn to a straight female icon figure, regardless of her views on LGBT rights. That notion is still around among white gay males; it's disappearing little by little, but it's still around.

Posted by: Phil | Apr 26, 2011 1:13:57 PM

2. Sadly, we it's a two party system, and we have to choose between Somewhat Indifferent and Crazy Hostile. At least the Somewhat Indifferent party will put much friendlier judges on the Supreme Court, which is probably the most important reason to continue voting for them.

Posted by: tranquilo | Apr 26, 2011 1:31:11 PM

3. I don't hate Obama. Never have, never will. I, unlike so many of you, am not a hateful person. I disagree with the majority of his positions. I think his passive nature is not good for our country at this time.

I 100% guarantee you that with the way I present myself and how I go about talking to people on the right (of which I know and work with a lot), I have changed more of their minds than any of you have who scream "Homophobe" at them and the like. That divides us from them. We need to show them that we are equals. We do not do that by name calling or by saying, "Look, a gay Judge!!" NO - the person is a JUDGE who happens to be gay. Just like I am a MAN who happens to be gay. Let's not define political offices (of which judicial appointments are) by their orientation.

Posted by: BC | Apr 26, 2011 3:25:29 PM

4. @ BC,

When I said that the conservative movement was focused on gay-baiting, I meant the elected Republican politicians in Congress, not the grass-roots people that you might be talking about. In no way did I mean to belittle productive discussion with conservatives, and if it came off that way, I apologize. If you are engaging grass-roots conservatives and changing minds, you deserve to feel proud of what you're doing. The small group of moderate Republican senators was crucial for repealing DADT.

Posted by: Phil | Apr 26, 2011 3:37:04 PM

5. @ BC again,

What to do when choosing a presidential candidate? Let's make an educated guess and hypothetically say that Mitt Romney (or someone like him) wins the Republican nomination. He'll nominate anti-gay judges to the Supreme Court and defend DOMA to the death. I can understand your possibly conservative fiscal/foreign policy views, but an anti-gay Supreme Court and DOMA forever? Isn't that a little too rich for your blood?

Posted by: Phil | Apr 26, 2011 3:48:52 PM

6. Good move

Posted by: jaragon | Apr 26, 2011 6:43:44 PM

7. BC: It's lovely that you're lobbying your conservative friends, no objections to that (I live in a state with marriage equality, so we know a thing or two about lobbying), but that's not the subject of this post.

The conservative candidate for president in 2012 will be anti-gay. If he's not, he won't win the Republican primaries. Obama will be pro-gay by comparison. You can vote Republican, but you will be voting anti-gay. (Most of the Republican contenders want to reinstate DADT, for instance. They will defend DOMA with everything they've got.) Simply a fact. If you expect any self-respecting gay person to vote conservative in 2012, you have your (impossible) work cut out for you.

And, BTW, the people who are screaming "look, gay judge!" are Republicans who believe that gay people are unable to rule on marriage because it's a conflict of interest. Such people define themselves as straight and anti-gay; we don't have to do it for them.

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 26, 2011 7:42:37 PM

8. Most of McCain's campaign staff was gay. NOne of Obama's was. obama appointed no gay people to the cabinet, no prominent staffers are gay. . He promised gay people everything to win, gave us nothing in return. He Rules For Radical-ed us. Pretended to be on our side just to get power. When someone does that, you punish them by throwing them out, no question about it. You punish them so the next fool that lies to get our votes knows we mean business. DROP HIM like a dirty condom.

Posted by: ted | Apr 26, 2011 7:53:36 PM

9. @ Ted,

Putting Sotomayor and Kagan on the Supreme Court (instead of the Scalia clones that McCain would have appointed) is not nothing. Lobbying the clueless ones in the Pentagon beginning in January of 2009 until they were willing to tell senators that they wouldn't oppose DADT repeal (which was the STATED REASON for many senators voting for repeal) is not nothing. Giving pro-equality judges a great new tool by no longer defending DOMA (which Obama *didn't* have to do) is not nothing. You're persuading anyone with your invective.

Posted by: Phil | Apr 26, 2011 8:45:20 PM

10. Sorry, my typo: I mean "You're not persuading anyone with your invective."

Posted by: Phil | Apr 26, 2011 8:51:34 PM

11. "Most of McCain's campaign staff was gay."

Well, Ted, if that's true, they sure did a lousy job of lobbying their boss. If McCain were president now (as if anyone would elect that old coot president), gay people would not be covered under federal hate crimes laws, gay people would not be allowed to serve openly in the military on his watch, he would defend DOMA until his presidency ended and beyond, he would have appointed right-wing conservatives to the Supreme Court. And the Republicans in the running for 2012 will be as anti-gay as McCain was, or more so, however many closeted GOProud Uncle Toms they may have on their staff.

BTW, Obama has a number of gay staffers, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 26, 2011 9:32:37 PM

12. Clinton did not sign DOMA into law to protect us from a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage. Where's that theory coming from exactly? It's true that we would have had a federal ban on gay marriage but probably not with a constitutional amendment because it wasn't necessary. DOMA was passed in the Senate with 85 votes, way more than the 67 votes needed to override the president's veto. So if Clinton had vetoed it, the bill would have gone back to Congress where it would have been approved again, thus overriding the President's veto. DOMA would have become law with or without Clinton's approval.

Regardless of this, Clinton should have still refused to sign DOMA into law just for the sake of doing the right thing by standing up for an oppressed minority. But then, that was September of 1996 and he wanted to get re-elected in November. If he had refused to sign DOMA, the GOP would have hit him with ads capitalizing that fact like a ton of bricks, and down the drain would go his re-election. What's the gay community worth to Clinton compared to his re-election?

Posted by: Mark | Apr 27, 2011 1:27:37 AM

13. OH LETS ALL VOTE REPUBLICAN.
    To you clinton and obama haters, please take that republican Dick out of your mouth, for a moment and talk some sense, please name me one thing republicans have EVER done for our community. True the Democrats may not of done every thing we want them to, it is because they cant, Now I know many of you are insightful people, and I also know some of you have your head so far up your azz you can only see crap, but if you dont vote democrat, any chance you get, then you are in fact voting for the side that hates us. DO YOU UNDERSTAND, NOT VOTING OR VOTING REPUBLICAN, it is like putting a noose around your neck and asking some one who hates you not to kick the chair out from under you. Some times I get so ashamed of the stupidity I see in the gay community, voting republican, is like a jew voting for hitler. so to those who do vote republican, please shut the F**k up when they pass another law against your rights, you asked for it.

Posted by: Austin Warned U | Apr 27, 2011 10:04:22 AM