Hip-Hop | Music

BigGayDeal.com

Straight Rapper Lil B To Title His Next Album 'I'm Gay'

Lil-B
Lil B, who the New York Times has called the "folk hero of the rap counterculture," announced during his set at Coachella yesterday that he intends to name his next album "I'm Gay." The heterosexual Rapper told the audience the following:

"I'm going to do the most controversial thing in hip hop...i'm gonna show you that words don't mean s**t. I'm gonna make an album called "I'm gay."

Last year, Lil B released a single last year "I'm God." Watch his announcement, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. He is kinda late..there are a bunch of LGBT rappers out there. Tim'm West Foxx Jazelle, Imani The Misfit, etc. Interesting marketing ploy. not fully fleshed out on paper me thinks.

In fact google Homo-hop or homohop. Go on..

Posted by: Ask A Bisexual Guy | Apr 17, 2011 12:56:58 PM

2. I think you missed the point. In naming his album, "I'm Gay," he's showing that these labels are meaningless. This isn't a marketing ploy. He hardly needs the minor market that LGBT rappers have. This is an artistic statement. Good for him.

Posted by: gwyneth cornrow | Apr 17, 2011 1:18:08 PM

3. Sorry Lil B, but words mean a helluva lot in context. And naming your album "I'm Gay" is not going to prove otherwise.

Posted by: RW | Apr 17, 2011 1:28:02 PM

4. I completely agree w Gywneth. The rest of you posting simply don't understand Hip-Hop counterculture.

Posted by: Tom Bardwell | Apr 17, 2011 2:22:24 PM

5. The hiphop community has come a long way in just the last two or three years. The support we're seeing from Russel Simmons, Kanye West, and Diddy is very different from the hatred of DMX, Public Enemy, and Busta Rhymes.

And I'm one of those people who hated hiphop because of all the raw homophobia.

Posted by: dh | Apr 17, 2011 2:23:08 PM

6. Also, to prove that words "don't mean sh**", Lil B's new album will be instrumental. Masses cheer!

Posted by: Sam | Apr 17, 2011 2:49:55 PM

7. But I DO think it will challenge the consumer to confront her or his homophobia. Words have meaning yes, but it borders on the ridiculous that perceived homosexuality is such an issue that things like "no homo" have to be created to further distance the user from anything even perceived as being potential homoerotic, no matter how minuscule.

Fr those individuals where saying "I love you" to another man, or who refrain from saying anything out of the fear that it could be considered "gay", words have a ton of meaning. But being forced to say that they like an album that;s called "I'm Gay" ESPECIALLY when it has no real reflection on the content of the album itself is an interesting way to highlight that issue. They're so afraid to do or say anything that they perceive as gay even when it isn't, and will they see how ridiculous it is when they won't even talk about something because it's called "gay" even when it isn't?

It's not the most unique thought, but it's interesting to see what happens and if it will force any consumers to challenge their heteronormative restrictions.

Posted by: Luminum | Apr 17, 2011 2:51:32 PM

8. Kanye against homophobia YEARS ago: http://towleroad.typepad.com/towleroad/2005/11/kanye_west_revi.html

Posted by: Sam | Apr 17, 2011 2:52:09 PM

9. What kind of lyrics could someone have, if words have no meaning?

Sounds like a dumbass, if you ask me.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 17, 2011 3:44:08 PM

10. What ever happened to the pen is mightier then the sword? I guess not many pens or swords being used these days.
    If the album flops, follow up album: "I'm not Gay" with numerous disclaimers.

Posted by: Rob West | Apr 17, 2011 5:12:45 PM

11. I hear the album after that is going to be called "I'm Intelligent".

Posted by: AdamK | Apr 17, 2011 6:10:38 PM

12. Word!

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Apr 17, 2011 8:10:36 PM

13. You may name the album "I'm Gay"... but is there going to be a song on it, that you also sing live, by the same title and lyric content? Probably not! "I'm Chicken"!

Posted by: james Brown | Apr 17, 2011 9:13:38 PM

14. Well, Alex Paterson (a notorious caucasian) of The Orb named his Trojan Records compilation 'I'll Be Black', and I didn't notice the sky falling down.
    Then again, the Discordian labeling gimmick 'This Is A Lie' rarely motivates people to spend money on the lie.

Posted by: Go Galt. Please. | Apr 17, 2011 9:40:14 PM

15. So God is gay? And black?

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 18, 2011 9:14:59 AM

16. And coming out as his next album, "NoHomo" ;)

Posted by: B-rod | Apr 18, 2011 11:18:30 AM

17. funniest part is the crowd that says stuff like "coolest thing I've heard in my life", "that's why i love him", "brilliant, he's brilliant!!!!'" etc,

Posted by: Dgrin | Apr 19, 2011 9:36:25 PM

18. I always wonder, why do rappers make such a big fuzz around the gay lifestyle?. and here Lil B is acting like he just invented the goddarn telephone, not the cordless kind but the one with the turning wheel, remember those?

Posted by: Dgrin | Apr 19, 2011 9:39:46 PM

19. When will we see that our words result in violence? 2nd Amendment rights - are you kidding me? Gun control now!

Posted by: Wholesale New Era Hats | Sep 20, 2011 11:57:58 PM