Republican Party | Rick Santorum

Rick Santorum Had Nothing To Do With His Campaign Slogan

Rick
Rick Santorum, who earlier this year said marriage equality is unnatural, apparently had nothing do to with the creation of his own presidential campaign slogan. Yesterday, during a stop in New Hampshire, Santorum admitted to Think Progress he had nothing to do with the the slogan, "Fighting to Make America America Again," and also had no idea that it was lifted from a poem written by the gay poet Langston Hughes titled "Let America Be America Again."

Watch him stumble over his words, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. as clueless as ever, i see.

Posted by: EO | Apr 16, 2011 12:34:01 PM

2. So, is he keeping the slogan or ditching it now?

As for the anything gay being against "nature" argument, so is making teens wait until they're older and married to have sex. Nature is screaming at them to have sex around 12 or 13 years old, when it equips them with hormones, labidos and functional sex organs.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Apr 16, 2011 1:12:45 PM

3. What Santorum really wants to stumble over is a big fat cock.

Posted by: Tweety | Apr 16, 2011 1:18:31 PM

4. remember to google ricky every day. make sure his dan savage profile stays #1.

Posted by: walter | Apr 16, 2011 1:54:13 PM

5. Dastius? What's a "Labido?" I must have missed getting mine.

Posted by: Joe in CT | Apr 16, 2011 2:08:06 PM

6. Pshew! I'm so thankful we have Ricky Santorum. Because for a while I was living in Yugoslavia, then Belize, and also Iceland but my house never moved. I'm glad he's making America America again, because I was so confused about where we really were and then maybe I'll get my mail again.

What an idiot. On every level. Hey Ricky, is that America you want to bring back the one before the Emmancipation Proclamation? Before civil rights? Maybe when women couldn't vote? How about when all homosexuals stayed in the closet, not just the repressed, gay Republican politicans.

He's a weasel.

Posted by: Bart | Apr 16, 2011 2:18:32 PM

7. not ready for prime time

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Apr 16, 2011 2:21:58 PM

8. Joe in CT, would you believe "labido" is a sex drive involving lots of kissing, a fusion of "libido" and "labia"? No? How about a misspelling of libido?

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Apr 16, 2011 2:54:30 PM

9. Is it unkind to observe that Santorum has got himself in deep doo-doo? Did I say that?!

Posted by: Hue-Man | Apr 16, 2011 4:01:40 PM

10. Stupid move. He could have just said that the wording was sufficiently different from Hughes' poetic line that it wasn't the same. The two phrases are a little different. Hughes isn't the only person to have called for America to be America again." Fighting to Make America America Again" isn't a direct quote of "Let America be America again." I personally don't think either Santorum's slogan or Hughes poetic line (taken in isolation) is very interesting. If America is no longer America, then it was never America to begin with. That's why Hughes' subsequent line in his poem is much more interesting, and must be considered as well: "America never was America to me."

Posted by: Jim Green | Apr 16, 2011 4:08:45 PM

11. So I guess this means Santorum still has gays on his staff?

Posted by: Staff Infection? | Apr 16, 2011 6:07:17 PM

12. "the folks who worked on that slogan..."

I'm tired of Obama using the word folks.
    Now, Ricky is, too.

I guess marketers are now folks.

Posted by: Dan | Apr 16, 2011 7:39:35 PM

13. 'He further clarified: "The folks who worked on that slogan for me didn’t inform me that that’s where it came from, if in fact it came from that."'

Oh right, I forgot. Even though we live in a technological age where people can type letters into computers and get entire poems in seconds, we ALSO live in a political age where it's better to not take those seconds and just behave as though facts have the possibility of also not being true.

"I didn't say that water is wet, if it actually even is wet..."

Posted by: Luminum | Apr 16, 2011 8:50:13 PM

14. Oh, dear. Ricky gets caught in the headlights again. 'Nobody told me!' is not a good way to start the campaign.

Posted by: Go Galt. Please. | Apr 17, 2011 3:03:17 AM

15. Which America ?
    The one with slavery?
    The one where gay citizens were institutionalized?
    The one where women could not vote?
    The one where children worked in factories?
    The one where the KKK marched down Penn Ave in the thousands?
    The one where it was legal not to sell homes or lands to Native Americans?
    The one where most people lived in poverty?

Posted by: Reality 101 | Apr 17, 2011 7:52:52 AM

16. You have to get through all the froth to get to the truth these days.

Posted by: Huh? | Apr 17, 2011 9:12:39 AM

17. @Jim Green: couldn't agree more. The phrase is brief, common, and not a direct lift of the original. Just a meaningless phrase coined by some inane PR firm or campaign staffer.

@Dan: Thank you! This has been a HUGE pet peeve of mine for a long time. I'm sure that Obama's advisers tell him to use "folks" to make him seem more in touch with "average" (in every sense of the word) Americans, but it rings hollow. It's also the language Bush II used. I so wish Obama would stop saying it. I know that Americans are threatened by cerebral politicians (since, of course, why would we possibly want intelligent leaders?), but they can also recognize cloying attempts to seem like an average Joe.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 18, 2011 1:23:37 AM

18. W/ that line

He's really showing us his leadership abilities.

Posted by: Flipper | Apr 18, 2011 2:36:19 AM

19. Please PLEASE somebody stage a debate with Romney, Santorum, Huckleberry and Trump. I'll make the popcorn!

Posted by: wimsy | Apr 18, 2011 11:25:25 AM

20. See, Frothy Discharge, things like this will continue to happen as long as you try and destroy the GAYS. Remember, not all of us are out in the open, like ninjas.

CROUCHING POOF, HIDDEN HOMOS!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Apr 18, 2011 12:03:32 PM