News | Republican Party | Rick Santorum

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Former Sen. Alan Simpson (R-WY) Rips 'Homophobes' in GOP

Simpson

Appearing on Hardball this evening, former Senator Alan Simpson (R-WY) took social conservatives in his party to task, saying male lawmakers shouldn't be allowed to vote on the "deeply intimate and personal decision" of abortion, Zack Ford at Think Progress reports.

He also condemned "homophobes" in the GOP, particularly former Senator Rick Santorum:

"We have homophobes on our party. That’s disgusting to me. We’re all human beings. We’re all God’s children. Now if they’re going to get off on that stuff—Santorum has said some cruel things—cruel, cruel things—about homosexuals. Ask him about it; see if he attributes the cruelness of his remarks years ago. Foul."

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Coolest. Republican. Ever (sans Lincoln of course).

Posted by: atg145 | Apr 11, 2011 7:39:14 PM

2. @ATG145: Don't go overboard. He'd still close down Social Security and Medicare in a heartbeat while passing out more tax breaks for billionaires and multi-national corporations. So he doesn't think we should be hanged from the local oak tree...big deal. He's still a conservative Republican.

Posted by: RWG | Apr 11, 2011 8:03:13 PM

3. Didn't do a damn thing for gay people while in office.

Let's throw him a party!

Pffff

Posted by: BobN | Apr 11, 2011 8:09:51 PM

4. He is a right wing Republican. Congratulations! Like the broken clock, he is right about twice a day.

Posted by: candideinnc | Apr 11, 2011 8:11:50 PM

5. RWG:

So? I'd privatize social security too. Just because we're gay doesn't mean we can't be fiscally conservative.

But of course, you probably think that anything to the left of a nanny welfare state is anathema to anyone who happens to be gay...

Posted by: Jack | Apr 11, 2011 8:17:28 PM

6. I've always liked Senator Simpson He is never one to hold back.

Posted by: Mike Triggs | Apr 11, 2011 8:53:41 PM

7. @ Jack

That is so typical of conservatives, gay or straight. Basically your philosophy is: 1) I have mine so to hell with everyone else, and 2) anyone that disagrees is against freedom, and personal responsibility because paying taxes is tyranny and praying individuals and corporations do the right thing without any regulation is effective policy.

Way to go. Be "fiscally conservative" all you want but that doesn't change the fact that 80% of the party that represents your views doesn't welcome your presence, would ban you if they had the chance, and doesn't mind using you as a political gimmick to rile up evangelical psychos.

Posted by: Brian B. | Apr 11, 2011 8:57:46 PM

8. Allies are allies. Just because he doesn't agree with the Democratic party platform doesn't mean he's not valuable and that his support goes unappreciated.

People can disagree and still be friends, you know.

Posted by: Jason 2 | Apr 11, 2011 9:06:32 PM

9. Look don't get me wrong. I'm glad that we have support, however minimal, within the Republican party. I hope that the Republicans can become more like the Tories in the UK, but the fact is that when extremists are the base, even politicians that support us will never actually do anything while in office.

Posted by: Brian B. | Apr 11, 2011 9:23:04 PM

10. The unfortunate thing about former Senator Simpson, and many other Republicans like him, is that he never expresses his admirably libertarian views about sexuality and privacy rights until he's left office. While he's actually *in* office, he always pandered to fundamentalist Xtians on social issues and civil rights. Now could we please see some Republicans who can grow enough balls to voice their "live and let live" attitude while they are still holding office? [Crickets chirping...]

Posted by: Phil | Apr 11, 2011 9:29:36 PM

11. @JACK--you perfectly represent--and prove--what I've always said about gay republicans: that gay people can be as greedy and selfish as straight people.

Posted by: Danny | Apr 11, 2011 9:50:59 PM

12. Do most of you actually know anything about Senator Simpson? I'm guessing not, and that many commenters are simply assuming he's a standard-issue, conservative Republican. But he's a libertarian who has never really pandered to anyone (which is why he wasn't the most popular politician, not least among his GOP peers---name another GOP member who has called out another by name, as he did with Santorum).

Oh, and he's been out of office for 14 years. Back in the mid-90s, you may or may not recall, not a lot of federal support was given to LGBTs by either party. I'm as far away as possible from being a Republican, but Simpson is an incredibly bright man who in no way toes the party line. I know this because I've met him many times (my father worked for him in the 80s, but this apple fell far from the tree). My father was forever having to deal with furious party leaders over Simpson's refusal to play along with irrational partisan scheming.

He's an independent---and often cantankerous---thinker. I certainly don't agree with all his views, but he's a damn shot better than the vile GOP sheep who pass for politicians these days. I can disagree with someone and still respect them. Today's GOP Congress I disagree with *and* disrespect. (For the record, my father has also taken a turn for the liberal as he's aged.)

And from Wikipedia:

He supports equality for all persons regardless of race, color, creed, gender, or sexual orientation. In an article in the Washington Post, the former senator wrote an article criticizing the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy stating "'Gay' is an artificial category that says little about a person. Our differences and prejudices pale next to our historic challenge."

In 2001, Simpson became Honorary Chairman of the Republican Unity Coalition (RUC), a gay/straight alliance within the Republican Party. In this capacity, Simpson personally recruited President Gerald R. Ford to serve on the RUC's Advisory Board...Simpson is an Honorary Board Member of the humanitarian organization Wings of Hope...Simpson was appointed in 2010 to co-chair President Barack Obama's National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform with co-chair Erskine Bowles.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 11, 2011 11:13:43 PM

13. @BRIANB (and Danny):

Way to go yourself, making all of those unwarranted assumptions about my political views... When did I ever say that anyone who disagrees with me is "against freedom?" Sir, it is YOU who are typical, lumping anyone who says anything about being conservative as a closed-minded, selfish wignut.

But since you ask, yes, what I earn is mine. Sorry, but how can you justify any other view? I toil for my money, but I have no right to it? Why bother working at all?

Just because I'm opposed to government redistribution does not mean that I am "selfish." I'd bet that I give much more charitable contributions than the average person.

You are as closed-minded as you think I am. You are dismissive without cause, and refuse to even contemplate that someone who disagrees with you has a legitimate point of view.

Posted by: Jack | Apr 11, 2011 11:37:16 PM

14. I'm a very liberal person who is a Democrat although I'm not always pleased with them by an means. I say cheers to you Jack and to anyone who wants to express their beliefs. Having real conversations about different political views is what our government is missing...emphasis on REAL. I believe that we are only as strong as our weakest in terms of stability in this country, but respect anyone who considers themselves on the other-side of the fiscal perspective. And any GOP or Independent standing up and acknowledging us as normal, hard-working people is not a bad thing...should we be in awe, no, but we can always be humbled by dissension within the Republican party. I for one am glad to have this man speaking out against the GOP's social war on us...and anyone who doesn't like Santorum is a friend of mine!

Posted by: Jake | Apr 12, 2011 12:16:08 AM

15. saw it all on msnbc and I'm too tired to watch the clip

does it include mathews saying simpson is a rare breed?

basically the only sane republican left on social issues

The ful interview laid out that the repub party would primary this guy with a teabagger if he was still in office

fat lot of good this 1 and ONLY repub who isn't even in office anymore is sane socially

blah

he never get elected today as a repub in wyoming

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Apr 12, 2011 12:43:42 AM

16. Apparently Republicans only gain sanity when they leave office, with the exception of the has beens who want to seek higher office (Santorum, Gingrich).

Posted by: NY2.0 | Apr 12, 2011 1:58:29 AM

17. I am so tired of being bashed by the haters/fundamentalists/right wing zealots. I ask them where in the Gospel (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) Jesus condemns homosexuals?...they can't answer the question because he didn't. When I write to the Crystal Cathedral and ask them why they are making those in the choir sign a covenant saying that are not gay because if they are they can't sing. A covenant who the hell are these people -- I thought only God makes covenants. These total haters. How dare they ban anyone that wants to sing for Jesus Christ. Jesus came to spread the Word about love and forgiveness, salvation and hung around with the sinners. Screw the 'righteous' they wouldn't know Jesus if he hit them with a ton of Bibles. They are hateful fearmongers who judge to keep people in their place.

Oh I digress. I think GoGOP has good ideas and is motivated to keep this country on sound fiscal ground. I am like totally gay and was a Hillary Democrat until the party left me behind with all that 'Change' bullshit. But I am then condemned as a racist for thinking this fraud is the WORST thing that ever happened even though I have loved many black men. This country is on a downward spiral and if we don't work to limit the special interest, corporations, big banks and unions that hold our politicians in their corrupt pockets. Does anyone think anymore? This is why our country will fall...because of greed, corruption selfishness...that is why the Roman Empire fell and why we will as well if something radical doesn't happen soon, and not because two men love and care about each other. Time to go away Alan Simpson and Rick Santorium -- only love will save this country.

Posted by: Norman E. Chapman III-Frank | Apr 12, 2011 2:55:53 AM

18. Norman what are you on about?

Do you know Rahm who hard a HUGE influence on Obama was the Clintons poodle??

Do you know pretty much everyone involved in the financial section worked for Clinton?

Do you realize then Clintons are deeper with Wall Street then Obama who has come from academia and then been a lawyer then senate?

Do you realize how powerful the Clintons are? This shouldve been there's. Which is why Bill is so mad. That family are power hungry and RUTHLESS.

No thanks. Although I am disappointed how much like Clinton Obama has behaved, unless he wanted to bring a bunch if novices, what choice did he have? I just wished he'd never had Rahm who is so right wing and wall street obsessed.

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 12, 2011 5:18:17 AM

19. The homocons on this site are all of a piece. They have obviously never had need of the social safety net. Having never faced disastrous health problems, they never understood how tenuous their financial well being is. They never understood the dangers of trying to apply the economics of capuitalism to health care. They never had to fight insurance companies when all their savings have been spent for the deductibles in their policies.

I doubt any of them have reached their late 50s or 60s, and found themselves to be laid off by employers who don't want to have the burden of more expensive older employees. Try getting a job at 60...anywhere but Walmart. If they had more compassion and understanding of the problems of the poor, the elderly and the ill, they wouldn't be the self-centered pr*cks they are.

Posted by: candideinnc | Apr 12, 2011 8:45:39 AM

20. CANDIDEINNC:

My sincerest apologies for having stayed healthy, and kept my job... I assure you this is not something I lucked into; I've dedicated a lot of time and effort to getting to where I am today.

Like your predecessors in attacking, you fail in your primary point, however. How, pray tell, does opposing **government** redistribution of wealth equate to being self-centered? Are you seriously claiming that the only cure to societal ills is by way of government intervention? As I mentioned, I give a hefty amount to charity every single year; without government taxes, would you? If not, maybe you're the one who is a self-centered prick. Benevolence should be encouraged, but not forced.

My view of the government is that it exists to keep us from physically destroying one another. That is, to prevent Hobbes' state of nature. Not to make sure that all citizens are prosperous or even healthy (as laudable as those goals are). It is impossible for government to achieve those goals without violating the rights for the which the protection of, government is necessary to begin with. Quite a few non-radical political philosophers over the years have agreed with me.

Open YOUR mind, and stop assuming that you have all the answers. The people who do nothing but bash anyone to the right of them on here are amongst the biggest hypocrites one can find. It's nearly as bad as decrying homophobia whilst using racial slurs.

Posted by: Jack | Apr 12, 2011 11:16:03 AM

21. Girls! Girls! Don't make me come up there!

Posted by: wimsy | Apr 12, 2011 11:45:40 AM

22. Sorry guys, but im with Jack on this one. Simply by looking at the comments. I see a great deal of assumption for Jacks point of view and an instant feeling of betrayal portrayed by the Far left. I am gay, socially liberal and fiscally conservative. Trust me, even typing conservative makes me feel dirty. But there it is. I have but one simple philosophy. Throwing money at a problem never fixes anything. But I believe Jack has valid points and all I have seen so far are insults in place of counter arguments. My opinion is open and subject to change when presented with a logical point of view and an actual debate on the issue. Those who simply smear an opponent obviously have no legitimate arguments and resort to 5th grade insult hurling. If you have a counter argument to Jacks point of view lets hear it without the name calling.

Posted by: Lynus | Apr 12, 2011 12:25:27 PM

23. The gov'ts job isn't to make sure that all citizens are prosperous or healthy, but to provide a level playing field. Also some people need help financially to stay healthy. As the recent budget debate highlights, healthcare costs can be extremely challenging and expensive. Thats why the gov't invest, regulates, etc in new drugs, affordable drug prices, drug safety, etc, etc. I could go on, but I'm really trying to avoid watching, talking, or reading about politics. Things will never improve or change really because human beings are imperfect and prone to greed, lying, etc. Our media and education also plays a role as history and the present is often manipulated/distorted to our disadvantage.

Posted by: Lazlo | Apr 12, 2011 10:46:26 PM

24. To the self proclaimed conservatives.

Yes, no sh*t gays on the left feel betrayed when other gays vote Republican. Nearly all Republicans, when in office will at worst work to take our rights away and at best do absolutely nothing.

Look, go ahead believe whatever you want about policy, but if you chose to identify with the Republicans and ACTUALLY VOTE for them then there is a problem.

I love how all the gay conservatives here talk about their money (news flash! 90% of people work hard for their money too) and take pride in somehow bucking the trend of being gay and liberal, but ALWAYS fail to address WHY they vote for a party that DOES NOT WELCOME THEIR PRESENCE, WOULD BAN THEM IF POSSIBLE, AND USES GAYS AS POLITICAL BAIT FOR THE RELIGIOUS BIGOTS? Your silence is deafening.

You all stay silent when idiots like Michelle Bachmann spew crap about how Jesus told her to ban gay marriage, but somehow magically sprout up when a rare story like this shows up to selectively support your distorted beliefs.

Posted by: Brian B. | Apr 12, 2011 11:29:31 PM

25. Simpson has a lot of gall jumping on the bandwagon of those who hate American conservatism. He is living proof that his generation of the GOP establishment was never representing the interests of the American people. The vast majority of Americans fully agree with Senator Santorum on the defense of marriage, the protection of the unborn and other issues like human trafficking and runaway taxation and spending. Simpson's comments prove that in the time since he was shellacked out of office he has gained nothing in terms of understanding of the issues this country faces.

Posted by: TparTsteve | Apr 13, 2011 6:56:14 PM