Baltimore | Crime | Maryland | Transgender

Transgender Woman Involved In Baltimore Attack Speaks Out

Chrissy
The transgender woman who was brutally attacked by two teenage girls in a McDonald's restaurant in Baltimore on Monday is now speaking out. In a video interview with the Baltimore Sun, Chrissy Lee Polis says that the attack has left her fearful of going outside of her home. She also expressed an interest in finding the older woman who helped put a stop to the assault and so she could thank her in person.

Watch the interview, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Rowan, whatever. Damn, people always have to add their two cents of unnecessary b.s. to everything. I clearly said everyone involved should be arrested. I'm informed of the story; I just didn't know the McDonalds employee had made those comments. You happy now?

Posted by: Mel Smith | Apr 24, 2011 11:57:06 AM

2. Breaking News Everyone:

Joel Osteen, America's most famous pastor, and a proud homophobe, is on the cover of USA Weekend! And he is not a black man!!!

Yes, we in the black neighborhoods have our poor bottom of the barrel homophobes, but the homophobes in power do the most damage.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Apr 24, 2011 12:16:16 PM

3. In view of the homophobia in hiphop music, the black community has its work cut out. But I can see that changing. An example is the recent entry about Lil B using the title of his new album to fight homophobia. I hope this beating in Baltimore and the one in Rock Hill, South Carolina will prompt some soul-searching among African-Americans.

I'm not convinced that just avoiding racial slurs prevents a thread from turning into a hate fest. NOM and the Family Research Council always keep the vocabulary polite and never use the f-word when they compare same-sex marriages to bestiality, but I'll bet many of you are offended when they do. One gem from the other thread called the beating in Baltimore "typical savage behaviour" and said that he was "sick and tired of my tax dollars going to feed and educate these mongrels." Another comment implied that I was "sad and hypocritical" because I wouldn't ascribe blanket condemnation to a racial group different than my own.

Maybe Andy Towle shouldn't have closed the comments on the other thread. That's a valid argument, and it's always going to be a subjective decision. But a hate fest using polite language is still a hate fest, and it would be hypocritical to pretend otherwise. If all of this engenders some honest discussion in the black community, some good will come of it. (Keep your eye on the prize...LOL)

Posted by: Phil | Apr 24, 2011 12:16:38 PM

4. Oh please, spare me the sanctity Andy. You took down a post about Lady GaGa where I responded to an attack by someone that disagreed with my opinion (which was no where near as vitriolic as many other posters).

You've taken down multiple posts of mine that may have used a curse word and others for seemingly no reason at all. You're idea of censorship of comments goes far beyond the reasons you just mentioned.

Hey, it's your blog and you certainly have the right. However, I think you could be a bit more ingenuous about your reasoning behind your actions.

Posted by: Keith | Apr 24, 2011 12:33:15 PM

5. Joel Osteen is a homophobe, but it is a blatant lie to claim that he's leading the homophobic charge in the evangelical movement. The "prosperity gospel" is what makes him the most popular preacher in America today, and a lot of evangelicals regard him as a heretic because he rarely alludes to actual scripture. So Mel Smith, you are essentially muddying the argument.

And it is one thing to have a white preacher exhort his congregation to lobby against gay marriage and gay adoption. It is another for gay men, lesbians, and transgenders -- of any race -- to be the routine target of extreme, sometimes homicidal violence on the street on behalf on African-American youth. Yes, there are white, Asian, and Hispanic thugs, but "black-on-queer" extreme violence, such as the murder of that Ecuadorian immigrant in Queens who was mistaken for gay because he was hanging onto his brother, occurs with an alarming frequency. And this is not even to broach the commonplace "no homo" homophobia in rap and hip-hop. Queer African-Americans would do well to stop being so defensive whenever this issue is raised.

Posted by: Jerry | Apr 24, 2011 1:04:59 PM

6. I agree with everyone who said that these McD's employees (and manager) should be fired. But also they should be arrested. Not doing anything makes them accomplices of this horrible homophobic act!

Posted by: Chris in Irvine | Apr 24, 2011 1:28:13 PM

7. Andy, hopefully you now see that a comment predicting the outcome of a thread is not race baiting (which you previously accused me of), nor does it take that kind of comment to bring out the racists. They have ALWAYS been here ready to pounce. As is the case, you must not be persuaded to ease up on your monitoring. Clearly it is needed.

I do think though, that you should take heed to Phil's points and find a way to fine tune it. Like Phil said, it is easy to be a hate monger without ever uttering the N-word. These comments have to be READ to catch the garbage. Maybe you can add a flag button next to each comment to make it easier for you to monitor and for commenters to notify you.
    And Phil, since Andy is only one person, we need to help him by notifying him of the crap. At this point, it's the only way.

Also as Keith pointed out, some comments get removed/blocked for no good reason. Others remain that should have been removed immediately. It's confusing and frustrating.

I appreciate your efforts, Andy. Lord knows the comments have been much more tolerable since you stepped in. It really is a shame that it has even had to go this far.

Posted by: RW | Apr 24, 2011 1:45:56 PM

8. @ Chris in Irvine,

I'm not sure if criminal charges could apply to the employees or manager. Good Samaritan laws generally protect people who choose to help from being sued or prosecuted for unintentional injury. Only Minnesota and Vermont have "duty-to-assist" provisions, and bystanders can comply with those provisions by simply calling 9-1-1. Since the McDonalds manager had already called the police, the employees and manager wouldn't be hit with a misdemeanor even in Minnesota or Vermont.

I think there is one criminal charge that should be considered. I wonder who told the two attackers to leave before the police arrived. They could be charged with interfering with police action.

Posted by: Phil | Apr 24, 2011 1:50:30 PM

9. Jerry, homophobia would not be so rampant in black communities if the religuous people in power did not justify who we are as a people. Joel Osteen being on the cover of USA Weekend should be condemned in the same manner of someone who is racist, sexist, Islamophobic, or anti Jewish.

He should

Posted by: Mel Smith | Apr 24, 2011 2:03:25 PM

10. Also, I never said Osteen was the leading figure against gay rights. And homophobia is deadly, regardless if it's physical or verbal. The gay teens who committed suicide suffered from mental and verbal abuse.

So this discussion about what is the worse type of homophobia is bullsh!t to the core.

The destructive words of leading figures is as destructive as physical violence.

Again, homophobia is destructive regardless if it is mental or physical.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Apr 24, 2011 2:20:12 PM

11. I disagree. There are degrees of 'Homophobia', and it's legitimate to actually fear one type more than another.

I hate the Wall St suits who caused our economic collapse [and politicians of all political parties and ideologies, who created regulations,removed regulations, and passed laws, that facilitating the massive fraud.] I don't 'Fear' them though. I fear getting jumped, robbed, car jacked, pistol whipped, beaten, stabbed, shot, killed. I fear the thugs who roam looking to hurt people for your wallet, debit card,ipod, for kicks, whatever. On a daily basis, that fear [or sense you have to always must be watching your back and surroundings, and be wary especially of certain people under certain situations] is of greater immediate concern to me than the crooks on Wall St and in Washington.

And I can survive the words and preaching Joel Osteen or others. I may not survive being jumped, stabbed, shot a predatory thug in the street on my way home from work

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 24, 2011 3:46:04 PM

12. I remember seeing the video of her horrible attack –before knowing she was a trans- and thinking “why is that bigger woman not defending herself at all?” Now that I know she is a trans woman, still can’t understand her passivity. I’m not blaming her for anything –you are not suppose to be able to fight for yourself to go outside your home- but hey, the trans I got to knew would’ve rip each limb out of those hateful bitches before letting them do what they did. Maybe she took her transition to the extreme.
    Nevertheless, I really hope the attackers get all what the justice system has to offer them to their already ruined lives and more.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Apr 24, 2011 4:17:23 PM

13. Ratbastard, and other people have committed suicide because of being teased and made to feel inferior by those who are in power.

And your mentality about being attack by young black youth is 1980s and 1990s type thinking. Visit black neighborhoods today in NYC. I see white people living and walking around Bedford Stuyvesant, Brooklyn all the time, and Bedstuy is the heart of Black NYC. I see white people living and walking in Harlem,another black inner city mecca. I see white people doing what they want in my neighborhood, and nobody is bothering them.

Again, I am sorry to know that you were a victim of a crime. I hope all those involved received jail time.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Apr 24, 2011 4:31:14 PM

14. Jerry, you throw out two examples and call it an epidemic. Do you know how many ant-gay attacks are perpetrated by black youth or are your statements based entirely on your own perception? You take the actions of a few individuals and castigate a community. Why should these events cause you to suggest that the black community search its soul? We don't have just one.

Also, you can't pardon white preachers for hate speech and then damn the rap community for the same thing. It's the subtle biases and the inability to distinguish between people and groups that makes these threads so hateful in my opinion. If moderating posts eliminates both then wonderful!

Posted by: Robert | Apr 24, 2011 4:41:54 PM

15. @Robert: If one consider polls that gauge support for basic civil rights for gay people, it's clear that the Black Americans tend toward heterosexism more than any other race. According to Gallup, 45-50% of Whites, Asian and Latino people are in favor of gay marriage, while only about 25% of Black people are.

As you said, black people "[don't] have just one" point of view; there are gay-supportive and unsupportive people of all races. Still, no one can deny that the opinion of the average black heterosexual American toward gay people is much more negative than that of the average Asian American, etc.

Posted by: Thomas | Apr 24, 2011 5:17:26 PM

16. I can't find the poll you're referencing but support of gay marriage is not my point. Citing polls that say black Americans are lagging behind in support of gay marriage is different from saying, as Jerry said, most anti-gay crimes are perpetrated by black youth. You might say the poll is symbolic of a wide-spread intolerance of gays that eventually breeds violence, but I think that's an unfair leap and certainly not applicable only to the black community. If opposition to gay rights had a direct correlation to anti-gay violence, wouldn't the group with the largest numbers, not merely percentages, of anti-gay members be responsible for the majority of anti-gay attacks?

Posted by: Robert | Apr 24, 2011 5:40:49 PM

17. @ Thomas,

An important reason for the statistics you cite is that a much higher percentage of the black U.S. population lives in the South compared with the white U.S. population. The less tolerant attitudes of African-Americans in the South reflect the less tolerant attitudes of their white neighbors.

Posted by: Phil | Apr 24, 2011 6:40:33 PM

18. @Robert: I wasn't defending anything that Jerry said beyond the assertion that homophbia is more prevalent among Black Americans than other races. I don't have any info regarding the involvement of black youth in anti-gay/trans hate crimes.

@Phil: That's true, but the disparity still exists within specific geographic regions (eg Black people lagged behind White, Latino and Asian people in opposition to Prop 8).

Posted by: Thomas | Apr 24, 2011 8:11:42 PM

19. I hope those bitches don't get cut any slack cause they're black.

Posted by: Tell It Like It Is | Apr 24, 2011 8:20:20 PM

20. @ Thomas,

The exit poll suggested that black support for Proposition 8 was 70% compared with the state average of 52%, but when researchers looked at the precinct-level voting data later, they decided it was more like 58%. That's still way higher than the state average of 52%. It's obvious that the black community has their work cut out for them. I hope the two recent beatings in Baltimore and Rock Hill, South Carolina start some kind of discussion about how to change attitudes.

Posted by: Phil | Apr 24, 2011 8:30:13 PM

21. @ Thomas,

Here's the link to the San Francisco Chronicle article:

Posted by: Phil | Apr 24, 2011 8:33:05 PM

22. First off - I am not trying to be a troll or insult anyone here.

But my issue is this - there is more black on white violent crime than there is white on black vioent crime. Especially in cities. There just is.

Yet people do not make nearly as big deal about it as they do during the occasions that a black person is a victim of a white person. Like at Duke University during the LaCrosse hoax there were marches and protests and all this hub bub.

When a black person commits a crime the media is almost afriad to report it because I guess they don't want to feed into a stereotype - eveen though it actually happened. And that is what pisses me off.

I honestly think if this were not a transgender woman and just an average white woman we would not be hearing about it. People would just be like "Oh. That poor white chick got beaten by two rough black chicks."

And frankly I think that sucks.

Posted by: Tell It Like It Is | Apr 24, 2011 9:32:27 PM

23. Well Jerry said: the African-American community is by far the most violently homophobic, especially poor and working-class African-Americans. Rather than censoring the acknowledgement of this reality, wouldn't it be better to bring it to the light of day so we can begin to deal with it?

Posted by: Jerry | Apr 24, 2011 8:58:50 AM

Really Jerry? Are we the most, or are we the ones you more than likely LOVE to condemn? Bring what to the light Jerry? There is no need for discussion. What you just said right there is showing your racial hatred of African Americans. Is it all about "The ones who do it THE MOST" or is all about stopping Homophobia, and Transphobia PERIOD. Because the killers of Matthew Sheperd were'nt African American they were low income working class Caucasians.

BTW, Have you noticed the racism in the Gay community? Maybe lets discuss that first and clean our own house before going next door to clean someone elses.

Get a grip Dude......

Posted by: chris da chocolatebearcub | Apr 24, 2011 10:35:28 PM

24. First off - I am not trying to be a troll or insult anyone here.

Posted by: Tell It Like It Is | Apr 24, 2011 9:32:27 PM

Go tell Judy Sheperd that!

Posted by: chris da chocolatebearcub | Apr 24, 2011 10:57:09 PM

25. @Tell it like it is: Cry me a river, dude. Have you checked out black-on-black crime statistics? I BET NOT! Because you seem obsessed only with what whities are going through. As a proud black gay man, I think it's safe to say the black community is in some ways still a community in crisis and this stems from a long history of racism and oppression.

Posted by: redball | Apr 24, 2011 11:27:00 PM