Kobe Bryant | News | Sports | Ted Nugent

Rocker Ted Nugent Rips NBA for Fining Kobe Bryant's Anti-Gay Slur

Rocker Ted Nugent has written an opinion piece published in the Washington Times, slamming the NBA for its fine on Kobe Bryant's recent anti-gay slur as part of a larger tirade against gay rights.

Nugent Some of Nugent's opinions:

"To be exact, Mr. Bryant committed this egregious verbal foul because he used a word demeaning to homosexuals, the most protected class of people in America."

"Think of it: $100,000 for calling someone a name. A simple apology from Mr. Bryant to the referee obviously wasn’t good enough for the NBA. I doubt Mr. Bryant would have been fined 10 cents had he referred to the referee as a useless Christ on a crucifix soaking in a vat of urine. No, the real reason Mr. Bryant was fined was because he used an anti-gay term to describe the referee. One has to wonder how much the NBA would have fined Mr. Bryant if, before the game, he had told the referee he “looked quite gay” that night."

"If the NBA had any true gay convictions, the NBA should host a Homosexual Night. During halftime, the homosexuals could come down on the court, hold hands and prance around the court to music by the Village People. The NBA could then give each homosexual a pink basketball as a symbol of solidarity."

Nugent suggests Bryant should threaten to quit the NBA:

"Wouldn’t it be refreshing if Mr. Bryant threatened to resign from the NBA over this? The amount of money the NBA would lose without Kobe Bryant helping to pack the stands would be staggering compared with the politically correct $100,000 fine levied on him. Mr. Bryant threatening to quit wouldn’t make the NBA very gay. I got 20 bucks that says the NBA would toss homosexuals under the bus and fold like a cheap suit to keep Mr. Bryant in the NBA."

(via media matters)

Comments

1. Tyrone,

you need to look up the definiton of racist.

Mel Smith was using a little sarcasm as a preempitve strike against what usually happens on this blog in cases where race will come up. Mel was not the first poster to bring up race in this thread/discussion.

OJ,

Maybe the Eryka Badu was not for everybody. Just like if you made a reference to Conway Twitty everybody might not get it. You gotta' Google, honey.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 20, 2011 1:13:55 PM

2. Matt, I am not being negative at I. As a social activist, I am not afraid to challenge issues affecting who I am. How am I being negative? Did I make any negative or disrespectful comments about someone or a group of people. The only thing I am doing is challenging the hypocrisy affecting my community.

I'm sorry, I'm told old to be afraid to speak and type what's on my mind. You call it "counterproductive," I call it having an honest dialogue. You use the word, "pity." What does pity has to do with challenging homophobia, hypocrisy, double standard race baiting, etc???

No pun attended, but you can kiss my as$ if you don't think I should express my current views. As long as I am not using derogatory language against people, I have a right to my beliefs.

I'm not the enemy; homophobia and other problems are our enemies and we can't be afraid to express how we feel. No disrespect at all

Posted by: Mel Smith | Apr 20, 2011 1:16:40 PM

3. Two Things: One, 1975 Homophobia called and wanted to tip their hat to you, Sir.

And two, I would have LOVED to see what the NBA would have done if Kobe had threatened to quit. Because, as everyone knows, money si what makes everything go around here in the US. It would have been fireworks!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Apr 20, 2011 1:19:14 PM

4. Derrick honey, use the Google? You realty think I'm going to research and Google every stupid obscure reference someone makes?
    Enjoy your Conway Twitty, who ever that is! And no, I'm not going to Google them Honey.

Posted by: OJ | Apr 20, 2011 1:27:18 PM

5. @Mel Smith: I like your posts and find your forthrightness refreshing. And Matt's also not all wrong that throwing in a little hope couldn't hurt either.

@OJ, ur so camp I had to laugh. Thank you. And whoever said the NBA should have pink basketballs, ha, that'd be kinda kickass, man.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Apr 20, 2011 1:34:09 PM

6. Ted who?

Posted by: christopher | Apr 20, 2011 1:35:08 PM

7. @Kev & @Mel-- Ok, here you go: "Ted Nugent, whoever he is, is an ignorant hater who makes white people look bad, and he doesn't deserve a free pass just because he's white."

Is that what you wanted to hear? Happy now?

Can we go back to hating our oppressors now and stop hating each other, please?

Posted by: dh | Apr 20, 2011 1:50:06 PM

8. DH,
    Thank you! But good luck with that one!

Mel states: "Most importantly, you, white heterosexuals and black heterosexuals are all bullsh!t artists in my eyes. You guys are hypocrites and full of sh!t."

Then Mel states: "As long as I am not using derogatory language against people, I have a right to my beliefs."

DH, you can't reason with an irrational person like Mel. He makes broad generalizations against a group of people because of the actions of some. Then he contradicts himself between posts. Just sad.

Posted by: Joseph | Apr 20, 2011 2:14:51 PM

9. Let me say this: there will always be division between white and black people because you guys always try to correct our actions, but you honestly never take the time to correct yours. That's the main problem, and than you try to hush people into not sharing their beliefs.

When people post racists comments on this site, do any of you take the time to educate people of the countless gay black readers of towleroad?

Joesph, ok. Do you honestly take the time the address the hyprocrisy and inconsistancies with your own people? I did exactly what you guys did. Out of frustration I attacked the homophobia coming from white people, and as usual, some of you were quick to educate me on making generalizations. I have no problems at all about being corrected.

However, do you correct people when they make generalizations about black people? Do you correct people who race bait the black homophobe? Do you correct people who make racist statements about black people despite the fact that countless black gay people like me support this site? You don't do any of that, but you guys are so quick to correct us. Double standard pieces of sh!t.

Double standards and hypocrisy.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Apr 20, 2011 2:40:51 PM

10. Mel Smith, YOU are a racist!

You just assume that there are NO white people that would ever come to the defense of a black person who is the subject of racism. Just wow!

You also assume that there are NO white people that are fighting against homophobia and racism through education. You want proof that YOU are a racist?

Your comment, " Do you honestly take the time the address the hyprocrisy and inconsistancies with your own people?"

YOUR OWN PEOPLE!? We should ALL be fighting intolerant regardless of color. YOU need to take a long, hard look in the mirror, pal!
    I agree with Joseph, there no reasoning with a person like you!

Posted by: Louis | Apr 20, 2011 2:59:33 PM

11. This message is for all gay black people who visit this site:

We should not be patronizing a site that is visited by insensitive racist pieces of
    sh!t. I have no beef with Andy.

Most of them don't respect us. If they did, why do they post offensive or racist postings in our presence? How come they don't correct people in their own communities about making generalizations, but are oh so quick to correct us?

They are no different than the homophobe. Let's visit another site in which the readers are not blind by their own generalizations, ignorance and prejudice.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Apr 20, 2011 2:59:55 PM

12. Just for the record: Ted Nugent had a hit single in 1967 (Journey to the Center of Your Mind) with a group called The Amboy Dukes. Which then became Ted Nugent and The Amboy Dukes (I saw him/them in 1968 in California. Don't ask.)

In the 1970's into the early 1980's, Ted went solo and had a few middling albums. He was primarily an opening act for a lot of bigger groups. He wore tight, tight pants, showed very little dick (a nub, actually). He was known as a "gonzo" guitar player and I must say, he is, or rather was, damn good (saw him again in 1975 in Ohio; don't ask).

He is an admitted sex addict, or was, anyway, and proudly boasts of having had rank, promiscuous sex all throughout his mediocre career. He had a real thing for underage girls. I'm talking 14-15 year-old type girls. He actually married one of them when she was 15 and he was 27 or something like that.

He has always been a right-winger and very outspoken about it. He's a big gun-rights advocate and had a brief reality show a few years ago (Ted Nugent's Survival Camp or something like that). He, like Sarah Plain, hunts all his own meat (the kind you can eat). All his kids were gun-trained by the age of six.

He's now big on the fringe, right-wing circuit where he'll show up, play his old semi-hits, crank out some gonzo-guitar and rant and rave about the "faggots in Washington" and "pansy-ass Democrats". He has his own radio show out of Michigan that's syndicated in minor markets around the country.

He is an avowed homophobe and an under-the-radar racist.

He's also one of the biggest ass-wipes ever.

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 20, 2011 3:12:47 PM

13. Louis, do you know the definition of a racist? A racist is someone who hates or dislikes someone because of their skin color or ethnicity. A racist is someone who would try to keep an individual from succeeding because of skin color or ethnicity.

It does not make one a racist just because I am a black person engaging white people about homophobia and race. And an overwhelming majority don't take the take to address ignorance in their own communities(I live in a black neighborhood, that is what I mean by community.). I know this because most black heterosexuls also don't take the time to address homophobia. When I typed "your kind," I am referring to people who look like you.

So if you think I am racist, f@ck you and your opinion!

Posted by: Mel Smith | Apr 20, 2011 3:18:52 PM

14. Lame retort Mel!
    Oh no, you're not a racist by any means.

"This message is for all gay black people who visit this site"
    Way to promote segregation, Mel. Then you'll turn around and complain about the segregation from the white man that's keeping you down.
    Stop embarrassing yourself already!

Posted by: Lashawn | Apr 20, 2011 3:31:25 PM

15. Ted the Barbarian.
    Whatever.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 20, 2011 3:41:31 PM

16. Ted used stereotypes because that is all he knows. I am gay, but I don't prance, I don't like "The Village People's" music and pink is WAY not my color. I believe this qualifies for douchebagdom.

Posted by: Pointed | Apr 20, 2011 4:02:01 PM

17. who?

Posted by: Seriously | Apr 20, 2011 4:05:53 PM

18. Only time I ever see a group of people listening to and dancing to the Village People is at heterosexual weddings. What is it with Str8s and YMCA?

Posted by: Stephen | Apr 20, 2011 4:46:56 PM

19. Since we've been discussing Ted Nugent, this seemed a good time to bring up Nugent's draft dodging. It's well known that Nugent claims to have gone to great lengths to flunk his Draft Board physical. What's not so well-known is that he got a student deferment at the same time he was touring with his rock band, putting in an average of 300 shows a year. How More.. was he going to school and touring that much at the same time?
    Nugent's Selective Service records, obtained via a FOIA request. Nugent received student deferments in 1967 (1-S) and 1968 (2-S). But according to the Internet Movie Data Base website, Nugent has been "performing professionally since 1958, non-stop yearly touring since 1967, averaging more than 300 shows per year '67-73." Hmm, that would include the two years he was supposedly too wrapped up in his studies to be serving his country.

Posted by: Akula | Apr 20, 2011 4:57:17 PM

20. Lashawn, you obviously have not read all of my responses. If so, you would not have quickly challenged my views. Now, the hell with you and your ignorant opinion.

Calling all black gay people to not support ignorance and racism is not promoting segregation at all. You're too blind to see this because you are a twisted confused fool. It would be one of the scariest things in the world if you are a black person. You automatically assumed I was wrong because of the presumption you have about blacks.

Not one person have answered my question on if they challenged the racism and ignorance on this site.

I got one person who thinks I'm racist, and another person who thinks I'm for segregation????? What the f@ck!!!! I'm for segregation because I'm asking people like me to patronize sites visited by less bias people?

If the readers of this site is bias, I have a right to tell black gay folks to visit a site with less bias. That's not promoting segregation at all. That's saying visit a site free from bigotry. I'm promoting segregation but I leave here and recommend that people visit white owned sites like Liberals Like Christ and other sites??????

Read my views before you make a bias opinion about me! You don't f@cking know me! I am the last person to race bait for the hell of it. But, I am not afraid to speak what's on my mind.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Apr 20, 2011 5:28:23 PM

21. And if you think I'm racist or for segregation, ask the countless people I work with how do they feel about me. I am one of the most liberal reformed minded people anyone would ever meet.

Don't f@cking make a false assumption about me just because I challenged the thoughts and views of some people who visit this site. You don't even waste your breath to challenge the supremacy minds and ignorance against people of color that some white gays have. But, you got enough time to attack me??? I have a right to be upset by the lack of respect that some white gays have for black gays. If you are not comfortable with me addressing my views, that's your f@cking problem, not mine!

Posted by: Mel Smith | Apr 20, 2011 5:37:11 PM

22. Sorry Ted, the most protected group in the country is gun owners. I'm sure you are fine with that. Clown.

Posted by: Bill_HB | Apr 20, 2011 6:20:57 PM

23. Ted is coming to the Independent in San Francisco on July 5th.

I hope they will cancel his show. I certainly plan to tell them that they should shut it down.

Please join me in that effort.

Posted by: TonyJ | Apr 20, 2011 8:01:39 PM

24. @TonyJ. Good call. SF needs to shut this Nugent hater DOWN.

@Mel: Wow, man. Hardcore. I guess u dish it out and take it alike tho. But u've no grounds to leave us based on this thread, mate. We talk here.

@Jamal: Your comments hit on another Nugent hang-up: his own masculinity. He insults by using feminity references. Hates women, too. and any part of himself that might be a tad fem. (how's that for a new layer, Mel? ;--).)

Posted by: just_a_guy | Apr 20, 2011 11:59:42 PM

25. The NBA would barely lose a cent losing Kobe, ted. Another player would come along.

Who is this relic?